VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. so is it best to capture my dv home movie using Ulead Videostudio to avi format and then encode it to mpg2? I think the default setting was mpg
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if you are capturing a video from your firewire camcorder, then it will always be captured in dv avi format. technically, with firewire dv camcorders, its not really capturing at all. its a file transfer between the camera and the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. my first capture from my dv via firewire was in mpg for some reason. In Ulead, there is an option and I changed it to capture to dv avi, so maybe it captured and encoded on the fly? Im not sure, but I checked the props and it was definitely an mpg file. strange
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you capture with POWER VCR then you can capture in Many formats. I find it works well to capture in PAL DVD and the result is pretty good.
    "Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i see what you are saying. converting to mpg while capturing uses a lot of processing power. what are you going to be doing with these captures? if you are going to do any kind of editing at all, i woud suggest capturing to avi first. avi is a much better format for editing. then you can convert to mpg, and select the best settings for your dvd
    Quote Quote  
  6. With Ulead you can "capture" straight to MPEG on the fly from DV via firewire, but I'm not so sure about the quality. It's better to do an AVI--->MPEG encode later with a good encoder.
    Quote Quote