VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i downloaded an avi file and i want to be able to play it on windows media player. i downloaded virtualdub and it played the partial file fine except i couldnt fast forward or anything. WMP wont play it. is there any way i can construct a playable avi (on WMP so i can fast forward..tried avipreview and it coulnt open the partial file) file from the partial download?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Maybe this will work:
    In virtual dub, select "direct stream copy" under the "video" and "audio" menus. Then under "file" select "save as AVI...".
    Quote Quote  
  3. well i did that and it let me open the avi in WMP, but i still cant fast forward. here's the virtualdub log:

Code:
    [i] Starting up: VirtualDub build 18160/release
    [*] AVI: Opening file "C:\Program Files\Sysreset\download\xdmnx-ggwesb5.avi"

[!] AVI: Index not found or damaged -- reconstructing via file scan.

[!] AVI: Invalid chunk detected at 191658962. Enabling aggressive recovery 
        mode.

[!] AVI: Keyframe flag reconstruction was not specified in open options and 
        the video stream is not a known keyframe-only type.  Seeking in the video 
        stream may be extremely slow.
    [*] Beginning dub operation.
    [*] Ending operation.
    [/code]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try this program: http://www.avipreview.com/ Saw it in KaZaA .
    Quote Quote  
  5. what about divfix? Save the partial file (while ficing the header) as a new file and then playing the new file?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, it's beyond me now. But I would try to do a fast recompression on the video and then change the compression and/or force a certain number of key frames. I am just guessing though. Hopefully someone else can step in for you with a better answer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In virtualdub when you click on file open and the file selection option appears look on the bottom left and check on the "Popup extended open option". You will then be able to reindex the avi. It will take a while but once it's done just save it again in direct stream mode which is quick and it will now be possible to seek in the new file.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would try this: In the Open Video File dialog box in Virtualdub check the "ask for extended options after this dialog" box located in the left-hand corner. In the new dialog select "Re-derive keyframe flags" and click okay. You should be able to resave the file after keyframe processing and have functional seeking.
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whoops. Looks like I took too long to post. Sorry about that.
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah, in my experience, virtualdub can fix some files, but not all. I have had the most luck with a program called videofixer. Unfortunately it's not free and it's hard to find.

Also, try playing the file back with VLC (VideoLAN Client). It has support for playing incomplete files.
    Quote Quote  
  11. i tried to "rederive keyframe flags" and i got an error about 1/4 through the process. i'll have to look for that videofixer program i guess.
    Quote Quote