VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How Much Time Do You Spend Commuting To Work/School? (1 Way)

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    How much time do you spend in you vehicle commuting back and forth to work/school? Time is for 1 way.

Poll Submitted by: stiltman

I spend 30 minutes to both work and school.
    Quote Quote  
  2. A month ago I used to start at 9.00am and it used to take me over an hour to go 20 miles, but now I start at 7.30am and I do it in 30 minutes. Personally I think it's worth the inconvenience of getting up that much earlier as I also finish at 4pm and avoid the worst traffic at the end of the day as well.

I actually get over an hour added to my own time every day.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It takes me 45-50 minutes, I live in a small town and drive to the BIG city 50 miles away to work, mostly highway and with hours of 7-3:30, I too miss most of the heavy traffic.
    Thank you, Thank you very much - Elvis
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1 1/2 hours each way (125km each way)
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ye gods that a pretty high average speed!!!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have the luxury to walk to work...25 minutes each way. Of course that translates to 5 minutes by car...but what fun is that?
    have you hugged your bot today???
    http://www.superhappyfunbot.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I now live about 6 blocks from my work, so it's a 10 minute walk, or a 5 minute drive.

I used to live in Woodbridge, VA and work in Arlington, VA. , so my commute for about 7 years was 90 minutes each way, in stop-and-go traffic on I-95.
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"
    Quote Quote  
  8. To university, 35 minutes - 60 minutes depending on time of day, whether I feel like speeding etc. I'm lucky in that my university timetable normally means I avoid peak hour traffic and usually heading in the opposite direction of the main traffic flow.

To work, 2 minute drive / 5 minute walk. I drive though because my house is on a hill and my work is at the bottom so whilst the walk their is nice and relaxing I couldn't be stuffed walking back up the hill after working.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It takes me just under six minutes to travel 1.8 miles to work.Yes, I timed/checked it on the dashboard gauge once
    I've always lived in this village and then a job came up in '95 which saved me nearly an hour each way in travelling time.
    Ten hours saved a week and more money?
    Superb!!!!!!!!!
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pacmania_2001
    To work, 2 minute drive / 5 minute walk. I drive though because my house is on a hill and my work is at the bottom so whilst the walk their is nice and relaxing I couldn't be stuffed walking back up the hill after working.
    Say hello to heart disease.
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I myself am lazy....

I have and work at keeping the job I have as it is a minimal expense to get to work. I get up 9:15, leave for work at 9:45 to 9:50 (6-8 minute drive depending on if 1, 2 or none of the lights are red) and arrive in time to open up for business at 10Am.

I spend approx $10-15 a month on gas.. 3000+ miles a year on the car.
    No rush hour traffic = Heaven

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  12. 1 minute. And I drive an SUV. So you SUV haters can STFU about SUV drives using more gas than you do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Currently, it's less than 10 minute drive...

@BJ_M: Your post brings back memories... I used to live in Toronto and 90 minutes was my normal commute from Brown's Line / Lakeshore to Victoria Park / Sheppard...
    Quote Quote  
  14. I live in one city but drive to another, so on average it works out to be 1 1/2 hours each way to work for about 90 miles. The last 2 weeks I've been telecommuting, so it only takes about 1 min to get from the bedroom or bathroom to my office/bedroom/new baby room...
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I work at the eastern edge of Albuquerque and live at the western edge, but at 5:45am the interstate is pretty empty so it goes fast. 25 minutes in the morning and 30 in the afternoon for a 16-mile one-way commute.
    Quote Quote  
  16. 12 minutes on the city bus!! and a fast 7 minute walk to the orifice. I generally read on the bus so it goes pretty fast.

The ride costs ~80c. I do drive a small truck - on the weekends. Commuting sucks.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Depending on which office, it's either 30 minutes or 50 minutes each morning.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I live and work at the same city. Takes me 60+ minutes to drive. Only luxury is that I listen a whole different CD everyday... Traffic is horrible. It's going to become impossible during the summer Olympics.

Quiz: Guessed where I live?
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by SaSi
    I live and work at the same city. Takes me 60+ minutes to drive. Only luxury is that I listen a whole different CD everyday... Traffic is horrible. It's going to become impossible during the summer Olympics.

Athens?
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stiltman
    Originally Posted by SaSi

Athens?
    Right!
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    5 miles, 7 minutes.........

Although I have done it in 4!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    45min is typical. I've been thinking about moving out closer to work, but I just don't like that area - too many soccer moms and spoiled rich kids.

If I want to show up at 9:00am, I can walk out the door at 8:10 and be at my desk before 9:00. When I have to show up at 6:00am I need to walk out by 5:00. When I need to be there at 8:00am I have to be on the road by 7:00, and even then I sometimes show up a few minutes late. They told me I could come in at 9:00 when I started, but then they started assigning me scheduled work at 8:00 all the time. I'm not too happy about that.
    A man without a woman is like a statue without pigeons.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    about 45 minutes
    I live in Brisbane and work in Ipswich ~35km west of Bris
    the annoying thing is it only takes me 15 minutes to drive along the motorway between the cities and half an hour to get through the peak hour traffic at each end
    Starting at 9am and leaving at 5pm is ok
    Quote Quote  
  24. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    12 minutes; But I have a company car.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    12 minutes; But I have a company car.

Why the 'but'?
    Would it be like half an hour with a regular car?
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  26. Don't you know that company cars can do 150km/hour.... in reverse.
    Quote Quote  
  27. 10 mile trip, takes around 20 minutes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't you know that company cars can do 150km/hour.... in reverse.
    almost as fast as rental cars -- but rental cars can hold more and also can corner harder ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    Don't you know that company cars can do 150km/hour.... in reverse.
    almost as fast as rental cars -- but rental cars can hold more and also can corner harder ...
    Oh, and go anywhere! Who needs an SUV when you've got a company car...
    Quote Quote