VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Would A Forum For DV Be Useful To You?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by rhegedus
    Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Originally Posted by rhegedus
    Can those that voted 'yes' think of a single topic for a DV forum that cannot be accommodated by other forums here?
    You could say the same thing about conversion which is split into newbie and advanced. Or DVD recording which was until recently 1 forum, is now split into DVD recorders and DVD writers.
    That's a no, then?

The example you give are logical sub-divisions. DV is just another video format.
    You don't think digital video is a logical subdivision from analogue video. And I would think that Newbie conversion - Advanced conversion would be pretty analogous to newbie editing - advanced editing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay you have decided you want a Mini DV video camera ... which one are you going to get ... can you decide in a blink of an eye ... I don't think so ...

There are alot of DV video cameras to decide from. Most of us here know each other ... when I read a post ... one of the first things I do is see how many posts this person has made previously ... usually his question(s) are related to how many posts he has made.

I don't make posts to be a smartass or to be sarcastic ... I offer my experience as to what works for me.

As for most of you that know me ... I push InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2 for creating DVD Compliant Mpg-2 videos with AC-3 audio.

But in about 12 hours ... I'm going to have a brand new Panasonic PV-DV53 Camcorder ... the price is low and it has good reviews but I would have liked to hear from all of you ... who have Mini DV video cameras.

It was tough trying to decide on which one to get. I still want a more fancy one ... but haven't decided yet. Maybe if DVDRHelp creates a forum ... we can pull together and help each other decide.

My answer is yes ... create a Mini DV camera forum section.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lacywest
    It was tough trying to decide on which one to get. I still want a more fancy one ... but haven't decided yet. Maybe if DVDRHelp creates a forum ... we can pull together and help each other decide.

But there is already a camcorder forum that covers this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't think digital video is a logical subdivision from analogue video. And I would think that Newbie conversion - Advanced conversion would be pretty analogous to newbie editing - advanced editing.
    But these are already covered in the forums.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lacywest
    Okay you have decided you want a Mini DV video camera ... which one are you going to get ... can you decide in a blink of an eye ... I don't think so ...

There are alot of DV video cameras to decide from. Most of us here know each other ... when I read a post ... one of the first things I do is see how many posts this person has made previously ... usually his question(s) are related to how many posts he has made.

I don't make posts to be a smartass or to be sarcastic ... I offer my experience as to what works for me.

As for most of you that know me ... I push InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2 for creating DVD Compliant Mpg-2 videos with AC-3 audio.

But in about 12 hours ... I'm going to have a brand new Panasonic PV-DV53 Camcorder ... the price is low and it has good reviews but I would have liked to hear from all of you ... who have Mini DV video cameras.

I think you'd benefit from reading the thread intent again

Originally Posted by lacywest
    Most of us here know each other ... when I read a post ... one of the first things I do is see how many posts this person has made previously ... usually his question(s) are related to how many posts he has made
    You'd be doing me a great service if you could explain this for me, I must be stupid, I don't understand it.
    The first thing you do is ascertain the number of posts made?
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by rhegedus
    But these are already covered in the forums.
    And DVD writing was already covered in the forums, but Baldrick decided that it would be advantageous to split that forum into 2 seperate forums one for DVD writers and one for DVD recorders.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Becuase one is exclucively for a PC and needs software, the other is standalone. Two separate entities.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Guys ...

Quick reply ... I will answer the quotes aimed at me later ... I've got class in 3.5 hours ... and I need to run down to Sears and pick up my Panasonic PV-DV53 Camcorder.

And I have a interview tomorrow at 10 AM ... in Fresno for an internship.

Fresno is where my classes are and my Interview ... 50 minute drive from my home.

My work week is kicking in.

Well ... can this new forum we are talking about ... can it be tried out on a trial basis ???

Cheers ... guys
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lacywest,

I have the panasonic DV-953. It's a great camera. You may want to read this post I made:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204186&highlight=

I used the Panasonic DV-953 to shoot the footage.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  10. How can there be 715 votes and only 580 views (and we know those views don't equal number of people since many of you guys responded a few times to this thread)

Something very fishy about his poll :P
    Quote Quote  
  11. Sweeeeeeet!!! When will we get the Forum on "Home Theater" Televisions, Audio systems, ....

Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Rookie64
    How can there be 715 votes and only 580 views (and we know those views don't equal number of people since many of you guys responded a few times to this thread)

Something very fishy about his poll :P
    You can vote from the main page without having to enter the forum.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Fishy or not, more and more PPL are shooting DV and converting to DVD. It is closely related to main topic here and since good DV info is scarce on the net sharing tips and tricks here would not harm anyone. I think there are no indications against it. Many of this forum members are DV freaks as well so why not expand? DV to DVD is coming up here and there quite often. It's about the same thing but from a filmmaker angle (quality, software choices, authoring, burning) so staying in the same forum for DV related issues makes perfect sense.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hate it when forum sites become too sub-divided with too many different forum sub-divisions to monitor. DVDRHelp hasn't reached this point yet, and everything is fairly well categorised at the moment. Plus you've got the very handy cross-subject "Latest posts/active topics" facility. So normally, I'd be disinclined to having a seperate DV forum, since everything is fairly well covered by the existing structure. However...

