VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone have an opinion on lens filters? i.e. UV, etc. I was wondering if they are worth the money, will they make my videos look any better? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just for the reason a $20 lens filter will protect the camera lens from getting accidentally scratched is worth it on it's own. Replacing a lens filter is a lot better than having to get your camera lens replaced, which would cost you big $$$.
    Quote Quote  
  3. putting a UV filter on my camera is the absolute first thing I do when I haul my new camera out of the packaging for the reasons given above.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What they said. A UV filter is the cheapest insurance you can buy. Less then $10.00 at a local photo/video shop for a 37mm.

As for all of the other filters, it's a toss up. If you know for sure that you want an effect then a filter may be the way to go, you don't have to spend the time adding it in your NLE and waiting for it to render. However if later you don't like it you have to either live with it or re-shoot the video. But Tiffin and others have some real nice filters. I keep a set of Polarizers in my kit because it will remove glare that you can't do in editing. If you put one on top of another you can "dial in" a "ND filter effect" by turning one to adjust the amount of light blocked. Star filters are also something that is easier to do with a filter. But once you do it your stuck with it.
    Quote Quote