VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. HDTV 1394 connections. Im looking to purchase an HDTV set and DVHS VCR. Both of these devices have 1394 outputs on them. Has anyone tried using this sort of connection to capture into a PC the straight Digital HDTV source? Or does anyone know what these connections are for?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My buddy has tried hooking a D-VHS to his PC via firewire, but he had no luck. The main purpose for firewire on the D-VHS is to connect it to a seperate HDTV set-top box or HDTV with a built in HD tuner. This connection is the only way for the D-VHS recorder to record HDTV programs. The unit has an internal HD tuner for watching shows, but it needs to record off an external one for some reason. I doubt what I said makes any sense.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks,Actually that much I knew. I was look at Mitsubishis HDTV stuff since Im getting one of their 65" behemoths. I saw the reference for the firewire for the HDTV recording. I was wondering also if you could that that firewire output from the HDTV-TUNER to the PC rather than to the DVHS unit.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Big_glare
    HDTV 1394 connections. Im looking to purchase an HDTV set and DVHS VCR. Both of these devices have 1394 outputs on them. Has anyone tried using this sort of connection to capture into a PC the straight Digital HDTV source? Or does anyone know what these connections are for?
    I wish this were possible but according to someone in this thread, it's not.

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199218&highlight=dvhs

(mrracer's post).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Even easier, I quote myself.

"Hi Everyone, Please be careful considering D-VHS. A D-VHS VCR cannot transfer video from D-VHS or analog VHS through firewire to a computer (except possibly to an HDTV Tuner card). The firewire output on D-VHS is not the same as the DV format firewire output on a DV camera or an analog-digital converter such as the Canopus ADVC-100. The only thing they have in common is the cable used.

Firewire, as used in the D-VHS VCR format, records or playsback only digital HDTV (ATSC?) signals to/from either an HDTV reciever (setup box) or an integrated HDTV tuner inside a HD television.

Please do not buy a D-VHS VCR thinking it can transfer either D-VHS or VHS video to a PC for editing and DVD creation, because they simply cannot do this."
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    This thread is a joke and full of horse $hit, Here is why:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/391517-Capturing-VHS-With-D-VHS-Deck-MPEG-2
    Last edited by dellsam34; 29th Jun 2023 at 03:27.
    Quote Quote