VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Panasonic DVD player that doesn't support cd-r, but how about those cd-r's that are made for music? They are specially made for older cd players that don't recognize cd-r right? Does anyone know if that would work in a dvd player as well? If it does, then I can buy those special music cd-r's to burn my vcds.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Original CDs are pressed not burnt to CD-R - the media are quite different. I have a Panasonic DVD and find that most CD-RW work but not CD-R. I have even tried silver/diamond coloured CD-R but even with the silver surface, the DVD player could not read the CD-R.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply. The music cd-r's that I'm talking about are not the factory pressed cd's. There are some types of cd-r media that are designed (they have use a different kind of dye on the recordable side) to work in cd players that don't recognize conventional cd-r's. I was just hoping that since these might work in a DVD player as well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The "audio" CD-Rs are functionally little different from your ordinary CD-R discs. I'm not entirely sure of the mechanics behind it, but they have something that is premastered onto them that can be detected by stand-alone CD recorders.

These recorders will only record onto these special "audio" CD-Rs but not ordinary CD-R media. I believe that this has to do with licensing issues.

In summary, audio CD-R media don't work any better than ordinary CD-R media for audio CDs or VCDs. If a CD player has difficulty reading some brands of CD-R media, it is no more likely to be able to read audio CD-R discs either.

The same is true for S/VCDs on CD-R media for DVD players. "Audio" CD-Rs would be a waste of your money.

For those DVD players not designed to read CD-R or CD-RW media, you may be able to find one that works if you experiment with different brands. In these cases, CD-RW often works better.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  5. The difference between "audio" and "data" cdr's is a little thing called pre-paid royalties. The premastered data found on each audio cdr is read by player/recorder, if it is not found the recorder will not record onto the disc because royalties were not paid up-front for the music being recorded / duplicated. The royalty charge is built into the cost of buying the blank "audio" cdr's. The same, if not as technical, arraigment is used in the sale of blank cassette tapes otherwise the recording industry would have never allowed cassette recording to develop. So you see the recording industry has always fought new technologies which tap into their money stream you just didn't realize it.
    Quote Quote