VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have a couple of avi and also mpeg that are short videos recorded from certian parts of like Saturday Night Live. Some of .avi and .mpeg will not play sound, some of them with not play video, and one of them will not do either. Even though it is only some of them I would still very much like them to work. I tried right clicking on the file going to properties then summary tab then advance, wishing it would give me the codec needed to play and listen, however, it is all empty. I also tried to load them in virtualdub to see if the correct codec would be able to be found there instead, however, no such luck. No such luck playing them in different players, like WMP, wimamp, and so on either. How are the .avi and .mpeg able to be fixed to where they have both audio and video? Please and thank you.

I tried the K-Lite Codec Pack and also the Gordian Knot Codec Pack, which will play most of them. I really like the codec's packs because they usually have a lot of codec in one. It is a lot easier that way because there are a lot of codec, which would be hard for me to know all the codec that would need to be installed one at a time? Please and thank you. Codec are also being upgraded all the time. Some of the codec older version's are still used also, for example, DivX 3.11, and so on. I would not know if the older version should be kept and the newer version should be installed also, or if the newer version would take place of the older version? Please and thank you. Is there a better codec pack that would be better to install instead, maybe? Please and thank you.

Would the .avi be able to play if the codec where changed to something else in virutaldub, maybe? Please and thank you.

Would it be easier for me to transfer the .avi, that way if able to get the avi to play both audio and video, then a list of the right codec I would be given to me? Please and thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use GSpot to tell you what codecs you have, and what codec is needed for a video.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Thank you very much for helping me.

I put the .avi in the GSpot it told me that I need the divx 5.0 codec. I am doing something wrong. I tried to install it, however, it still did not play the .avi either. It also said something about 4 other codecs might be compatible with 4 other codec, however, if I right click on the .avi the video compression changes it seems randomly, I think between the 4 other codec it says might be compatible, which none of them will work.

How is the problem about the divx 5.0 to be fixed? Please and thank you.
    Quote Quote