VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. how can i convert a divx.avi file with subtitles into a svcd i tried everything divx to svcd is no problem but adding the subtitles is confusing if someone can help me out thanks !
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What form are you subtitles in, and what have you tried exactly.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  3. im having the same problem.....i have an AVI file with subtitles that im trying to convert to SVCD, and i have no idea how to extract the subs. the subs are part of the avi file (not included as a separate file), and i know they aren't hardcoded because i can turn them on and off in media player. when the file is played in media player, the subs play fine, but when i use tmpgenc to save .m2v file, the subs don't carry over.

any help with this is most appreciated!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. also, i tried opening the file in virtualdubmod and demuxing the subtitles stream, but the audio track is the only track that shows up when i go to the stream list
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've never seen an avi with selectable subs.
    I've seen ogm files and mkv files with selectable subs, but never seen an avi file with selectable subs.
    there may be a sub file in the same directory that your system is automatically loading when playing the avi file.
    I would do a search on your hd for *.srt, or *.sub or *.idx and see if it comes up with any results.

how many streams does it show in virtualdub?
    pm me where you got the file.
    you've totally peaked my curiosity.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't it possible that the subs have been hard encoded into the avi?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by teegee420
    Isn't it possible that the subs have been hard encoded into the avi?
    must be it, ........

i hate it, when i get one of those, and the subs are in german .......
    g_i_l_s_t_e_r

--------------------------------------------------------
    Just the product of a society that's lost it's good manneres
    Quote Quote  
  8. The VobSub suite includes a utility called SubMux, which allows you to multiplex a subtitle stream into an AVI file. The file maintains its .AVI extension, but the subtitles are switchable via DirectVobSub. I just did a quick test with some files I had lying around, and found that subtitles muxed this way are not recognized as a separate stream by VirtualDubMod, and thus cannot be extracted that way.
    I was able to recover the subtitle file by opening the full AVI in a hex editor (I use Hex Workshop), searching for a couple words from the subs, selecting the SSA script, and saving the selection as an SSA file. This extracted file has the same CRC as the original SSA file I used.
    You should be able to get your subtitles this way. If anyone's come up with a better way to extract them, I for one would be interested in hearing it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are your divx encoded with vidomi ? The reason i ask is because vidomi places subtitles in a different stream but in the avi file (no separate file).

The problem with this approach is that (afail) only the vidomi player seems to able to shom the subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Morford
    The VobSub suite includes a utility called SubMux, which allows you to multiplex a subtitle stream into an AVI file. The file maintains its .AVI extension, but the subtitles are switchable via DirectVobSub. I just did a quick test with some files I had lying around, and found that subtitles muxed this way are not recognized as a separate stream by VirtualDubMod, and thus cannot be extracted that way.
    I was able to recover the subtitle file by opening the full AVI in a hex editor (I use Hex Workshop), searching for a couple words from the subs, selecting the SSA script, and saving the selection as an SSA file. This extracted file has the same CRC as the original SSA file I used.
    You should be able to get your subtitles this way. If anyone's come up with a better way to extract them, I for one would be interested in hearing it.
    Hmm, good info morford. I didn't know that was possible.
    Quote Quote