VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. "Arita" discs all scratched, scuffed, and dirty...!!!

I bought a spindle, er, "pack" of these at O.M. and ended up returning them.

Every single disc in the Saran-Wrapped pack was scuffed on the edges, scratched somewhere in the middle and all appeared to be have been swept off the floor a local tavern. Two I looked at even had FINGERPRINTS! And yes, the pack was as "sealed" as any of the others sitting there on the shelf...

When you must suffer the rigors of obtaining a rebate (good luck, O fine print readers) and half of these scuffed marvels end up as coasters, what kind of deal is that? Office Max lists unbelievable prices for the old reason of "you get what you pay for."

Buyer beware...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ARITA pink-branded 2.4x-labeled media, burned at 4x just fine in my BTC1004, RICOHJPN 4x write strategy and media code, burned fine. Played great.

First disc was coaster. Rest have been fine.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well I have burned four of them on my Sony DRU500ax and all play just fine all the way through to the end. The first disc burned at 4X but the next three started out at 4X (using RecordNow Max) however after about 10% into the burn drop back to 2.4X speed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. all officemax's in my area are out of stock.. I got the canned "We'll have them on friday" as a response.. yeah.. right.
    Quote Quote  
  5. i went to office max to see do they have any let. they did not but they offered memorex DVD+R two 50 pack for the price of 40$ at register no rebate.
    Baskaran Swamiappan
    Englewood,CO
    baskis@gmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  6. I went yesterday and they were out of stock. When I asked when they would have more the sales guy asked me if I wanted to order some I asked how much the shipping was and he said "no charge" So I ordered 100 and the system said I should expect them to arrive at my home on Feb 12. Since I have more than enough DVD blanks to last 'till then I was a happy camper I just hope I'll be as happy on the 12th when I find out if they actually arrive and if they are really what they promissed. WOW, $0.63 per DVD (with tax and before MIR). When the dual layer discs/drives come out we'll be paying $0.35 a piece (I hope )
    Quote Quote  
  7. I just got back from OfficeMax. They substituted 4 of the Imation 4x DVD+R 25 packs for $40. The register also popped out 4 $10 rebate receipts. So I may end up getting 100 disks for free.

Not bad. I will check the media code and do a burn tonight.

Looks like this is the deal of the week.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tonyk23
    I just got back from OfficeMax. They substituted 4 of the Imation 4x DVD+R 25 packs for $40. The register also popped out 4 $10 rebate receipts. So I may end up getting 100 disks for free.

Not bad. I will check the media code and do a burn tonight.

Looks like this is the deal of the week.
    I got mine also, but they charged me 59.00 for a 4 packs of Imation.

The lady the ran it on the register told me that I still need to send in a rebate form for the 20.00 off. I hope this is legit and to get back 20.00 . if not I paid 15.00 for a 25 pack of Imation. I hope these are good dvd-r's

anyone know if these are good? Who makes them>?
    *New Mac user*, been PC user 4 life
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Regal
    As far as who makes the imations, well that was posted up above. And You should still get ur $20.00 rebate. As is you paid .59 per disc and they are dang good discs too. So u got a good deal, throw in the reabte and u paid .39 per discs. It just dont get much better than that, except free.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got the same deal as Regal last night on the Imation DVD+Rs. The register spit out four rebate forms, but the cashier only gave me two of them. Keeping my fingers crossed that Office Max will allow two rebates to the same address.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just went to local officemax and they had just re-stocked. They were selling a 100 pack of Arita 4X dvd+r. The upc code said RIDATA.
    Quote Quote  
  12. What interesting to me is that I get far better write quality with the Arita ricohs than with the Memorex ricohs.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Thor443
    Just went to local officemax and they had just re-stocked. They were selling a 100 pack of Arita 4X dvd+r. The upc code said RIDATA.
    Thor, which store did you go to?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you just bought the dvdr from OfficeMax, please post the address &phone # of the store you just bought from.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by xcool
    If you just bought the dvdr from OfficeMax, please post the address &phone # of the store you just bought from.
    I don't know the phone number, but it was located on Central Avenue in Albany (Town of Colonie), New York. They had about a dozen packs on the shelf. They are Ricoh 4x dvd+r.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like Thor443, I just went and picked up 2 100-packs of the Arita 4X that was the replenishment/replacement of the deal. DVD Identifier listed them as RICOHJPNR01-R02. This was after calling 3 other OM locations near me. The UPC is 846122002023. Store #173, (708) 867-0123 in Harwood Heights, IL, in case anyone from IL is interested. They have 16 spools now (after 2 I bought), and 2 rainchecked. These are in their own plastic spindle, not the spindleless types.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by dmagic1
    What interesting to me is that I get far better write quality with the Arita ricohs than with the Memorex ricohs. There is a slight difference in the media code. Kprobe reports about a 70-80 PI difference. Both will write at speeds from 2.4x-8x

