VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kingnog
    2: A lot of officemax stores are going out of business...they're not being restocked. Its evil how they advertize KNOWING that they dont have any (or have only 1)
    Some are closing shop. The Office Max brand was sold. Some stores in a few markets are closing up, while others will be untouched. The Office Max name is being retained though. It was news back in November.

Just ask an employee, the know, cause they get a discount now. Got a buddy that works at one, and she holds stuff for me every now and then.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well I just bought a pack of the 100 DVD+R's from OM.. they are RICOHJPN01 and burn at 2.4,4, and 8x. Says 4x on the disc but I'm burning at 8x now...

I was surprised also, cause every time I see they have sales I want to buy that telephone thats "free" after the rebates but they never have it!

They had about 50 spindles of the discs though which was surprising.
    =)
    Quote Quote  
  3. For anyone that has gotten the Imation 25-pack LABELED 4X (not the ones that come in a box that are 2X) as a substitute, have you been able to burn them at 8X? Grrgh, I got these as subs and the guy wouldn't give it to me for 40 bux out the door. I had to pay 60 for them and send in the rebate. I got unlucky this time. Some salespeople will give it to you for the after-rebate price out the door.
    Quote Quote  
  4. i picked up some of the arita 4x dvd+r/100pk today and they burned fine at 4x on my hpdvd300e all the way to the edge.

here is the info from dvd info:

Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNR01
    Format Type UDF 1.02
    Volume Name NEW
    Application id
    Implementation id AHEAD Nero
    Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 2/ 7/2004 10:19:06
    Format Capacity 4.36GB(4.68GB)
    Book Type DVD-ROM
    Media Type DVD+R
    Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Data area end sector 22E21Fh
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

for 40 cents apiece after rebates this is a great deal.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was surprised also, cause every time I see they have sales I want to buy that telephone thats "free" after the rebates but they never have it!
    LOL! Same thing happens to me! I want that phone!
    -Yar, matey!-
    Quote Quote  
  6. just got 200 of the imations for $120 out the door, plus 8 $10 rebates, and 2 $20 rebates... now to hit up all my relatives to see if I can have the checks sent to them, if this works out I get 200 4x imation +R's for free
    Quote Quote  
  7. So far no good on those imations, 2 different drives, 2 different programs, 2 different coasters. Time to try them at 2.4x otherwise they go back to the store, I can't even get a burn done so I can check the media code on them.. but I got my money on CMC.

Edit: Got 1 to burn at 2.4x AND HOLY CRAP THEY ARE RICOH's I've never had trouble burning them at 4x before.. never never never... I guess ricoh is no longer a guaranteed sign of good quality. What is the world coming to?!?!?

Edit2: dvdinfopro shows errors from 4.0 gb to the end.. Could these be fake ricoh's?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I could not wait to get Arita 100 DVD+R, so I get the sub 4 of 25 pack Imation . I paid $60 for 4 and will get $20 rebate later. I just check and they all from RICOH Japan

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNR01
    Format Capacity Not Formatted
    Free Blocks 405405696
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
    Book Type DVD+R
    Media Type DVD+R
    Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

I am happy with it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. i have formed a hypotheis concerning why these arita disks are so inexpensive.

IMO, i think that these disks are 'irregulars'. they are in a way similar to clothes that are sold as irregular at factory outlets.

my reason for this is that in both of the 100 pack spindles that i bought all of the disks had rough edges and they were not all cut the same. granted they were all in a circular cut form but they were very rough on the edges. i don't think that this effects the dye so the disks are still good.

i would surmise that the ricoh factory where these were made have specs that they use for good cuts of disks that go to brand name manufacturers like memorex. and the irregulars are sold at a heavy discount to private label brands like arita.

i am not complaining though. i got 200 4x dvd+r's for forty cent apiece.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I too have the 4 - 25 packs of imations and havnt had a coaster yet. All RICOHJPNR01 at 4x.. Actually its taking a lil more for an avg 4x to burn. Roughly about 18 min using dvd author burning. My TDK discs burn in about 13 - 14 with the same amount of data or a tad bit more actually. Anyway Im happy with them and for 40 cents per its prettttttttty good.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by gammite
    i have formed a hypotheis concerning why these arita disks are so inexpensive.

