VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. DVD Recordable today announced details of a hacked firmware to allow the pioneer to match the NEC/Lite On/Plextors and write at 8x on 4x Ritek media. Full story here:
    http://www.dvd-recordable.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1118
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anybody actually flashed this firmware on their DVR-107?

I wanted to find out before I actually did this myself.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I did today....it works!!! On princos and riteks 4x's @ 8x's!!!!
    I only know-I know nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great to hear!! I can't wait to burn my 4x Ritek's at 8x
    Quote Quote  
  5. i did earlier last week, i can burn my g04's at 8x in about 8 min, i love it. havent had a failed disc at 8x yet
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just flashed it and fired off a 4x Ritek at 8x speed!!

Lovin' it!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WOuldn't this reduce the burning reliability?

Disk thats are rated 4x and burned at 8x would probably be more prone to errors, right?

I just want to know. Sure is nice to burn at 8x, but how reliable will the burn be compared to burning at 2x?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Remember, it is not the Drive, but the DISK, That should determine the write speed. They will burn but you are asking for playback problems down the line. I did that with my A05 and burned 1X disks at 2X. Thought I had cut a fat hog until I had to go back and redo a bunch. Don't really use 1X disks any more but that option is closed for me now. Just use the Ritek 4X (15 min burn for a full disk)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From reading the article regarding the hacked firmware, it says that Pioneer locked the 8x burning feature to only discs "approved" by them or something of the sort.

It also says that the higher quality DVD-R discs (Ritek and Memorex) rated at 4x were able to be burned at 8x with the firmware upgrade. Cheaper quality DVD-R discs rated at 4x did not burn well at 8x.

Even with the firmware upgrade, you still have the option of burning at 4x if you choose to. The way I see it, I want the option of burning at 8x if I would like it; I don't want Pioneer deciding for me
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is it really worth paying all that money for a new writer just for 7 mins less of burning time....
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's a good point, it may not be worth it for you guys who already have writers.

For me, this was the first DVD writer I bought, so I figured I might as well buy an 8x writer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by -DVD-
    is it really worth paying all that money for a new writer just for 7 mins less of burning time....
    £90.00 in the UK and mine is a x1 so yes, it's worth it for me.
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by gkolleng
    That's a good point, it may not be worth it for you guys who already have writers.
    I think it depend how many back ups you do a day!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    U really dont miss the speed if u never had it, but once u burn at DVD in 8 min then its pretty hard to go back to a slower burns. It seems to take 4ever. I dont have a A07/107 but I have a NEC 2500a and a Plex 708a. The Plex burns at 8x and the NEC at 6x using the same +R media. The NEC seems to take a long time as compared to the Plex but its only like 2 more mins (10 vs 8 ). Now burning at 4x on Pioneer A05 seems to be like slow as molasses when it seem fast 6 months ago (15 min), but with the burners I have thats tha max speed for the -R media that I can get and burn at. Maybe I shld have bought the 107 instead of the NEC... Now if only NEC would come out with a more relaxed media requirement for -R 8x media
    Quote Quote