VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was just about to report the same thing. I even decided to test an old old old DVD just to be sure it worked on discs that were pressed before I became interested in correcting css encryption.

The disc I tried was Camelot, the version released in the US in 1998. MTR ripped the disc fine, no erros about finding the disc at all like I experienced before with XMen. The app ripped fast and furious, and didn't send my TiBook fan off the deep end.

Although the title set containing the movie was ripped, it did not re-author the content making it ready to burn in Toast.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Edit

The dmg version works
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the 10.2X version it seems to be working fine I'm in the process of rippin one now. I was real worried that it was a panther only app I'm waiting a while for panther. Love the icon as well

Thanks again

Mandog
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, there seems to be an issue with Main Title ripping using MacTheRipper. Geezerbuttz is aware of this, and there might be something coming to fix it. For now, you can use DVD2OneX to make a playable VIDEO_TS folder from the MTR output with 'Film' mode (or just use Hades for now). Just for clarification, this same process did make usable VIDEO_TS folders using Hades, right?
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The 10.2 version worked well here. It took about 50 min to do a whole disc 7.9gig The beauty was it didn't boat anchor the machine. I was able to several other things with no noticeable lack of performance.

Thanks Again

Mandog
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, this app uses very little CPU time. Mine never goes above 2% CPU time on my 2x2GHz G5 (out of 200% for a dual proc machine), allowing me to play Halo while ripping (woot). The bottleneck will be your DVD drive's read speed.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    Yes, this app uses very little CPU time. Mine never goes above 2% CPU time on my 2x2GHz G5 (out of 200% for a dual proc machine), allowing me to play Halo while ripping (woot). The bottleneck will be your DVD drive's read speed.
    Where do you play halo? I'd be definitely interested in getting some MacDVDRHelp Haloing going on.
    If it isn't broken, take it apart and find out why.
    blog: deadsierra
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadsierra
    Where do you play halo? I'd be definitely interested in getting some MacDVDRHelp Haloing going on.
    agreed
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by galactica
    Originally Posted by deadsierra
    agreed
    I vote on having the Weasel host, damn people with G5s.
    If it isn't broken, take it apart and find out why.
    blog: deadsierra
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hehe, I actually have a measly 256kbit upstream Cable connection. Oh, and the G5 replaces a 3.5 year-old G4/466MHz, so I was waaaay past due for an upgrade. Plus, the G4 got me $1k, thanks in part to a DVD-RW drive I added to it; and the student discount through my sister in Oregon (no sales tax) also brought the price down a lot. I usually play on the servers I get low pings at, and always team slayer. I live in the S.F. Bay area, and so the servers I get acceptable pings on will likely be different unless you guys live near me, or at least on the left side of the country . . . I don't even want to attempt any games with people on the east coast, unless you're very tolerant of lag. I like my pings in the sub-100 millisecond area if possible, and at least below 150. Above 200, I'm out. Accross the country, it would probably be in the 250-300 ms range if we're lucky, not playable at all. But for all you west coast readers, you're ^#@*$!% on!
    me => you=>
    j/k
    Let's keep this to private messages or a new thread though, as it's way off-topic, and you should all be ashamed!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My honest 02¢ review and tests:

Start test:

OS X 10.2.8
    Dual 1 G4
    1.25GB Ram
    Pioneer A04 Superdrive

Test Disc: HELLSING_2, same as used in HADES test.

downloaded the 102.dmg of MacTheKnife.
    Copied MacTheKnife to ~/Applications/Utilities folder.
    Placed Icon on the Dock.

Launched MactheKnife at 8:46 pm.
    from dock, it bounced once then quit.

Relaunched from ~/Applications/Utilities folder,
    Found disc right off ( disc inserted before launching app).

set for exact copy.

set volume to save to:
    /Volumes/DVD Basket X
    (notice spaces in Volume name!)

8:48pm hit Go!
    Scanned, copied all 9 VOBs to disc
    took 15 minutes, finished 9:02 pm.

The fans did kick in and the Superdrive was moving at top speed
    while ripping, just to note. Could easily work in Quicktime editing
    AVI files while MTK was working!