IMO, i think that these disks are 'irregulars'. they are in a way similar to clothes that are sold as irregular at factory outlets.

my reason for this is that in both of the 100 pack spindles that i bought all of the disks had rough edges and they were not all cut the same. granted they were all in a circular cut form but they were very rough on the edges. i don't think that this effects the dye so the disks are still good.

i would surmise that the ricoh factory where these were made have specs that they use for good cuts of disks that go to brand name manufacturers like memorex. and the irregulars are sold at a heavy discount to private label brands like arita.

i am not complaining though. i got 200 4x dvd+r's for forty cent apiece.
    I really dont think thats true. I have some Memorex and some TDKs that I just looked at. On the Memorex I see only a few spots that are ruff, but the TDKs have a ruff edge all the way around. I believe you are most likely paying the "Name brand markup". Companys like Memorex and TDK pay alot for advertising and other overhead. They want and need to make a lot more profit on their media.
    Quote Quote  
  12. i would surmise that the ricoh factory where these were made have specs that they use for good cuts of disks that go to brand name manufacturers like memorex
    Like memorex, eh? I dont think that's something to be happy about
    -Yar, matey!-
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got four packs of the Imation ricoh disks for $60bucks with four $10 dollar rebates. The rebates are one per houshold so I am going to have to spread them out a bit. $20 bucks for 100 disks is not bad at all, heck $60 bucks is not bad. Anyway they are all 4x and they burn at 6x with no errors on my TDK-840G, Nero says they are burning at 8x but it takes 12minutes for a 4.2 gig file a little long for 8x.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by dmagic1
    I really dont think thats true. I have some Memorex and some TDKs that I just looked at. On the Memorex I see only a few spots that are ruff, but the TDKs have a ruff edge all the way around. I believe you are most likely paying the "Name brand markup". Companys like Memorex and TDK pay alot for advertising and other overhead. They want and need to make a lot more profit on their media.
    I totally agree that you are paying for the brand name markup. However, that does not negate that the discs that are sold to TDK and Memorex to brand have not passed a quality control test. I just looked at my Memorex and TDK +r's again. The Arita 4x +r's are significantly rougher around the edge than the name brand disks, regardless or how much more rough the TDK's are than the Memorex.

As you stated, and we all know, we are paying a markup for the name. But what happens to the disks that still meet spec burning wise but not edge wise. I believe they get sold to companies like Arita that will sell them for a profit but nowhere near the margin of brand name companies.

We all know that it might cost Ricoh a literal dime to make these. Therefore even at forty cent these companies are still making a killing. Especially, when every Office Max in the country sells out of them.

Last, my comments were not intended to 'dog' these Arita's. Only to hypothesize about the nature of their very inexpensive price. As stated previously, I have purchased two hundred of these disks. And will continue to purchase them as long as they serve my needs.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by nf321
    I got four packs of the Imation ricoh disks for $60bucks with four $10 dollar rebates. The rebates are one per houshold so I am going to have to spread them out a bit. $20 bucks for 100 disks is not bad at all, heck $60 bucks is not bad. Anyway they are all 4x and they burn at 6x with no errors on my TDK-840G, Nero says they are burning at 8x but it takes 12minutes for a 4.2 gig file a little long for 8x.
    You need the real speed registry entry for Nero. It will show the actual speed Nero is burning instead of the selected speed.

Code:
    REGEDIT4 
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Recorder]
    "ShowSingleRecorderSpeed"=dword:00000001
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks dmagic1 that worked like a charm, you solved a problem I didn't even know that I had. Anyway the write stratagy for that media code doesn't seem to work with these disks, it starts off fine at 5.9x for the first 20% but then drops down to 3.9x for the rest of the burn. I remember reading that it should jump up to 12x or something like that, for the second part.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ran out of media today, so went to OfficeMax.

Tons of Mystery media is there. In the reciept said Arita 2.4X DVD+R. But what I got is a 100 spindle labeled 4x DVD+R RIDATA at the regular price of $89.99. At the bottom said "Brought to you by Ritek.

Is this good media? This is my first time to use Ritek Media. My rule is stay with Memorex 4X DVD+R and Verbatim 2.4X DVD+R.

I heard everyone said Ritek is good media.

Thanks
    VP

UPDATE: Burned 20 last night. They are all excellent. Smooth at 4X speed. Play great on my Sony NS725P. I love Ritek now.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Ritek manufactures discs, Memorex doesen't. The 'good' batches of Memorex are Riteks, the ones that give problems are the CMC discs. If you skip the brands and just go with Ritek you will get the same quality, know exactly what your getting, and probably spend less money.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh God, i can never go back to 2.4x again. heck, I sometimes pause at 4x if Im not sure it will burn 8x on my writer. Speaking of ...has anyone got their reabte back on this yet?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Ritek manufactures discs, Memorex doesen't. The 'good' batches of Memorex are Riteks, the ones that give problems are the CMC discs. If you skip the brands and just go with Ritek you will get the same quality, know exactly what your getting, and probably spend less money.
    Hmmm memorex -R are cmc disks +r are ritek from what I understand
    they work great I got them instead of the 2.4x because they were out :P
    terramir
    added videocard had to downclock my proc got 10 C hotter in my case time to ducts that sucker ;@ had to down my overclock was 2200mhz now 2100 mhz :'(
    Quote Quote