I have voted 'Yes' to this for just one reason: You cannot enter "DV" as criteria in the search facility because it falls under the minimum length for search words. This makes finding DV related stuff a complete pain in the ass.

I would support keeping things as they are now if there were a way to locate DV related posts in the existing forum structure.

Ian.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ok, as it has been suggested. Take this existing forum out of Hardware

and change it to something like:

DV Movie Making and Equipment
    Everything about DV/MiniDV, Digital8 and DVD camcorders. Covers DV hardware and production methods (lighting, lenses, shooting tips, DV capturing and advanced editing .etc)

opinions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like it. After all, it was my idea.

The only problem that I can see, is that maybe all the advanced video editors here will migrate to the DV forum. Then everyone else may feel left out. But hey, it's the 21st century people........get with the program. Analog is dead. It's time to get out of the dark ages.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x
    Analog is dead. It's time to get out of the dark ages.
    I still got an old analog camera and it is now only in use with the PC for a photo shot of me as a .jpg.

This camera is no longer use for analog capturing due to broken tape mechanism.

However, it is possible to capture a video digitally into the PC as mpeg or DivX.

I don't think DV is advanced enough yet. I don't want interlacing and videotapes. Is HD progressive DV camera available yet? If so, is it expensive?
    I am a computer and movie addict
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x
    Analog is dead. It's time to get out of the dark ages.
    You are absolutely wrong. Think about all the BETA and S-VHS that is still used by the pros. And let's not forget film. And many, many people still use tried and true VHS, VHS-C, 8mm and Hi8. Digital is easily decades away from completely taking over analog.

And DV is still an inferior format because of it's compression limitations.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Analogue is dead for me, but that decision has nothing to do with quality.
    Whilst my MiniDV camcorder is smaller, lighter, has a screen, is piss-easy to use, piss-easy to transfer to my PC and has much sharper footage in no way does it produce such a 'natural' shoot as my Panasonic VHS-C camcorder, and no where near as good in low light conditions.
    I'll never go back but do miss it a little
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Everything goes digital (music, photo, video, digital cable etc.) so in fact analog is dead (or rather already sentenced to die soon) once they improve miniDV affordability. Of course you will still have analog here and there but digital is a mainstream now whether we like it or not. That's a fact.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With so many people still doing VHS to DVD conversions, analogue will be here for a long time still.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    dv:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&domains=www.dvdrhelp.com&as_qdr=all&q...w.dvdrhelp.com

I will see if I can add dv to the main forum search engine also.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I think it's a good idea! I have a Panasonic PV-DV953D and I wish there were more discussion before I bought it. Though it's good for well lit situations it's horrible for indoor shots without proper lighting. I know proper lighting is needed for most good DV work but I didn't think it would be as bad as it is. And being that DV is the way things are going ( I work at MSNBC and there switching from beta to DV hard drive backup next year ) I think it will make it alot easier for people looking for good free advice as this site has done for DVDR.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    dv:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&domains=www.dvdrhelp.com&as_qdr=all&q...w.dvdrhelp.com

I will see if I can add dv to the main forum search engine also.
    why not just expand on the camcorder forum until it looks like DV needs its own forum?
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought my post would stir things up a bit.

@ lordsmurf,
    I never said that DV is a superior codec, we all know that's not true. But DV is the best bang for the buck. So far, it looks like it will be dominant.

@ Vintageman,
    I have a Panasonic DV-PV953. I think it isn't all that bad in low light. It's a lot better than the Sharp Camcorder I used to use. You might want to read my post here, I think you'll find it interesting.
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204186
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I see the DV forum is up...

...damn
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  27. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    it is the camcorder forum.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Thanks Baldrick!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to thank Baldrick for the work he has put into this change. When I first suggested the idea for a DV forum I didn't expect to get so much critical feedback. I've been away from the forum for a couple of weeks, letting my "Head" recover from the pounding I took on the orginal post. It seems those who felt it was a dumb idea were really very "Vocal" about it and voiced thier opinions. The reply's were overwhelming against any kind of change.

But it seems the silent majority has cast the final vote,... and at last look it was 65%+7% for the DV forum and 15% against. Better than I ever hoped for. As a result of this poll, (I really have to than Will Hay, since even though he was not for the idea, he started the Poll), Baldrick has made the change.

By the way Baldrick, I had started another similar Poll in a different Forum before I say what Will Hay had done, but it seems to have dissapeared??? Did it get merged or was it deleted???

Anyway, this should close this topic for good. Thanks to everyone for participating.

Bud
    "Technology",...It's what keeps us all moving forward.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't start the poll, I can't take credit for that (but thanks for the intent), I think I just provided you the link
    I wasn't against it completely, it wasn't suggested at that time it covered shooting and lighting techniques, but I'm glad it's up.
    Coverting the camcorder forum to encompass the suggestion was a great idea.
    Will
    Quote Quote