VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I did some reading at 100fps.com. Seems to say my analog camcorder will capture individual fields but not interlace them (progressive). This means there is no point capturing at XXX x 480 with my capture apps right? Does this mean there is 30 of these fields a second or does it make up 60?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Your camera captures interlaced. If you capture at XXX x 480, then that is captured in interlaced format. If you want to capture and have it be non-interlaced, then capture at a resolutionless than XXX x 480 or deinterlace when encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Help me understand what this is saying then:

Ripoff from 100fps....

Note: The timeline of your analog camcorder is usually different. Analog camcorders, VCRs etc do not mix the recorded pictures. They record picture after picture after picture. Analog camcorders use "odd" and "even" sets of scan lines, too, but they don't intermix them into 1 frame.

One could use the term 50 images per second (50 ips), to emphasize, that both analog and digital recorders are capturing 50 times per second.

The digitalizers nowadays (e.g. Hauppauge WinTV) capture 25fps=50 fields per second, so in the end on your harddisk it makes no difference to say 25 (interlaced) digital frames per second or 50 not interweaved analog fields per second. But there IS a difference.

So the timeline of the analog camcorder is/was:

1) Record field 1 (=frame 1) (odd scan lines)
    2) Record field 2 (=frame 2) (even scan lines)
    4) Record field 3 (=frame 3) (odd scan lines)
    5) Record field 4 (=frame 4) (even scan lines)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's trying to explain the nature of interlaced video. NTSC = 30 fps (60 fields per sec). PAL = 25 fps (50 fields per sec).

A standard TV scans an image in fields. For NTSC, that's 30 even fields and 30 odd fields. For PAL, that's 25 even fields and 25 odd fields. The article is trying to explain the order in wich the fields are recorded.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. You could use AVISynth to separate the fields and then resize the frame height. Wouldn't that give you 60fps?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by racer-x
    It's trying to explain the nature of interlaced video. NTSC = 30 fps (60 fields per sec). PAL = 25 fps (50 fields per sec).

A standard TV scans an image in fields. For NTSC, that's 30 even fields and 30 odd fields. For PAL, that's 25 even fields and 25 odd fields. The article is trying to explain the order in wich the fields are recorded.
    I understand that. BUT, what it is saying is that the fields are never interlaced. That would mean capturing at anything more than XXX x 240 is a waste. That's what I get out of it.....
    Quote Quote  
  7. I remember reading something recently at Doom9.org, that questioned some of the things on 100fps.com.

I can't remember exactly but somewhere in this section:
    http://www.doom9.org/dvd-basics.htm
    Quote Quote