VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. FBI officials said the idea was conceived jointly by the agency's cyber crime division and representatives of the entertainment and software industries, who claim they've lost billions of dollars due to digital piracy.

"This anti-piracy seal should serve as a warning to those who contemplate the theft of intellectual property, that the FBI will actively investigate cyber crimes and will bring the perpetrators of these criminal acts to justice," said Jana Monroe, assistant director of the FBI's cyber division.

Like the warning messages that have appeared on VHS tapes and DVDs for years, the new labels spell out that unauthorized copying and distribution of digital content is punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of $250,000.

It will be up to the individual entertainment companies and software manufacturers to decide whether to display the new FBI warnings. Representatives of the various trade groups for the film, software and music industries said Thursday their members were studying whether to affix the warnings on packaging or directly on the CDs and DVDs, so it's unknown how soon they may begin to appear in the marketplace.

U.S. software companies lose up to $12 billion a year to piracy, according to the Software and Information Industry Association. Music companies lost more than $4.6 billion worldwide last year, according to the RIAA, and movie industry officials pegged their annual losses from bootlegged films at more than $3.5 billion.

The entertainment and computer industry has tried to stem piracy by making CDs and DVDs harder to duplicate. But the rise of free file-sharing networks on the Internet the past five years has made it easy for millions of individuals to distribute songs, movies and software worldwide.

The companies have tried civil litigation against firms who enable online file-sharing and last year, the recording industry launched an ongoing wave of lawsuits against individual file-sharers.

"We hope that this is an attention-grabbing reminder to music fans," said Brad Buckles, executive vice president of the Recording Industry Association of America. "Piracy is no victimless crime."

Monroe, whose FBI cyber division was created 18 months ago, said cyber crime is now the agency's third priority behind terrorism and counterintelligence.

Fred von Lohmann, a senior intellectual property attorney for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, said he doubts the new warning program will work.

"I'm under no illusions that this kind of label is going to change public perceptions," he said, adding the labels will likely get the same reaction that many people have had to the warnings that appear at the start of movie rentals.

"They found that much more annoying than edifying, and I think that's probably how this will be viewed."

Von Lohmann added the warnings are misleading because they don't explain to consumers that there are exceptions under copyright law, such as one that allows people to make backup copies of their software and other media.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dvdguy

Monroe, whose FBI cyber division was created 18 months ago, said cyber crime is now the agency's third priority behind terrorism and counterintelligence.
    Wow! Only in business for 18-months, before coming-up with the "Warning Label" idea. 8) I guess they felt the pressure to accomplish something. :P

I can only imagine what they would accomplish if this was a higher priority.

I'm also not surprised that being "counter-intelligent" is a higher priority.

Mike
    "Dare to be Stupid!" - Wierd Al Yankovic
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If they are counter-intelligent - - does that mean they don't need their mother to make them clean up the mess they made in the kitchen??

Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Two words:"Fair Use"
    The FBI probably spent millions of dollars to come up with this brilliant strategy....our tax dollars at work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm also not surprised that being "counter-intelligent" is a higher priority.
    And I'm not surprised that being terrorists is right up there as well.
    They're doing a fine job. The RIAA MPAA Gestapo is proud I'm sure.

I'll bet they can't wait to make an example out of someone, anyone.
    "Let's make the perpetrator where a scarlet CD/DVD around his/her neck for all to see".
    "It is not enough to obey Big Brother. You must love him".
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In all seriousness, though...

It does seem sad that Terrorism would even be mentioned in the same breath (sentence?) as "cyber crime".

Combatting the former should far out-weigh the latter.

Mike
    "Dare to be Stupid!" - Wierd Al Yankovic
    Quote Quote  
  7. FBI=Federal Bureau of Idiots.
    man,when i copy dvds for people,i stick the FBI warnings on the disc,and some trailers too,making it appear more authentic.
    but putting a sticker like a ciggy packet on dvds,is a joke.
    who gives a shit.!! really
    Quote Quote  
  8. if this is to combat "cyber-crime" its a bit of a joke as people who download the illegal music will never see the cd, lmao
    Quote Quote  
  9. I am sure everyone is going to stop making copies for their personal usage, such as archiving. Ha. I find it rather ironic that Sony makes, produces, and distributes "records," complains about copyright infringement, yet makes MP3 players. What do they think they are going to be used for? Does that mean that they are authorizing the reproduction of copyrighted music? Does Sony not make DVD burners and DVD disks? CD burners and disks?

Looking at a Sony Music CD, it says "Unauthorized copying, reproduction, hiring, lending(so don't let your friends borrow the original!), public performances (cannot play it for others) and broadcasting prohibited." So, if Sony makes devices to play and copy music and video, does that mean that they are authorizing?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I am sure everyone is going to stop making copies for their personal usage, such as archiving. Ha. I find it rather ironic that Sony makes, produces, and distributes "records," complains about copyright infringement, yet makes MP3 players. What do they think they are going to be used for? Does that mean that they are authorizing the reproduction of copyrighted music? Does Sony not make DVD burners and DVD disks? CD burners and disks?

Looking at a Sony Music CD, it says "Unauthorized copying, reproduction, hiring, lending(so don't let your friends borrow the original!), public performances (cannot play it for others) and broadcasting prohibited." So, if Sony makes devices to play and copy music and video, does that mean that they are authorizing?
    Quote Quote  
  11. U should give a link to the story & post a paragraph of it, not all of it cause that of course, would violate copyright & we wouldn't be caught doing that
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I want ID theft fixed ... a REAL cyber crime ... I don't care about copying MP3's ..
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. But that would require serious govermental intervention. Just like with smoking, music copiers are easy. The war on drugs is to hard, so go after smoking (not that smoking is a good thing, but it is an easy target.) How about driving issues?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was Joe Camel who made me burn my first CD.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Like the warning messages that have appeared on VHS tapes and DVDs for years, the new labels spell out that unauthorized copying and distribution of digital content is punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of $250,000.
    Considering how well this has worked for VHS, I'm not all that worried about DVD's, or anything else....
    Quote Quote