VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you had enough money to purchase any camcorder, which would you choose? a Digital 8? MiniDV? MicroMV? Im thinking on purchase a new hanycam but Im having problems deciding which.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If money were no object I would probably get some professional, broadcast-quality camcorder, but in the consumer/prosumer world, I would recommend MiniDV. I would eliminate MicroMV, because I am only aware of Sony supporting it. What if Sony decided to stop selling MicroMV camcorders and tape. Digital8 and MiniDV use the same compression technique. The Digital8 data might be a little more robust because the tape is larger. Also, the Digital8 camcorders allow you to play back older 8mm recordings. MiniDV, however, offers a smaller size, a broad market base, and there are many varieties of camcorders, from palm-sized ones, to 3-CCD models. I own a Sony DCR-VX2000. It was recently discontinued and replaced with the VX2100. It is a 3-CCD design that also offers excellent low-light capability and supports many different manual adjustments (it can also do full auto everything). I've been very happy with it.

Again, though, I would recommend MiniDV, but there are so many choices of camcorder. The quality is excellent on the few MiniDV camcorders that I have used.
    Tools used: ScenalyzerLive 4.0, Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0, Adobe After Effects 7.0 Professional, Adobe Encore DVD 2.0, IFOedit 0.96, DVD-lab PRO 1.53, Adobe Audition 2.0
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please add a CANON GL2 on your list. You won't be disappointed.

vcdlover
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are at all interested in 16:9 and XLR mic hookup then check out the Sony DSR-PDX10. It is the standard DV video format but also does the DVCAM format. You can get more info from www.dvinfo.com and go to the PDX10 forum. Great camera so far. It does have a 7 Lux low light rating but that hasn't been a problem for me. The 16:9 is stunning on a widescreen T.V. with VideoMaker mag measuring +530 lines of horz. resolution. I got it because I was looking for a camera that I could learn and grow into. I am VERY pleased with it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I want it mainly for home videos, but im getting interested in recording some social events (birthday parties, weddings,) first with friends and close people, lets say "semi-professional". just to get a few extra bucks..
    Then Digital8 or MiniDv would do it fine/fair... i think.

What means that " 3-CCD "?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by omega_weapon
    Well, I want it mainly for home videos, but im getting interested in recording some social events (birthday parties, weddings,) first with friends and close people, lets say "semi-professional". just to get a few extra bucks..
    Then Digital8 or MiniDv would do it fine/fair... i think.

What means that " 3-CCD "?
    IMHO,
    If you want to start getting into shooting other peoples events, you may want to concider 2 cameras both with wireless mics
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    omega_weapon

There are great reviews of camcorders at http://www.camcorderinfo.com/
    3-CCD will be a good way to for what you are looking to do.

vcdlover
    Quote Quote