VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)

Poll: Should there be Forum changes made for Digital Video

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've made a "POLL" out of this post to find out what most of the people would thing about changing, or expanding the topics of discussion in this forum. What I am suggesting is that this forum also be used for specific topics to do with Camcorders, such as DV transfer via firewire, Capture software, Editing Dv, producing Video SVCD's, DVD's of home movies or anykind of movies. The goal of getting the best process to get the best results. It may also just be the quickest way, or the simplest way, or the most economical way,... or it just may be the way "You" specifically have to get it done,... and you need help.

My problem with the rest of the forums is that they are too broad. For example, in the Capture forum there are about 15,000 topics and 77,000 post currently on-line. Very few of these post have to do with the problems we see in using camcorders. This is why I went out and bought my Digital camcorder. I spent a year trying to learn how to use my system to capture old analog data via an ATI All in Wonder video capture card. I spent months trying to tune my system and get all the software and hardware working together, just to make a decent capture. I went through just about every piece of software out there and 7 different version of VirtualDub, TMPGen, and all the drivers and filters. I was finally done in by the bad levels of software from ATI, and Nero. I had spent so much time, with the help of this web site, updating, downloading, trying this, and that,... I never got it to work satisfactory.

I gave up and walked away for 9 months. Then I decided to by a digital camcorder. Now I'm back in the middle of things, and learning more and more each day,... But the things you have to learn for DV are done somewhat different than in the analog world, not totally, but just different.

For example,... There is not thing like "Captureing",... is't just Digital Tape to Hard Disk transfer,.. Never any frame drops or hic-up if you have some large and fast hard disk. Editing is a differnent story. In editing VHS copies of movies, all you want edit out is the commercials and that is easily done in VirtualDub. If you have a DV, you probably want to edit scene by scene of home movies and make the whole thing look something like a good video production. You need good software to do this. So far I'm finding that VideoStudio has a lot of the tools I need to do things like fading in and out between scene changes and other clips, and adding background images for chapters, and animated text , and music in the background or foregound, or even a voiceover. Then there is the problem of how to test the finished work. How to decide which format, VCD, SVCD,DVD, you want to use,.. and what tools to do , what frame size to use, which field goes first, what filters to use, which MPEG encoder to buy,....etc.

These are things I have to learn to do,... and I'm doing them the only way I can which is searching for answers throught 100,000 posts. I bet I have to go through 100 post before I find what I'm looking for. Others have suggested I just post my question in a specific forum and wait for an answer. This is specifically why there are 77,000 posts in the Capture forum. Doesn't someone thing it is a waste of space to have 1540 pages of post stored somewhere on one subject.

Enough of my ranting... here is the Poll questions;

1. Should the Camcorder Forum be expanded to cover DV Video Creation

2. Should a new Forum be created to cover DV Video Creation

3. Leave everything as it is now.
    "Technology",...It's what keeps us all moving forward.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with you 100%.

As a side note, If you're using Ulead products, They allways have the field order oposite everyone else. Don't ask why, I'd like to know that myself.
    Ulead Says Field Order A for DV-AVI. If you encode it with another encoder, Choose Lower Field first.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Been busy for a couple of days. Boy are you right about Ulead,... and they are not about to change,... probably cause they are still not convinced that the industry is ever going to agree.

They do totally agree that AVI has to be bottom field first. They just never say that. Instead,... they use the term Field A. The real leaders in the industry, lilke AVID, Sony, etc. all use only "Bottom Field First". Avid had it wrong for a long time and finally admitted it on there web site and changed there terminology to "Bottom Field first".

I guress there have been agruements for years about this, some have called it Field 0,1... other Field A, B, and other bottom and top, and other Dominate and sub. In the last week I have read 10 web site paper on this and received all kinds of notes, especially from key technical people at Ulead. The answer is, leave it bottom field first and it will work.
    "Technology",...It's what keeps us all moving forward.
    Quote Quote