VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kairk
    Does anyone know what the max resolution the rj1500 will play? I tried playing a 1280x720 xvid avi and got the message "Reso. not supported". If it matters, I'm trying to play it on a regular (non-HDTV) TV.
    I don't know the answer to this for sure but the DivX Home Theatre Profile is MAXED out resolution wise at 720x480/576

My understanding though is that a "full screen" DivX should be 640x480

Anyways ...

I'm sure this also applies to Xvid playback since both DivX and Xvid are more-or-less the same thing i.e., MPEG-4 codecs.

So in short I doubt this or any current stand alone DVD player with MPEG-4 support can handle anything over 720x480/576 resolution.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you don't mind my asking, where did you guys end up buying this player from?

Ebay seems to be about $10-20 more expensive than some sites I've found it on, though I don't know how reputable the sites are.

Have any of you ordered from the places listed below? If so, how was your experience with them?

http://www.nanosek.com/

http://www.videos2dvd.com/divxplayers.html

http://www.bigbuyz.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RJ-1500DVX

http://www.barrel-of-monkeys.com/graphics/prod/dvdplayers/rj/rj1500dvx.shtml

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Watch Ebay- Just got a new one for $110
    Quote Quote  
  4. To follow up with my last review, it's still all good. It doesn't support QPEL but I only have like 2 avi's that are QPEL.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I just got my RJ1500 in the mail today (bought it after my Liteon 2001 starting acting up), and I'm not having any luck with it at all! I've got dozens of discs that I've burned with XVID rips that I've encoded myself, as well as a disc full of music videos (including xvid, divx and mpegs), all of which played perfectly on the Liteon. However, on the new RJ1500, I get super-choppy play on the xvids, no audio on the divx, and the mpegs show in black and white.

I remember when I got the Liteon I had to do a firmware upgrade right away, before I could play everything, but I've heard nothing about the RJ1500. You folks that are saying everything looks great - what are you doing differently?

Chris
    Quote Quote  
  6. I will let you know in a couple of days when I recieve mine if it plays my discs. I have an exxxtremely large collection of divx/xvid movies, and this will be my first player, so I am crossing my fingers. The worst thing that could happen is I sell it back on ebay.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You folks that are saying everything looks great - what are you doing differently?
    Well as far as xvid goes, you said you ripped it yourself. That might be one thing you are doing differently.

After almost a month now, I still have no complaints.

A very small % of my movies had trouble.

Is the audio in your movies VBR? I have always changed my audio to CBR. I have read that VBR causes problems on all the players out there (Liteon, Yamada, RJtech). Two movies that I had in VBR gave me problems. Changing to CBR fixed the problem.

Just one question....if everything played perfectly on the Liteon, why did you get a new divx player?? What do you mean by "acting up"?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Why pay 150$ for Rj when you go to your local Compusa and pick up Philips DVP642 for 69$. With all respect to RJ, Philips is a more solid brand and has progressive scan. I picked one up today for my bedroom and I am pleased with it. The only thing RJ has that Philips does not is a VGA output which is helpful for those of you with front projectors. BUT IT IS TWICE AS CHEAP! and you can buy it at your local Compusa. where you can service and return it if you don't like it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by absolutic
    Why pay 150$ for Rj when you go to your local Compusa and pick up Philips DVP642 for 69$. With all respect to RJ, Philips is a more solid brand and has progressive scan. I picked one up today for my bedroom and I am pleased with it. The only thing RJ has that Philips does not is a VGA output which is helpful for those of you with front projectors. BUT IT IS TWICE AS CHEAP! and you can buy it at your local Compusa. where you can service and return it if you don't like it.
    I have never heard of the Philips DVP642 so I looked here in the DVD Players section and it is not listed!

So I went to the CompUSA website and here is the direct link:

CompUSA LINK

According to CompUSA this does DivX 3.11/4.x/5.x

However according to the offical DivX website the only Philips DVD player on the list of approved hardware is the Philips DVD737 ... interestingly the RJ TECH 1500 is listed but not the Philips DVP642

For anyone interested here is a DIRECTY LINK to the Philips website for the DVP642

Philips does indeed claim MPEG4 and DivX support for this model.

Nowhere on the Philips site could I find a DVD player with the model number 737 though which is what the DivX website claims is the model Philips that is approved.

Go figure !!!

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  10. I got my RJ1500 today and the following is what I have tried....

Store-bought DVD, NTSC: Played great
    Copied DVD, NTSC on DVD-R: Played great
    Copied PAL DVD burned on DVD-R: Played great

I tried a tv show I converted to DIVX v5 and the video played OK but I got no audio at all. All I did was burn the AVI file to a CD-RW and tryed in the RJ1500. I dont know if there is a trick program to burn DIVX movies like roxio does with VCD's or what.

Is there a trick I dont know about?

As I try more media and formats I will report them here.....

sp
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sellpipe
    I got my RJ1500 today and the following is what I have tried....

Store-bought DVD, NTSC: Played great
    Copied DVD, NTSC on DVD-R: Played great
    Copied PAL DVD burned on DVD-R: Played great

I tried a tv show I converted to DIVX v5 and the video played OK but I got no audio at all. All I did was burn the AVI file to a CD-RW and tryed in the RJ1500. I dont know if there is a trick program to burn DIVX movies like roxio does with VCD's or what.

