VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. im new to the DV cam scene. can someone tell me what a good make/model is for a DV camera?
    i dont need top of the line. i need something that has good performance for a reasonable price, a bargain i guess.
    thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sony TRV-33 and Love it. The TRV-19 and 22 are also very good...and less expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I love my TRV350 and it was really really cheap because it is D8 rather than miniDV.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Seems that Sony DVcams are considered overall the best (in the consumer category at least). Keep in mind that an inexpensive miniDV Samsung may do a very good job as well. Read some reviews at dvspot.com as well as other sites like camcorderinfo.com. Generally you get what you pay for, more money = better quality and features. Panasonic, Sharp, Canon are also nice cams (but generally with worse then Sony low light performance). When you decide what to buy read users feedback at epinions.com (may be an excellent point to start your search as well). Digital8 (Sony's proprietary format) is inexpensive and gives excellent quality. MiniDV is more expensive, smaller, lighter but also performs worse in low light (smaller CCD and optics) then Digital8 cams. Determine how much you want to spend and do your research. I own Sony DCR-PC1 and have no complaints altgough a 3CCD cam would certainly be better...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sony cams considered the best?? Maybe by people who dont know better. Canon ones are. Although the Sony camera line has the most models, lots of them can be disregarded as hopeless in terms of optics and performance.

I have a GL2 and have used and owned a number of Epson and Sony Minidv and 8mm cameras and while the Sonys have had lots of features, I found them to be underwhelming in the optics and image sensor dept. Now, where Sony does do well is in the > $1000 range when they start paying attention to the basics. The TRV950 is a good camera and so is the VXxxxx range. Their broadcast and ENG cameras are considered excellent too.

Personally I recommend the GL2 and the XL1S and the vx2000 and TRV950. While they do cost more - you really do get excellent results. I have no experience with the JVC and the other brands but I expect the same to hold true.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i agree canon makes the best cameras. i have used a gl2, and it is one sweet camera. im still saving up for an xl1s though. anyone have 3 grand they want to let me borrow?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I, too, own a GL2. It is an excellent camcorder, lots of manual options.

Go GL2...

vcdlover
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Should I get a Sony TRV33 or DVD200 ?

I can afford the higher DVD200 price, but is it worthy ?
    Is it a "strong" camera ?

If it shakes a bit - say you're on a bus or train - does it still work properly ?

Thanks,

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mine is the TRV14, same as the US TRV19 without passthrough.
    Superb, except for the wind noise
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by triphop
    Sony cams considered the best?? Maybe by people who dont know better. Canon ones are. .....
    Personally I recommend the GL2 and the XL1S and the vx2000 and TRV950. While they do cost more - you really do get excellent results. I have no experience with the JVC and the other brands but I expect the same to hold true.
    It is no mystery that in the consumer line of camcorders Sony has usually the biggest and best selection. GL2 is hardly a consumer camera (read my post). If you compare prices, features and performance Sony comes either on top or 2nd place in every price category (consumer, again, I would say <1300 USD). With the exception of Canon Optura 50 and Panasonic PV-GS70 (3CCD) the rest of the market belongs to Sony. But even these models are not very popular (as compared to Sony), even though they offer good quality. Main reason of disappointment with other brands is the "low light performance". If you check some consumer feedback forums/sites you will find a lot of proof of that.
    I'm not discounting other makers but Sony's cams popularity and overall good quality seems to be a common knowledge.
    Ironically, 2 out of 4 cams you recommend are Sony products.

@Zetti TRV33 seems to be a better option. DVD200 CCD element is a bit smaller (affects low light perf.). DVD200 may be more convenient to use but I personally doubt if its DVD writer will last you longer then 3 years (still unproven technology).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    proxyx99

I kind of agree with you that most recommandations are for SONY and I see the quality myself. I chose GL2 over VX2001 because GL2 has 20X zoom vs. 12X and several hundred dallars cheaper. Other that that, I would jump right on VX2001. But GL2 meets my expectation so far.

vcdlover
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I also gotten the Sony TRV-350 camera mainly for A & D conversion of my Hi-8 and 8mm tapes to DV, as well to have a starting camcorder, but I do want to save up for a more professional camera....Ive heard alot of good reviews about the Canon GL2 model. Thing that bothers me is that it takes forever to save up for something like that and by the time you are finally ready to buy it then all of a sudden its no longer avaliable Like its our fault that we cant find a job that pays enough to afford these things lol.

VTM
    I have the staff of power, now it's up to me to use it to its full potential to command my life and be successful.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I hear you - I maxed out my CC and had to work lots of hours to pay it off - lifes a b*itch

Anyway at the GL2 pricepoint, you will find that cameras don't change often and tech does not get obsoleted every other month. Additionally, the optics and ergonomics are not something that moves that fast. The rest is just sugar
    Quote Quote