VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i got some tdk 10 packs at staples. The +r had DVD+R47CS10 and were seen as RICOHJPNR01 with dvdinfo pro and 4x.

The -r had DVD-R47AS10 below the barcode and were seen as TDKG02 and 2x.

They did not have many at 10am when they opened so they are probably all gone by now.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I bought 16 of the 10 packs at various Staples in Northern Va - and have put one DVD from each pack through DVDinfo. They all come back as
    Ritek G04 and are 4x. It could be that different areas have more of the older 2x.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I bought a total of 5 packs: 3 +R (labeled as 4x) and 2 -R (labeled as 2x).

The 3 +R packs all show to be 4x RicohJPNR01.
    The 2 -R packs (which are labeled as 2x) show to be 4x Ritek G04.

Since I just got my burner yesterday, and have yet to see how much I'm really going to burn, these 50 should hold me a little while.

Edit: FYI, this was in North Carolina.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by troyvcd1

They did not have many at 10am when they opened so they are probably all gone by now.
    I got there at 12:30 and they were sold out. I talked to the nice manager and he ordered me some, he said the only had a couple in the morning. They should be here sometime this week. He even waved the shipping cost. I hope these are good with my plextor 708a. I've only ever used sony dvd+/-R.
    Quote Quote  
  5. STUPID!
    So I took 3 packs back to another Staples to exchange for 3-- EXACT same. She insisted in scanning them, the gave me $6 back. FOR A STAIGHT EXCHANGE. It's the way the "$2 off instant savings" comes up. So the space doesn't mean anything. But the poor type on that label does.
    So the Made in Taiwan DVD-R
    can be:

2X CMC- label has gap after barcode small clear font.

4X Ritek G04- no gap, larger font- poor quality test- may be breaking up. About a quarter inch of white space at bottom of label.

2X TDK- Largest font- no gap, clearly text. Text fills up most of label.

does this sound right to others? I only can base it on the few I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just got 2 packs of the TDK DVD+R's from Staples in NY. Both packs were Richo's.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ipgpe13
    Just got 2 packs of the TDK DVD+R's from Staples in NY. Both packs were Richo's.

wtf??? all my dvd+r 4x are CMC....
    Quote Quote  
  8. I just bought 10 packs of the TDK DVD+R's. It says 4x on the front and aren't in the slim cases like was stated on the sale paper. Mine was in full size jewel cases, I don't know what that matters, but just thought I'd add that.. lol Anyway, all mine said Made in Tawian DVD+R47CS10 and I'll do some testing to see exactly what I ended up with.. lol.. I was the first one in the store and bought out all the DVD+R's they had, so I hope they work good for me, since I have a TDK burner, it should be compatible I would think.. LOL
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lobe,
    I went back to store and try to exchange for DVD-R but it was gone, they only have 12 DVD+R 4X left, Damm.. I turn it around anc check 12 of them to see what the differnet with all the barcode, they are the same, have a gap space in bottom of the barcode. Now I confuse if I return the good one to get the bad one , we only know it until we check disk by disk on DVDInfo
    And please dont tell me if you all get Ritek04 and Ricoh anymore because I will jump up and down AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    all of mine were CMC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Picked up the last 15 packs of the DVD-R's, me, the wife and kids all went into staples a few times to get the packs. All but 2 packs are the 2x versions. We also picked up the free slim jewel cases. The cashiers were really pissed at us for buying them all. Oh well life goes on and then Little E wins the Daytona 500.

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Picked up (2) 10 packs of TDK DVD-R's.
    Hecho en Taiwan
    TDKG02000000
    2.0x
    Burned at 2.4x in my Lite-On LDW-811s.
    2 good burns thus far.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like the prior post said, Little E won, i got 8 packs of +R which are all RICHO!!!! and burn at 8X on my Lite On 811s. life is good!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Man,

i guess i got all you all beat, i walked out with 15 packs of DVD+R and 4 packs of DVD-r . I could care less what they are because i have burned CMC on my Pioneer A06 flawlessly in the past...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Bodyslide
    Picked up the last 15 packs of the DVD-R's, me, the wife and kids all went into staples a few times to get the packs. All but 2 packs are the 2x versions. We also picked up the free slim jewel cases. The cashiers were really pissed at us for buying them all. Oh well life goes on and then Little E wins the Daytona 500.

ours limited one per costumer so I ordered a + and -, I just looked at the receipt and it says in jewel cases, not slim cases. I guess I'll see how good they are when they get here.

