VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to put some clips from commercial dvd's into the dvds I make from my minidv camcorder. What is the easiest and best way to do this. I have adobe premiere and dvdlab and all the basic programs I need. I just dont know the best way to get parts of a .vob and combine it with my .avi files from my minidv camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but haven't done it yet. This is what I would do:

Use DVDShrink and use the crop tool to select only the scene I want, then output with no compression. Delete everything except the VOB. Demux the VOB with Rejig. Now you have an m2v and ac3. If you only need the video, you can delete the ac3, otherwise convert the ac3 to wav so you can import it into Premiere. You'll need to determine if the m2v is interlaced or progressive. You can use Bitrate Viewer for that. If it is interlaced and is lower field first, or it is progressive, then just convert it to DV-AVI and import into Premiere. If it's interlaced and is top field first, you'll have to De-interlace it, then convert it to DV-AVI lower field first so it will work correctly with you DV source in Premiere.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I tried to use DVDshrink on the dvd decripted files and also on a disk. I can not get the crop think to work. The start and end selections are not highlighted and I can not use them. I think I am missing something here. Do I need to do a deep analysis on the files first?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by troyvcd1
    I want to put some clips from commercial dvd's into the dvds I make from my minidv camcorder. What is the easiest and best way to do this. I have adobe premiere and dvdlab and all the basic programs I need. I just dont know the best way to get parts of a .vob and combine it with my .avi files from my minidv camcorder.
    I *think* you can do this with TMPGEnc DVD Author where you select a DVD as your source and let the program convert the VOB files to MPEG files. Then you can use those MPEG files as a clip when authoring.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Rip the movie. Select Open files and select the ripped file. Select Re-author. Another window will open. Open the Main Movie folder and drag and drop the Title to the new re-author window. The Start/End icon will then be selectable
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thanks tommyknocker. I can now create a .vob of the sequence I want. I now am having problems creating a proper avi file for premiere. I have given up on virtualdubmod because every time I try to create an avi file it is corrupt and stutters. I tried to use the latest dvd2avi program but I get 0kb files all the time and it seems that this program was made for only creating d2v files. I also tried to use rejig and I can get m2v file and an ac3 file. I am sure I can create an .wav file from the ac3 but how do I get a proper .avi video file from the m2v.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a compliant m2v file and an AC3 file you are halfway home. Launch IfoEdit, select DVD Author-->Author new DVD. Load the m2v file as video, and the AC3 file as audio. Select the target directory and "OK". The resultant DVD files can be burned by Nero or your favorite burner.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Troyvcd1 wrote:
    I now am having problems creating a proper avi file for premiere. I have given up on virtualdubmod because every time I try to create an avi file it is corrupt and stutters.
    You can use Vdub-mod to create an Uncompressed RGB AVI, or you can install a DV codec and have Vdub create a DV-AVI. Either of thoose will work fine in Premiere.

I just did one the other day actually. It was a scene of a building exploding. Once I demuxed the Vob, I found out it was upper field first. I loaded the m2v in Vdub-mod and used a special filter that switched the field dominace to lower field first. I then ouput it to DV-AVI. I haven't used it with my footage yet, but I know Premiere will have no problems with it.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i tried to create an uncompressed rbg file but the resulting avi is corrupt. I tried to play it with windows media player and it stutters badly and the audio is way off?????????
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you have "Full Procesing" enabled in Vdub?

You obviously didn't Demux the Vob, try Demuxing first. Then feed the m2v into Vdub. You can convert the ac3 to wave seperately.

Looking at your Computer specs, I can see where you might have a problem with stutering. Uncompressed RGB is 30 MB/sec. That's a lot of data that your system needs to read per sec. It could be that your PC simply can't keep up. Try to encode the Uncompressed AVI into Mpeg-2 to see if it playes fine.

I just did a test run of the clip I ripped from the DVD. I put the converted avi with some of my footage and it played flawlesly on the TV!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Download DVDx from the TOOLS area of this site.
    I use it to select the clip I want and then save it out as an mpeg or mpeg2 depending on my needs and use.
    From there it's easy to author to a DVD.
    Simplest way I've found.

--Des
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I try to open the m2v file in virtualdubmod and it always crashes giving me an error about out of bounds memory access. I created the m2v when i demuxed in rejig from the original vob and also tried it with the vob created in shrink. Virtualdubmod always crashes. I used video full processing mode.???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like you have some system issues. Maybe too many codecs, or ME is acting up. You can try installing the Panasonic DV Codec (in the tools section). Load the Vob and choose the Panasonic codec for compression. But if your system is acting up, it may not work with the DV codec either.

Also, remember that you can set the in and out points in Vdub. That way you can narrow your selection to just the material you want.

Good Luck!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've done numerous 'Best of' DVD's. You need:

1) DVDShrink
    2) TMPG Author

That's it. Something to burn with (duh). Technically you can do it all with TMPG Author and AnyDVD, that is assuming you have enough DVD drives :P

Use Shrink in re-author mode and dump your clips into their own folders.

Use TMPG Author and import DVD video.

