VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, when you open Visual C++ 6.0 and choose NEW, what do you select, what type of project, what are the programs like DVD Decrypter done with...eg: MFC etc...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ace-Of-Spades
    Hey, when you open Visual C++ 6.0 and choose NEW, what do you select, what type of project, what are the programs like DVD Decrypter done with...eg: MFC etc...
    Ugh.. I'd say you're at the "Hello world" stage of programming. Don't worry about what other projects do; just pick single-threaded MFC and go. OR better yet, don't use MFC at all. Ditch VC++6 for the newest Vstudio.NET. The C++ compiler in that is much better (better support for boost, etc.).

Right now is probably not a good time to start learning C++ Windows programming. Microsoft is pushing everyone towards "managed" C++ for their dotNET crap. Borland has abandoned C++ Developers. Without any decent alternatives, I'm beginning to question the future of C++ on the Windows platform (at least for GUI development).

Ask yourself whether you want to learn C++ or develop windows applications. If the latter; you'd be better served by switching to another language.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I lready know visual Basic, but i want to move onto a more powerful langauge.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Above written:

"Microsoft is pushing everyone towards "managed" C++ for their dotNET crap. Borland has abandoned C++ Developers. Without any decent alternatives, I'm beginning to question the future of C++ on the Windows platform (at least for GUI development"

What is that? Dude where did you get that info from.
    Noone is pushing noone. MS develops C++ because all their libraries are written in it. MFC is based on C++. They only want average user to
    go with their .NET stuff - designed for end-user apps created in very
    convenient way. Dont have to mention that .NET is quite slow and has a lot
    of issues. From what I heard from my friend who is here in USA
    7year programmer, Borland has grown and didn't abandon anyone.
    My teachers never said something like that - abandoned C++ developers.
    They just exhort everybody to use .NET crap because it's gonna be
    integrated in new 64-bit XP Win platforms.
    By the way I just got new MSDN and all new stuff is on the first place in C++. Geeez ppl don't spread gossips!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ufit
    MS develops C++ because all their libraries are written in it. MFC is based on C++. They only want average user to
    go with their .NET stuff - designed for end-user apps created in very
    convenient way.
    From what I heard from my friend who is here in USA
    7year programmer, Borland has grown and didn't abandon anyone.
    OK, let's try some facts:

1) Borland has discontinued C++ Builder
    2) Their replacement product (BuilderX) is a completely different product, using different frameworks. (wxWindows instead of VCL)
    3) VCL for C++ is dead.
    4) There is no migration path for VCL->wxWindows.
    5) This new product isn't even complete yet. What they're selling is a "preview" release (as far as RAD is concerned)
    6) wXwindows is a major step backward compared to the VCL.
    7) Borland has not provided any roadmap for future C++ development.

But don't take my word for it, just read the borland newsgroups (...cppbuilder.non-technical and ....cbuilderx.non-technical ). Borland's treatment of their current (former) customer base is disgraceful.

On the microsoft side, consider how long frameworks like MFC will be maintained, or Win32 for that matter. What is the point of dotNet if not to replace win32? And as for your "average-user" statement, I'd say 90% of all windows developers would fit that category. I admit that I should have qualified my statements with something like "..for typical business applications..". C++ is still needed for high performance apps, like games, video encoders, etc.

Besides, do you really want to expose new C++ users to the nightmare that is MFC
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I work in game development and C++ is still a must.
    Quote Quote