VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Have you had a chance to check your DVD-r recently? You know, the older ones.
    Once they were playing without problem. How about now?
    Any loss of data? Freezing? Stuttering?

Believe it or not, now we are facing the most terrifying problem - the QUALITY of the blanc DVD’s and their LONGEVITY . I am afraid that we will have to face this problem for some time to come. Because of the poor manufacturing of this discs and the poor quality of the dye that is used, the life expectancy of the blanc DVD’s is completely uncertain. Contrary to the wide believe that blanc DVD’s would last 100 years, the real life experience is showing us that the DVD recordings last, in average, from only 6 months (my personal experience as a beta tester for one new product) up to 3 years.

Frightening, isn’t it?

Factors that affect disc life expectancy also include:

- Condition of the disc before recording
    - Quality of the disc recording
    - Handling and maintenance
    - Environmental conditions

All the types of DVD discs use a different data layer material (molded aluminum, organic dye, or phase-changing film). Deterioration of this material is the primary cause for disc degradation and ultimately "end of life" for the disc assuming proper physical handling.
    The environmental forces will degrade the polycarbonate substrate layer (clear plastic that makes up most of the disc) at a much slower rate than the data layer. As a DVD-r users, we can’t notice early degradation because the error detection and correction capability built into the DVD player system will correct a certain number of errors. We will notice the problem only when the error correction coding is unable to fully correct the errors.

One method for determining end of life for a disc is based on the number of errors on a disc before the error correction occurs. The chance of disc failure increases with the number of errors, but it is impossible to define the number of errors in a disc that will absolutely cause a performance problem because it depends on the number of errors left, after error correction, and their distribution within the data. When the number of errors (before error correction) on a disc increases to a certain level, the chance of disc failure, even if small, can be deemed unacceptable, and thus signal the disc's end of life.

So what is FOR YOU the life expectancy of a disc?

FOR ME, it means the length of time for which the disc remains usable WITHOUT ANY ACCEPTABLE AMOUNT OF DEGRADATION.

And now the million dollar question: how much and what type of degradation are acceptable for the manufacturers in order to rate DVD life expectancy of 100 years?

Manufacturers tend to test discs by using accelerated aging methodologies with controlled extreme temperature and humidity influences over a relatively short period of time. However, it is not always clear how a manufacturer interprets their measurements for determining a disc's end of life.
    The corrosion of the metal part of the disc and the degradation of the dye based layer naturally take its toll over time. High temperatures and humidity will accelerate the process. Prolonged exposure to UV light can degrade the dye properties and eventually make the data unreadable. Heat buildup within the disc, caused by sunlight or close proximity to heated light sources, or even from the laser pickup also accelerates dye degradation.
    Independent laboratories have published few, if any, life expectancy reports for these discs.

So, have you had a chance to check your DVD-r recently? You know, the older ones.
    Quote Quote  
  2. My first 10 DVDR's were made on 1X princo DVD-R about a year ago now and they play back fine to this day.
    Quote Quote  
  3. as long as you keep them in a safe place, inside cases then they will last a lifetime.

you know, just don't use them to play fetch with the dog and you should be fine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Now we are facing the most terrifying problem:
    YOUR DVD’S ARE DYING !
    **** it.

We're dying. That must be much scarier.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wow, what kind of retarded post is this? How much free time did you have on your hands? LOL...cd's are dying, too. So are your hard drives. So are you Big deal!
    -Yar, matey!-
    Quote Quote  
  6. Guest
    I remember when cds came out. Life expectancy of 10 years. My police album from 1984 plays just fine. But, then again,who knows
    Quote Quote  
  7. ................................DIEING(as in Dead) not DYING(as in Coloring).....
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Someone else told me beta machines would die.
    Quote Quote  
  9. From these postings, so far, it seems to me that I am the only one using DVD-r for archiving important events!
    Fair enough.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Defense spoke of this months ago. Certain brands are worse than others.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  11. someone has been using CMC
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by marshalljames
    ................................DIEING(as in Dead) not DYING(as in Coloring).....
    For future reference:

Main Entry: die
    Inflected Form: dy·ing
    1 : to pass from physical life

Main Entry: dye
    1 : color from dyeing
    Quote Quote  
  13. Ashes to ashes,
    dust to dust,
    our DVD's are dying so good media is a must.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Zo...cev,

Throw some brand/manufacturer names at us....They might already be dead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you talking DVD-ROT
    http://hometheater.about.com/cs/dvdlaserdisc/a/aadvdrota.htm

If Not
    JUST USE QUALITY BRANDS

2 discs I burned on a A03 in 1999
    1. Media ARITA doesn't play (even in 99..only the A03 would play it)
    2. Verbatim 2X ...Plays Fine

SO IT BE THE MEDIA QUALITY to look for!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Even if they do have a short shelf life, the format will be replaced by something better long before they die. Either blue-ray, or multiple layers, or whatever else is around the corner. If I can get 5 or 6 movies on one disk, I'd be very tempted to transfer my collection to that medium....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My very first Ritek G01 disc that I paid nearly $4 for still plays fine.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Zorica,
    They're only 1's and 0's man. Worst case scenario, stick it in your future DVD compatible player, and load it on to your H.D.D.

Next step, authour the info. for the next generation of media..

Life's too short!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  19. my DVD-Rs are only about a year old... so hopefully fine, but I'm going through my CDR archives and I am finding problems with some Memorex ones from early 2000, luckily I used 2 for archives, as I didn't have 80min Taiyo Yudens at the time and the files were larger. but both Memorex discs are bad. Mostly I only used Taiyo Yudens except when I need the 700mb ones for large files... But even my early dark green Maxell discs from 97 are fine. It's just the damn Memorex. I know DVD-R is very different... but obvisously there are the same concerns... also, I believe CD-Rs became worse with the faster speeds and lighter dyes. so perhaps lower X speed DVD-Rs will also be better in the long run.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From my experience (APR 2001) All DVD-R media.

TDK (media ID TDK) Pioneer (media ID PVC) still fine since Apr/May/June 2001

Princo 1x all dead after 2 years (some only lasted 6 months on the outer edges)

Ritek G03 - my first batches from late 2001-early 2002, mostly showing read errors now, begining, end, middle, everywhere. Still able to recover with a Pioneer A05, not readable in Lite On 165, Lite On 166, Pioneer 116, Toshiba SD-R112, Pioneer A03, Panasonic LF-D311. Most set tops skip and lock.

Lead Data 1x, 4x, most dead after 8 months, some are 1.5years and still good.

Fake MXL Media ID, 90% dead 5-7 months.

Verbatim (media ID MCC) 2 years-6months no problems here either.

Not aged enough (1 year old or newer)

Ritek G04
    Taiyo Yuden (2x, 4x)
    Giga Storage (GSC001 1x and 4x)
    ProdiscS03 (4x)

I do have a few (50) of the first GSC001 1x put out 2 years ago under the ID brand still good. These are the older "orange" dye GSCs, not the new "purple" GSC.

Besides the Ritek G04s, none of the other brands have shown problems. The Ritek problems are not consistant. Maybe 200 out of every 600 have shown errors, while the others have been perfect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1/4 Bad is not good!!

I'm also finding Apple 1X media (RITEK 02inside)
    burned with my a03 in 2000 is unreadable a scant 4 years later!
    just like the ARITA BLANK I POSTED ABOUT EARLIER

No problems with
    VERBATIMS
    IMATIONS-tho' some of their CD's SUCK
    PRINCO 2X
    TDK 2X
    FUJI 2X & 4X
    MEMOREX DVD --(tho' their CD's SUCK as above)
    Quote Quote  
  22. I wonder what happens to video store. I bought some used DVD from BlockBluster and it plays fine. I don't think video store keep DVD in good condition.

I don't think the media used by video manufacturers is better than most media in the market. Maybe they use different burning technicals.

Otherwise you have to ack up your nackups every six months if you use poor media. 52x DVD burner is coming soon, which will make your life easier. :>

If that's true, DVD is one of the biggest scams.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought some used DVD from BlockBluster and it plays fine
    ITS NOT A BURNABLE YOU'RE RENTING
    but a REPLICATED and GLUED dual layer DVD MANUFATURING RELIC
    We're talking about what we can burn here!