That's really all there is. There's absolutely no reason to use Adobe (which I do use for other things) if your working from a DVD source, transistions are overrated.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Gazorgan wrote:
    I've done numerous 'Best of' DVD's. You need:
    That's not what he wants to do. He want's to extract a scene frome a DVD and mix it into his own DV footage. For that he will need his Premiere. Your post is wasted.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Really? Why? Did I mis-type? You mean it still won't work?

Nope, it will still work. It depends on how cheesey he want's to get. Exact same method will insert any particular scene from a DVD into a DVD compilation of home movies. As long as you don't do a cheesey transistion, you can drop in the wedding scene from Shrek into your home DVD of a wedding without a hitch.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not interested in transitions but I would like to be able to edit and cut and paste, edit audio have total control of my video in premiere. I dont believe tmpg auth can create avis for that. I do think it is a system problem. I tried to convert another vob and it worked ok to create an avi and the video from that avi was good for premiere also. I dont know why my previous attempts created stutering avi files.

I cant believe it seems there are so few people who are interested in putting some commercial dvd cuts in their home videos. I mean what could be cooler than adding some cool dvd clips in my boring home family videos.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by troyvcd1
    I am not interested in transitions but I would like to be able to edit and cut and paste, edit audio have total control of my video in premiere. I dont believe tmpg auth can create avis for that. I do think it is a system problem. I tried to convert another vob and it worked ok to create an avi and the video from that avi was good for premiere also. I dont know why my previous attempts created stutering avi files.

I cant believe it seems there are so few people who are interested in putting some commercial dvd cuts in their home videos. I mean what could be cooler than adding some cool dvd clips in my boring home family videos.
    I am trying to do the same, however, I cannot find any method to do this...to simply take a clip of a movie and place it into Adobe Premiere along with a home video. Help or accurate suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  19. No offense but all of these posts seem to be suggesting the most complicated method of accomplishing this.

Hook up your dvd player to your capture card, disable macrovision ( - Canopus style!), and capture the scene as an avi.

Import into premiere and edit away!

Why bother with ripping the dvd and dealing with vobs, mpv mp2 whatever...?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Troy some of us use WOMBLE MPEG-2 editor MPEG2VCR

others use VirtualDub fine

And re author in DVD SHRINK to create files to use in another program for Authoring is very easy also
    Your problems seem to stem from one file that wouldn't go..the first other file you tried worked..Truy another. I think you'll find you need to re-rip or re capture the orig!
    I think you should DITCH Windows ME as that could be a big problem..
    Also, when your system makes a file over 4 gigs its useless as ME can't read from NTFS partitions
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let me propose a much easier way to do this. If you have a Mini DV camcorder, it probably has S-video or composite input,..and probably a firewire output to your Computer. Play the DVD and feed the S-video to your Camcorder and put it in Pass Through mode such that the video is converted to DV and saved on your PC in DV .avi format. Since the camcorder can not detect or be bothered by macrovision, it should pass through without problems.

I take S-video signals out of my DirectTV and feed them to my camcorder and then onto my PC in DV format. These are full broadcast movies. I then spend a lot of time, cutting out the commercials and creating a clean movie all in .avi format (740x480). I use VideoStudio 7.0x to do all of this and save the files as .avi files. Then I can do anything I want with them. The audio always stays in sync. If your MiniDV does not have these features you could probably still use composite and feed that into your analog capture card and convert that to .avi format.

I have all the gear right in front of me but it is too late tonight for me to try all of this,... but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Hopes this helps
    "Technology",...It's what keeps us all moving forward.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I take S-video signals out of my DirectTV and feed them to my camcorder and then onto my PC in DV format.
    So here we go thru an analog generation from the DVD but I'll betcha it looks good nonetheless

and it might be easier for you than all these DIGITAL EXTRACTION SCHEMES!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am running xp professional. Probably need to update my profile. Ya I was considering just using my dvd player and using pass thru with my camcorder. Probably would look just as good if not better than the virtualdub meathod. Just is a hassle to disconnect dvd player and hook everything up next to computer.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I figured out how I can get this to work. I take the .vob I need and this can be pretty easily done using dvd decriptor and just choosing the chapter I need to rip to my computer. Then I create an avi and a separate wav with virtualdubmpg. This avi file will not play correctly with any of the mediaplayers I have but I import this avi file into premiere anyway. I separate the avi video and audio in premiere and delete this audio track. I import the separate wav track and then I export the movie in premiere and then the avi file from premiere can be played in the mediaplayers on my computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Excellent! I'm glad you could work it out. Like the saying goes, where there's a will, there's a way.

I haven't gotten a chance to use my building explosion clip in any of my footage yet, but it's ready to go.

Best of luck on your project.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I can understand your desire not to disconnect your DVD, VCR, etc. just to do as I suggested. I didn't even think about the problems doing this. Long ago I purchased a separate DVD player, VCR, and and extra TV, and a Cable and Satallite input just to build a complete NLE setup. It's like a little video studio. Sure makes it easy to create, build, and check just about anything I want to do.

After reading your last post,... which for you is a simpler way of doing this,... I appreciate my system. By the way, my DVD player (APEX 1500 was only $54, and the VCR was $39. The TV was a left over from an earlier upgrade to my family room. Anyway,.. if it works for you,... that's what counts.
    "Technology",...It's what keeps us all moving forward.
    Quote Quote