Arita
    00000000 08 02 00 00 01 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 1E E5 FF ................
    00000010 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 52 49 43 4F 48 4A 50 4E 52 .......RICOHJPNR
    00000020 30 31 02 38 23 54 37 09 00 3C 67 00 AC 62 16 18 01.8#T7..<g..b..
    00000030 0B 0B 0A 0B 01 19 1B 0B 0B 0E 0F 01 00 00 00 00 ................

Memorex
    00000000 08 02 00 00 A1 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 25 BF BF .............%..
    00000010 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 52 49 43 4F 48 4A 50 4E 52 .......RICOHJPNR
    00000020 30 31 02 38 23 54 37 09 00 3C 67 00 AC 62 16 18 01.8#T7..<g..b..
    00000030 0B 0B 0A 0B 01 19 1B 0B 0B 0E 0F 01 00 00 00 00 ................
    No there is no relevant difference in the media code. They would have been exactly the same if you had read the original media code before you burnt the discs. The difference in byte 0 (or the 5th byte if you just count from left on the first line) is because the Arita disc is burnt with DVD-ROM book type hence get 01 here while the Memorex disc is burnt with DVD+R book type hence get A1 here. The three last bytes on the first line just specify the data end sector.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Learn something new everyday.
    Quote Quote  
  19. all officemax's in my area are out of stock.. I got the canned "We'll have them on friday" as a response.. yeah.. right.
    1: Officemax people are crazy. They go and line up and the stock runs out within the first 30 seconds (ive been there many times I'm usually the one who clears the shelf!)

2: A lot of officemax stores are going out of business...they're not being restocked. Its evil how they advertize KNOWING that they dont have any (or have only 1)
    -Yar, matey!-
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kingnog
    2: A lot of officemax stores are going out of business...
    Says who? I've not caught that in any newspapers or news/financial magazines I read. I think it may just be your one store.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The OM that I went to pick up the 2 spindles even had a sign up asking for part time help, so it's hard to think that they would be going out of business.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Never missed a rebate. As a matter of fact I now get e-mail notification which allows me to track the rebates.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Says who? I've not caught that in any newspapers or news/financial magazines I read. I think it may just be your one store.
    Says the officemax employees. They even named a bunch of stores and said "these are closing down" and "these are staying open"
    -Yar, matey!-
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Says who? I've not caught that in any newspapers or news/financial magazines I read. I think it may just be your one store.
    Says the officemax employees. They even named a bunch of stores and said "these are closing down" and "these are staying open"
    Again, just in your area.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Again, just in your area.
    We'll see When the world ends, remember this post!
    -Yar, matey!-
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Again, just in your area.
    We'll see When the world ends, remember this post!
    Hmm... Think I'll be able to still login?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Yes Vcdhelp will still be here. Btw I had no idea you could order a pack at the store. I thought if they didn't have it at that moment that was it.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Officemax usually lets me down so often, I don't even shop there. I can't stand the ads in their (and other office supply stores) that advertise the after rebate price as the real price (in small print it says "after rebate"). God that's irritating!!! Anywho, I bit the bullet this time and called 3 different stores until I found one that actually had them in stock. I am very pleased with the overall quality of the discs. They are pink labeled Arita discs, but are actually RICOH. I've used quite a few of them already, and not a coaster to speak of. On a side note: I must be awful lucky concerning coaster making. In my 2 year tenure (dvd making), I have burnt only about 2 coasters, and when I started I used only 1x princo white tops (which everyone hates). I've probably just jinxed myself.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Well I just got off the phone with the lady from OM in Eatontown NJ and she says they have a full endcap with them, so I'm gonna shoot on over there later on and pick up some. Hopefully they burn at 8x.. but either way, 4x or even 2.4x is still pretty good for that price.
    =)
    Quote Quote  
  30. Just a quick note for those of you who live near an Office Max. The store I went to (Baldwin Park,CA) was out of the 100 mystery brand so they replace them with Imation DVD+R 4X at the same price. Plus I got $20 in rebates. So, my 100 pack of Imation's cost me $43. Don't know if all the stores will do this, but it wouldn't hurt to try.
    Quote Quote