VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ok, i have started a small video buisness and have had a bit of success. anyway. my fist big purchase is going to be a better camcorder. i am curretnly shooting with a sony trv27, but i want to know what you guys would recomend. i can get a canon GL2 for about 2,500.00 is there anything out there that is "better" for the same amout of money or less? i will be filming a lot of dance recitals and "low light" type events

(any ideas on this vs. the sony DCR-TRV950?)

thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by hispanicboy
    ok, i have started a small video buisness and have had a bit of success. anyway. my fist big purchase is going to be a better camcorder. i am curretnly shooting with a sony trv27, but i want to know what you guys would recomend. i can get a canon GL2 for about 2,500.00 is there anything out there that is "better" for the same amout of money or less? i will be filming a lot of dance recitals and "low light" type events

(any ideas on this vs. the sony DCR-TRV950?)

thank you.

Hey - I use a GL2 for all my shoots and I am very happy with it - its my main squeeze. Additionally I use it on manual - so that I can monitor aperture and boost (assuming fixed shutterspeed). I start getting concerned when the boost is >0db and get very concerned when the boost >9db (~3 doublings of the signal). This can't be avoided when you are shooting to change depth of field. Ideally you need to avoid lowlight because this limits the number of variables you get to play with. This is true for **ALL** video cameras. Now, cameras with 3CCDs will be better (generally) than ones with single CCD due to effective increase in light collection area. Additionally those cameras with larger CCDs will do better than those with smaller CCDs. So the .25" CCDs in the GL2 get trumped by the .33" CCDs in the XL1S (Ithink). Cameras with .5" CCDs are better still but expect to pay a premium for them.

To summarize - the GL2 is a good camera but its low light response is not as good as those cameras costing more money but its better than cheaper cameras. Its as good as you expect for the money you pay. But other than its lowlight shooting - its the nicest camera in its pricerange.
    Quote Quote