In checking the created VIDEO_TS to the source VIDEO_TS on
    the DVD, I noticed some files ( again like Hades) in the 24KB
    and the 118KB ranges ( IFO and VOBs) had decreased in size to
    20KB and 116KB respectively.( most likely due to HFS+
    structure of disc)

Played the ripped VIDEO_TS in VLC 7, folder played fine,
    structure intact no problems.

Great Interface, lovely GUI.
    THE INFO window popping open and showing PROGRESS!!
    YES! newbies and not so newbies should be able to easily
    move over to this from DVDBackup
    because it is very intuitive and user friendly,
    (in the sense that if you are used to an app in the foreground
    showing progress, and not so an app that works in the background
    but does not show progress)
    and won't have them scratching their heads.

The Speed is awesome, And I commend the makers for it!

The same disc in HADES took 106 minutes total, and
    when doing several rips, MactheKnife will be the #1 choice in the
    Utility drawer for getting several done quickly.

My only question would be why the Dock icon bounced once and quit,
    but after launching the app, quitting it, and then copying the icon
    again to the dock, everything works as it should now.
    Perhaps some minor install glitch on my part.
    I do need to run Cocktail, I am 2 days off my weekly schedule.

Job Well Done!!
    Thanks for the killer app!
    Quote Quote  
  12. I tested two pal dvd´s without any problem..
    thanks for your application..

Regards

inspector77
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First off....Awesome!

My not so scientific testing went as follows:

7.75 GB DVD
    Running a G4 400 Powerbook w/384Mb memory
    Extracted to a 30Gb external Firewire drive

Total rip time: 36 minutes.

Other apps running at the same time:
    Lotus Notes Client (Bloatimus Maximus)
    Entourage
    MS-Word
    Safari
    iTunes

Amazing! I can't wait to try it on my faster home system. Thanks guys...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's a new version out for MacOS X 10.2.x and a separate one for Panther. There are a few additional bug fixes, hopefully solving some of the quit-on-launch problems. Grab your copies here:
    http://homepage.mac.com/wiseweasel/mactheripper102.dmg (MacOS X 10.2.x version)
    http://homepage.mac.com/wiseweasel/mactheripper103.dmg (MacOS X 10.3.x version)
    Enjoy!

P.S. The problem we're having with Main Feature extraction is actually normal behavior for dvdbackup, and it does not remaster the IFO files ever. Hades actually ripped the full disk in 'Main Feature' mode, and so that's why it was making usable output. Please let us know if you've experienced otherwise.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    There's a new version out for MacOS X 10.2.x and a separate one for Panther. There are a few additional bug fixes,
    .../...

P.S. The problem we're having with Main Feature extraction is actually normal behavior for dvdbackup, and it does not remaster the IFO files ever. Hades actually ripped the full disk in 'Main Feature' mode, and so that's why it was making usable output. Please let us know if you've experienced otherwise.
    Sure, MacTheRipper does not, for now, remaster the IFO files, so the VIDEO_TS folder is not playable using the apple DVD Reader.

But, if you run DVD2One on this VIDEO_TS folder asking "movie only" the new VIDEO_TS done by DVD2One is perfectly remasterised and playable both using the Apple DVDPlayer or a home DVDPlayer after burning the movie on a DVD.

Hope this could help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right, that workaround is still perfectly valid, but there will not be support for remastering the IFO files with MTR. Hades didn't really do it either. It's just a limitation of the underlying software, and would take some additionnal work to get a playable VIDEO_TS folder. Hopes of a one-step movie-only rip from DVD will have to go unfulfilled for now.
    Quote Quote  
  17. If you don't already know it, take a look at this OSX extractor nammed "YadeX". It's a french application, but it's easy to use.

http://www.macetvideo.com/yadex/yadex.html

Here is the tie to directly download "Yade" :

http://www.macetvideo.com/yadex/dl_yade.html

Do a try.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alkaline
    http://www.macetvideo.com/yadex/yadex.html

Can someone translate the website? I'd like to read about it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried YadeX a couple months ago, and it didn't work with CSS encrypted DVDs. I liked Yade (when it worked) back in the Classic days, but their OSX version never really seemed to get off the ground. This really isn't the appropriate thread to be discussing this, so please go start a new one.
    P.S. I speak French but I'll be damned if I'm translating all that. Maybe babblefish can give you what you need. . .
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    This really isn't the appropriate thread to be discussing this, so please go start a new one.
    Ok, I'll start a new topic for YadeX.