IF they had them in stock I would have bought alot by going through the line a couple times. Damn the people who bought them all before I got there, I hope they got bad ones....lol., I better not think that way, staples may replace them with a really cheap brand when mine come.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I just got back, I bought 32 Total Packs. I grabbed every one I could find.

These are what I have:

14 Packs 2x DVD-R's are TDKMedia Code.

9 Packs 4X DVD+R are RICOH

3 Packs of 2X DVD-R are RitekGO4

1 Pack of 2x DVD-R is MXLRG01

Now the Only ones that Are the CMC's are the Following:

4 Packs of 4X DVD+R are CMC.

I also ordered another 20 Packs of the 4X DVD+R's, and 10 Packs of the 2X DVD-R's. If they are out at your store, you can have them put in a in-store order. They will only put the order in , if they have some in supply. So get them on order fast.

I have looked to find a difference in the packaging, or the Label. I could not find anything. I compared the 4 CMC packs with the 9 Ricoh packs, and have no way of telling the difference.

Hope this helps.

Vizcaya
    Quote Quote  
  16. so the name "TDK" means what?.... nothing. who knows what you'll get. Not a brand to be trusted. but at this price it was a good deal. I don't think I'd chance TDK at all at any higher price than this.

I compared to older TDK DVD-R 2X also, and even the Made in Japan ones don't look as good, and now they are in standard CD jewel cases, where the older ones were in smooth cases with the DVD logo on the top and bottom edge. I know they're just trying to be competive... but why would I buy them again, just because it was good once, who knows what you'll get next time.

as for the Limits.. the store I went to first didn't have a limit but later when I went to another store they had Limit 1 signs, it didn't say it in the ad, so I doubt they could enforce it anyway, as they ring up correctly no matter how many you buy.
    oh well...
    Quote Quote  
  17. I just tested my disc out, I had to download DVDINFOPro which I'd never used it before, so it took me a little while to figure out what I had to do to get the information.. Here is what mine read after writing the first disc. Tell me if they are any good, since I don't know which is better.

Media Information
    Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNR01
    Format Type UDF 1.02
    Volume Name SHANGHIKNIGHTS
    Application id
    Implementation id AHEAD Nero
    Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 2/16/2004 2:05:25
    Format Capacity 4.36GB(4.68GB)
    Book Type DVD+R
    Media Type DVD+R
    Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Data area end sector 22E34Fh
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lobe,dazz87 ...
    Guess what ? . Life is a bed of roses if you know how to make it when you have CMC on your TDK DVD+R 4X.

I bought 6 pack TDK for me and 5 pack for my friends, I testest my 6 of 10 pack, all of them were CMC.

Here is what I did, I went to RETURN all of 6 pack of 10 DVD+R. The price for each was $7.94 each, but after I returned them they refun for me $9.94 each ($7.94+ $2.00 coupon)

Then I went to Circuit City, I asked them for match price with Staple. Circuit City have 10 of DVD+R 4X (not jewel vase BUT DVD black plastic case like the movie you buy in the store ) This one much and much better then jewel case and they will match you 10%. They sell there at 24.99, so do the math (24.99 - 7.94) and they subtract $1.50 for each of 10 pack TDK DVD+R 4X for me.

Okay, I returned I get $2.00 extra, now I get $1.50 more for matching 10%, then now my perfect 10 set of DVD+R 4X only ( $7.94 - $3.50)

Hey, what do you think ? , your life is not ended with CMC and whatelse you can have ???? DDAAAMMM..

Here is the code for my 10 set DVD+R 4X
    Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNR01
    Format Capacity Not Formatted
    Free Blocks 405405696
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
    Book Type DVD+R
    Media Type DVD+R
    Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

I bought 5 of them from CIRCUIT CITY.

Please silence and walk over there to get it. and please leave 5 more set for me, because I will do it for my friends, :P

Have a great days guys,
    Cheers,
    Quote Quote  
  19. excellent! i thought about trying to do a price match somewhere or find more made in Japan ones... but I spent enough time on it. yeah, as I said, they aren't to bright at Staples, I returned 3 for 3... and made $6...?

hell, forget about the media just keep buying and returning them see how much you can make!

about the same thing happened at OD a month ago with one of those buy 1 get 1 free deals, I went to return them and they almost gave me $100 back even though I only paid $42.00... but they caught that, so I only got $52 back... still made $10, they didn't notice I used a $10 coupon.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Wow.. so you ended up with the RICOHJPNR01 disc after all.. lol.. good job!!!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here is what I have come up with on the DVD-R 2x disks.

