VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys I was just wondering what you thought was the best cd printer available on the market today...I have been reading that a lot of you have the Epson 900 or Epson r300...any suggestions on what I should get? I am going to be labeling a lot of dvds so I was wondering how much the ink runs for too...Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Guest
    might want to check out this thread

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187593
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think I would wait until you can get the new Epson 200 CD/DVD Printer. It will cost 100.00 US. Heres a review...
    http://a-digital-eye.com/Epson200.html
    Quote Quote  
  4. alright when is this Epson r200 supposed to be released?
    Quote Quote  
  5. sometime next month i heard
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I just recently purchased an Epson R300 (But have no disks yet to try out . Anyway, I bought this because a friend of mine at work has one that he uses exclusively for CD labeling (small garage band). All of the disks that he has shown me look incredible.

Now I bought the R300 both for the CD/DVD printing and for the photo printing. My pictures look like they came from the developer (As long as they are on Epson paper, doesn't seem to like the Kodak paper that came with my dig camera.), they look absolutely incredible (also, so far only 4x6 and 5x7 no 8x10). And I haven't seen any smearing yet if the prints get wet.

On to the R200. From my understanding (and this was relayed to me by two different Epson reps), the R200 is the same as the R300, just with the media stick ports removed (They also remove the EXIF/USB port that allows you to print directly from your digital camera). The R200 is supposed (again AFAIK) to have the same 6 color engine that the R300 (and RX500 the multi-function that doesn't print cd's unfortunately) has. As to availability date, the reps didn't have any idea. For Feb., Epson is rolling out their new 8 color Ultra-Chrome printer (R800 I believe).

As I am tech support for two sets of parents (wife and mine) two sets of siblings and various friends(who all have different cameras), having the media stick ports was a great feature. Also, I didn't want to wait any longer for a printer. If you don't need the media reader, and you are willing to wait, I'd highly recommend the R200 over the 900 series Epson. Or if you are like me, and can't wait for the new printer to come out, then go get the R300. I haven't been dissapointed yet.

The 900 is only a four color printer while the R300/R200 is a six color printer. Also, the R300 ink tanks are individual, I do not know how the tanks are arranged on the 900 if there is four seperate tanks or if there is a black and color tank. One other advantage to the R300 vs the 900, is the cd tray loader is front fed on the R300, whereas the 900 is fed from the rear of the printer. One thing to keep in mind though with the R300, is that the cd/dvd is pulled into the printer. When the disk is printed to, the cd tray sticks out of the back of the printer (there is a little feed slot to allow the tray to come back out), so you have to leave a few inches of clearance to the rear of your printer.

So far I have only had my printer for about a week now, but I have no regrets. Well, except for not having any blank media, but hopefully the fed-ex delivery man will correct that tomorrow.

kosekjm

OK, scratch the comment that I made about the Exif port. Based on the picture that is on the review that bodyslide mentioned, it looks like the front panel usb connector appears to be there, so maybe they haven't removed that port, but the media reader is gone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I emailed Epson about this printer and they said it would be available in the US in March...
    Quote Quote  
  8. sorry I'm pretty new to this so what do the media stick ports do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most digital camera's save the images onto media cards, so instead of plugging your camera into your pc and uploading the pictures you could simply take out the media card and shove it straight into the R300 and print your pics out.
    Quote Quote