Excuse me for this mistake.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Okay, results are as follows vs, DVDBackup

G4 350 Yikes (antique, I know, but it's paid for itself many times over)
    Buffy season 4, Disc 1 R1 NTSC
    MTK was 12% faster than DVDBackup
    Godzilla vs. Megaguirus R3 NTSC
    MTK was 17% faster than DVDBackup

G4 1ghz iMac
    Buffy season 4, Disc 1 R1 NTSC
    MTK was 3% faster than DVDBackup??? Weird
    Godzilla vs. Megaguirus R3 NTSC
    MTK was 38% faster than DVDBackup????? WTF????
    Any ideas why a TV ep disc was sooooo much slower than a movie w/ a fair amount of subs, and audio tracks (4 of 'em)?
    oddly enough, Hades was still the fastest on the G4 350 for ripping TV discs, but kinda pokey on movies.
    I'm sure there are many technical reasons for the differences, I couldn't begin to guess what they are, but hopefully this will help, so far, I really like it!!!!
    And I did read correctly? It makes them R0 automatically?
    Sweeeeet.
    We have a winnah!!!!!

Oh yeah, and the most wonderful feature of all?
    I can click my yellow button and drop this thing into my dock and off my screen, unlike %^&*($#@ DVDBackup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YOW!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dunnyman
    And I did read correctly? It makes them R0 automatically?
    Yep, it automatically removes CSS and Macrovision, and sets the region code to 0.
    So, is anyone still having crashes or unexpected quits with the latest version of MTR released yesterday? Please let us know if so. If you were having problems with the older release, try out the new one and let us know how it's working for you.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried that latest last night. On my first try I got the enexpected quit thing. Second try same thing. Third try it fired up and has been ok ever since. I did one movie another 7.9gig took about an hour. I equate the speed as a problem reading from my superdrive. It is a pioneer 104 and is not the fastest reader. Anyhoo it seems to be working fine here. 10.2version

Thanks

Mandog
    Quote Quote  
  24. Ok, the rips are flawless, but see if this one makes any sense:
    The same DVD, ripped under both MTK and DVDBackup, yes, the ripping times are different, but here's the kicker, when run through DTOX, the MTK ripped version took 4 hours, 31 minutes?????
    The DVDBackup version finished in roughly an hour, like normal.
    Anyone else see this or have this issue? However, I used the second version, I will experiment with the latest and see what happens, also DVDBackup was NOT set to change Region codes, could that be an issue?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mandog
    I tried that latest last night. On my first try I got the enexpected quit thing. Second try same thing.
    Please private message or email me the relevant parts of your console log, or the MacTheRipper.crash.log, so we can get this fixed. Ask me if you need help finding the info, though I believe I posted about using the Console app earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Email en route

Thanks

Mandog
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Version 0.4 is now ready for MacOS X 10.2.x and for Panther. There are a few additional bug fixes, hopefully solving some of the quit-on-launch problems. Grab your copies here:
    http://homepage.mac.com/wiseweasel/mactheripper102.dmg (MacOS X 10.2.x version)
    http://homepage.mac.com/wiseweasel/mactheripper103.dmg (MacOS X 10.3.x version)
    Enjoy!

Please let us know if any of you are still getting unexpected quits with this new version. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    Version 0.4 is now ready for MacOS X 10.2.x and for Panther. There are a few additional bug fixes, hopefully solving some of the quit-on-launch problems.
    .../...
    Does the new MacTheRipper 0.4 remaster the IFO files now ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, it will never remaster IFO files. It's just something the underlying 'dvdbackup' software doesn't do. You will have to keep using DVD2OneX for main feature-only extractions.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    No, it will never remaster IFO files. It's just something the underlying 'dvdbackup' software doesn't do. You will have to keep using DVD2OneX for main feature-only extractions.
    OK no problem. Thanks.
    Quote Quote