The ones that were TDKG02000000 Had a individual shrink wrap on each of them. They also said they were made in taiwan on the back paper inside of the plastic jewel case. The bar code sticker had no words on it just numbers.

The ones I got that were RITEKG04 didn't have individual shrink wrap on the jewel cases. They were made in taiwan, but made in taiwan was printed on the bar code sticker and not on the paper inside the back of the jewel cases.

Anyway I burned 12 of the TDKG02000000 and only had one fail during lead in, not sure why. They playback without any problem on my standalone.

As for the RITEKG04 I made 1 movie backup so far at 4X and it playsback without any problems.

Hope this helps someone
    Quote Quote  
  22. cool ty for the info sabercats, im going back to return 14 packs tommorow.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lobe
    Not a brand to be trusted...
    why? because they rebrand media? it is no newsflash that most large media companies do this, the factor that ought to be paid attention to isn't whether or not they do it, it is what is the quality of the media they are willing to put their name to.

in the case of TDK, (my experience is only with the -R media) they come up TDKG02000000 or RITEKG04.

both are terrific. I must respectfully disagree with you.

BTW - I bought 10 packs this morning and they are all TDKG0200000 and threw in a free pack of slims - why not, right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by drewson99
    BTW - I bought 10 packs this morning and they are all TDKG0200000 and threw in a free pack of slims - why not, right?
    LOL, Slims are 100 for free after rebate. Staples 100 free with a $19.00 rebate or Office max free with an $8.00 rebate. Both are the same Belking brand. Obviously OM is the way to go as you pay less upfront.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Went to Staples on Sunday Feb 15, 2004 and they were out of the DVD-R and the DVD+R TDK packs but offered me this:

Pay for them now at the store (I bought 2 packs of the DVD-R discs) and since there were NOT in stock they will be shipping them to my home for FREE !!! They told me they should arrive this Wed.

I needed some DVD-R discs PRONTO though so I bought a 10 pack of the SONY DVD-R discs which were on sale for $14.99

I bought like 4 packs of the SONY DVD-R discs a couple months ago when they were on sale for that same price and some said MADE IN TAIWAN and some said MADE IN AUSTRIA but all burned (most to the very brim) with ZERO read errors using DVDInfoPro.

Just thought I'd pass this info along ...

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jaxxboss
    Staples 100 free with a $19.00 rebate or Office max free with an $8.00 rebate.
    incorrect. $14.94 with a $15 rebate. A $.06 profit!

Both are the same Belking brand.
    that is correct.

Obviously OM is the way to go as you pay less upfront.
    I was already at Staples for the DVDs. for myself and I would guess others, the convenience factor (since there is no bottom line difference) doesn't make OM the "obvious" choice.
    Quote Quote  
  27. The first Staples I went to was out but the second one had the +R with full size jewel cases...yep Ricoh!
    The package says "Made In Taiwan" but here's the media code:RICOHJPNR01.
    Office Depot has Maxell "Buy one get one free" 30 for $27USD but the TDK's are a better deal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by drewson99
    incorrect. $14.94 with a $15 rebate. A $.06 profit!
    I was already at Staples for the DVDs. for myself and I would guess others, the convenience factor (since there is no bottom line difference) doesn't make OM the "obvious" choice.
    Since you want to split hairs, it is actually $24.98 - $10 instant savings - $15 mail-in rebate = free, not $14.94 like you said (2 cent profit). Or maybe you cant subtract 10 from 24.98. The point was that with office max you only have to pay out $8.00 and at Staples you have to pay out $14.98.
    And I was not correct, which you agreed to as I spelled Belkin wrong.

As far as obvious choice, well that is up to the individual. I have both stores right by each other and money in the hand NOW is worth the same amount of money LATER. granted, if you have to spend gas money going from one place to the other then it isnt worth it unless you want to figure out how much interest you can gain with that extra $6.98 compounded to be computed by the actual time it takes to recieve your rebate. Then factor in your MPG and deduct the amount used.
    By hey, who's counting. Not I
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since you want to split hairs
    your original post started the hair-splitting.

Or maybe you cant subtract 10 from 24.98.
    *how* old are you?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nah, my orig post didnt start splitting hairs. In actuality, I thought that your post about buying the TDK's meant that they came WITH the cases and not spindles. That is why I mentioned the FREE 100 pack. Then you had to start the crap about prices and such, so I just threw it back in ur face, thats all. I am 46 years old. Anything else I can help set you straight on?
    Quote Quote