VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This may be a camera hardware question or capture question, I'll let the experts decide. I've been able to take the digital film from the Sony drv 38 and using an S video cable send the images to my computer where my ATI all in wonder 9000 captures. Then using Womble to edit and TMPGE to author and burn had pretty good results making DVD's. The problem occurs when I try to convert my old Hi8 tapes made on a sony tr30 to digital using the passthru on the new sony. I enable the "dv out" on the menu of the drv38, hook up the firewire from the drv38 to the computer, and then connect the 2 sonys with the rca jacks. I get the analog signal coming thru the sony drv38 screen and the computer gives me the option to make a movie with the windows software or Roxio(both choices i do not prefer) But the ATI card does not reconize the signal. When I plug in the S video cable to the drv38 and computer and then try to convert using the above procedure I get no signal thru the drv38 screen.
    Soooo. Is this a software issue, hardware issue or am I just missing something?
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorryt Charlie,.. ATI MMC hardware or software have no support for Firewire. I've tried to chase that down and ATI said no. The design of their adapter card has some kind of dependance on getting the video input through their card,... since they have "hardware" assisted capture. They can however, accept RCA composit or S-Video. When you had S_video connected you could have gone to the MMC setup panel in video and selected "S-Video" as input. Works for me. Make sure you have MMC 8.1. Below this and above this I have no confidence in. See DV in "Lordsmurf" web site.

I use a Sony TRV-740 and a firewire connection to my motherboard and VideoStudio 6.02 software detects the firewire once the camera is in VCR mode and away I go.

ATI did come out with some adapter card with a firewire input but the reports I've seen on them are not very good. I have no other facts.

Hopes this helps
    "Technology",...It's what keeps us all moving forward.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have used my TRV38 with an older Sony Hi8. RCA jacks from the HI8 to the audio\video in on the TRV38, firewire out to firewire card on the computer and captured using Scenalyzer.

Worked for me.

Now I use a Canopus ADVC-100 for all analog. Never for DV.
    DV only via firewire directly to computer.
    Geronimo
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks Bstansbury and Redd. I suspected it was an ATI issue since the computer identified when the firewire was attached and the trv 38 hooked up. It would be nice if ATI had firewire capability but until then I'll try to capture with some other software, Perhaps Scenalyzer after I do some research. Did you like the results Redd? I've done some test runs with Roxio which came with the system and found it pretty clunky. Not too many options. and "uncle bill gates" software that came with the operating system won't allow me to save it in the format I'd like.
    Once again thanks. This is one great web site and support group.
    Quote Quote