A manufactured disc can take a lot more scratches.
    Brightness doesn't ruin a manufactured disc..
    but if you want to erase a DISC YOU BURNED, (make it unplayable) just EXPOSE your discs to sunlight.!
    LIGHT WILL WRECK your DVD!! KEEP IN A FAIRLY COOL, DARK PLACE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="dcsos"]1/4 Bad is not good!!

[quote]

Most of these were right after the burn. Nothing like getting a case of media just to return 25% of it. I quit buying cases, and started only using 100 packs twice a week incase of bad batches.

Ritek released some real shitty media early/mid 2003. Ruined me as a customer for life. First we had a shortage of Ritek G03 for weeks and weeks. Then they'd come in, and gone again same day. Then came the poor quality.

They also had a spell of dirty dye. The discs would look finger printed right out of the factory red plastic Ridata wrap. Users blamed Meritline, but then they popped up everywhere (New Egg, Rima, Supermedia Store). Must of fixed it when the matted for gone for a few weeks and replace by small qty of the old shiney silvers.

Pioneer at one time certified Ritek G03 media for 2x (A04) but removed it from the rumor of using golden samples.

From other users, Ritek had a good run mid/late 2003, but more and more compliants are showing up again. Even TDK uses the G04 (4x media) for their 2x OEM, and a different OEM for the TDK DVD-R 4x line. Perhaps Ritek is more focussed on the OEM market, and/or deligates more time energy to their deal(s) with Ricoh.

Moral of the story, you get what you pay for.

Apple 1X media (RITEK 02inside)???????

Only seen Apple 2x (MXL and PVC). Never had the unpleasure of using RitekG01, RitekG02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So far I almost only have used Princo-1x on my Pioneer A03 (about 170) since about 18 months and so far did not had any media related problems with respect to compatibility and lifetime. So far all are still readable in all DVD-drives accessible for me.

I think the storage place is also important. Until recently I used to store CD-Rs with the papersleves they were sold in. To my surprise I found that those papersleeve which had an adhesive at the flip to temporaily close the flip (just like the same adhesive used for sticky envelope flips) showed the effect after about 1,5-2 years this adhesive degrades and its color changes from transparent/white to brown. These brown degradation product within the degradation time partly has diffused into the CD-R-dye-layer rendering that part of the disc (the outer edge) unreadable. On the disc a brownish portion is visible and if you hold the disc against a bright light the dye-layer in this section appears to be thinner. Papersleeves without this adhesive on the flip do not show this effect.

Therefore do not store CD-R's or DVD-+R's within papersleeves with adhesive flips over longer periods.

I have shifted using plastic-sleeves with a kind of felt-layer in the middle and two pouches on each side.

CU

Schmendrick
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you getz what youz pay for..cheap disc's (al la princo's) cheap playback.

I've notice this (stuttering & pausing) with some princo's( about 1 in 20) ...especially their (have to laugh) "A" grade discs!

yet, you have to also take into the age of the laser in your DVD player...they don't last forever, they degrade....just check the original playstation's.

i have laos worked with industrial lasers & domestic consunmer laser devices...DVD?CD palyers etc, yes their lasers do degrade!

SO, is it the recorded Disc or the Laser...a bit of both!
    Arsetralia
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought the original post was trying to sell something at first. Maybe a spray to protect our dvds. Then, at the end of the post, I realized it was just another damn public service announcement.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My DVDs from 2001 are fine. Don't use junk discs or bargain bin discs.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  29. ................................DIEING(as in Dead) not DYING(as in Coloring).....
    Are you a complete moron? DIEING is not a word.
    -Yar, matey!-
    Quote Quote  
  30. From reading this topic it almost seems like Ritek should have a short lifetime? I thought RitekG04 should be a good media, but I might be wrong. What experience do you people have from old Riteks?

I just bought 100 RitekG04, maybe I should hold on to dvd+r with ricoh dye, because no problems with discs I burnt 1,5 year ago. However I burnt like 10 prodisc a year ago and those disk don't play or having lots of read errors today!
    Quote Quote