VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    My 10 year old Samsung VCR finally died today. Can someone recommend a new one? Do I need one with TBC? I am not sure what it really is other than it cleans up the tapes or something.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'll have to say go with a JVC SVHS with TBC (time base corrector) and DNR (digital noise reduction) if you want the most bang for your buck. The TBC helps with problematic tapes that cause dropped frames on captures, and the DNR does wonders for improving the overall picture quality. And if you have a dolby surround system, and want the overall best (IMHO) vcr for a reasonable price get a JVC DH30000U it's a DVHS vcr, with TBC and DNR. I got mine for $400 with a 5 year no fault warranty on everything, the only problem is, these things are notorious for having the heads wear out after only about 40-50 hours of use (but it's very hit or miss, if they don't wear out by then they should be good for years and years) , so make sure you get a warranty that covers that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That looks like an awsome VCR, and I would like to have it. But since I haven't upgrade to HDTV yet, I really don't need a DVHS. I was looking at more of a price range of about $100.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Bestbuy or Circuit City has this one for under $100.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=ShowProduct&kw=SOSLVN700&Q=&O=&sku=274105

And for a few dollars more you could get a s-vhs recorder with s-video out at 'The Good Guys" assuming they have a store where you are.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=ShowProduct&kw=JVHRS5911&Q=&O=&sku=248860

Or at the same store for $179 do what I did today and get the Mitsubishi HS-U748 s-vhs.
    Quote Quote