VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I burn dvd-rs in my pioneer a03 dvd burner. I use nero 5.5 the latest version. When I go to cancel the burn, it cancels but wont eject my disc. It is still lit up like it is burning. I press the eject button and it wont eject. I also ctrl alt del and cancel nero. It still wont eject after. I have to restart the computer to eject it. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What OS are you using? XP-Cancel in Task Manager. W98-haven't used in quite a while.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using xp. I used the task bar. I cancelled the nero in the task bar. Maybe I need to cancel an additional task I am not aware of or used the task bar wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use Nero 5 also. Just out of curiousity, I tried a cancel with some crappy CD blanks I had. I let it get about 1/3 of the way into the burn and cancelled. It took a few seconds, then cancelled. A few seconds later it ejected the disc. No problem. I didn't want to try it with a DVD. Probably what is going on is the program is caching the data and when you cancel, it still keeps that going. The drive and the program are still busy, that's why the disc won't eject. Normally you don't cancel a burn and your disc will be toasted anyway. Unless you can locate which process is still running and cancel that, reboot is probably a good solution as any.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, when a burn process is started, the drive is "locked". It sounds like there is a communications problem between Nero and your drive where the drive isn't receiving or isn't acknowledging the "unlock" signal. This is fairly common in my experience and can perhaps be cured by updating IDE controller drivers or changing the burning software, but not all the time.

Basically the only thing to do is fiddle around with anything having to do with the IDE subsystem or that drive in particular until you either get fed up or you fix it. Try installing or reinstalling an ASPI layer, update IDE controller drivers like I mentioned, change the drive's position on the IDE channel, try another burning program, make sure SP1 is installed, etc., etc., etc.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but like I said, this is a pretty widespread problem. You can always just do what I do: never canel a burn job once it's started, the disc is ruined either way (unless it's -RW). 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    this is a pretty widespread problem
    Agree. Specially when aborting operations. Seems to leave the SCSI layer (i think) in a state that can't be fixed by any other means than reboot.

/Mats
    Quote Quote