Is there a trick I dont know about?

As I try more media and formats I will report them here.....

sp
    What kind of audio format did you use? CBR MP3 or VBR MP3 or something else like AC-3 etc.?

Quote Quote  
  12. thanks John....

I am at a different comp right now so I am not sure exactly. I used the basic settings in EO video......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sellpipe
    thanks John....

I am at a different comp right now so I am not sure exactly. I used the basic settings in EO video......
    I never used that and very few do that might be the problem.

You should just use VirtualDubMod or maybe the Gordian Knot package or even Dr. DivX (though I hate the interface myself).

Quote Quote  
  14. AH!!

According to gspot it is PCM......

I can get the trial of Dr Divx and see what happens....

thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  15. I went to the local CompUsa and got the Philips for 69$. Great machine! Played everything at least so far. It is listed on Philips site as a new model. DIVX and XVID played fine. I think it is a much better deal than RJ moneywise. Plus I can go back to Compusa and return it. As far as I know there are no local retailers of RJ.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Originally Posted by absolutic
    Why pay 150$ for Rj when you go to your local Compusa and pick up Philips DVP642 for 69$. With all respect to RJ, Philips is a more solid brand and has progressive scan. I picked one up today for my bedroom and I am pleased with it. The only thing RJ has that Philips does not is a VGA output which is helpful for those of you with front projectors. BUT IT IS TWICE AS CHEAP! and you can buy it at your local Compusa. where you can service and return it if you don't like it.
    I have never heard of the Philips DVP642 so I looked here in the DVD Players section and it is not listed!

Nowhere on the Philips site could I find a DVD player with the model number 737 though which is what the DivX website claims is the model Philips that is approved.

Go figure !!!

John, 737 is only sold in Europe. 727 is sold in the US but it is not a DIVX model. 642 is such a new model that I looked at the back of mine and it says, manufactured in February 2004.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Well to answer optimus's questions, the movies that I ripped have worked perfectly in my Liteon 2001 for several months. They are xvid with vbr audio (I've never had a problem with vbr before). The "acting up" that the Liteon is doing is jumping around a lot when reading xvid/divx files; as it the laser were mis-aligned. Regular dvds play fine, it seems. I figure that buying a new dvd player is about the same cost as taking in my old one to get recalibrated.

As for the RJ1500, it wouldn't even play store-bought dvds correctly, so I assume that it is defective (possibly from shipping). I wrote to videos2dvd (where I bought it), and they were very responsive, and even gave me a small refund for the return shipping charges. I should have the second player next Weds or Thurs, so fingers crossed that it works correctly...

That Phillips dvd player sounds very cool (and cheap!), but does it play PAL and different region-ed discs? It wouldn't do me any good if not...

Chris
    Quote Quote  
  18. philips plays pal and ntsc no problems, but so are most players these days. As to multiregion hack, i am sure it will be available soon, the player is just too new and noone posted the hack yet.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hello Optimus, or whoever knows the answer,

Quoting from Optimus' previous post:
    Originally Posted by optimus
    With the lite-ons I have read that you have to use some kind of zoom feature to get the right aspect ratio?
    I have a standard tv (not widescreen). Am I going to have to change anything on the player/tv to get normal 4:3 aspect ratio, or will all my divx movies just appear normally on the tv?
    How does RJ1500 display the aspect ratio? No problem? I know that there is a problem with KISS DP-500 with aspect ratio (top and bottom portions of the pictures are cropped, thus the subtitles are not shown). Does RJ1500 have the same problem or is there a setting (zoom, scale, etc.) that can tweak the display to be viewed properly?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  20. I am confused.

Absolutic wrote:
    I went to the local CompUsa and got the Philips for 69$. Great machine! Played everything at least so far. It is listed on Philips site as a new model. DIVX and XVID played fine. I think it is a much better deal than RJ moneywise. Plus I can go back to Compusa and return it. As far as I know there are no local retailers of RJ.
    Yet, that was the first time that xvid was mentioned with that dvd player in this thread (I think). So does the Philips model at compusa support xvid? Can anyone confirm for sure?

If so, that's the best kept secret out there....a $69 dixv/xvid player
    Quote Quote  
  21. I guess this thread answers my question.

Code:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=215682&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
    Too bad that so little was known about the Philips model back when I bought the RJ player. Still, my rjtech player has been great. But a $60 savings would not have hurt.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by optimus
    Ixvid? Can anyone confirm for sure?

This Philips player is great.Today I play with this player all day.
    This player take all my Divx 3,4,5 movies.Also I have Xvid movies.This player won't play only 1 Xvid movie.Don't know why.I burn this movie again on lower speed and still won't play.

Video quality is very good.
    Quote Quote  
  23. ****Updated****

I have an RJTech 1500 divx standalone player. It supports xvid, divx, etc.

Normally, when Qpel is involved I get an error that Qpel codec is not supported. However, lately, I have been getting an error on some xvid encoded files that "codec is not supported." It does not specify which codec is the problem. I know one file was xvid rc3 encoded. I do not know which version of xvid the other files were encoded with. However, I have other xvid rc3 encoded files that play fine on my standalone player. So I don't think the xvid rc3 codec is the problem.

So what could be the problem?

The file has MP3 ABR encoding for audio. I can't imagine that being the codec issue.

Also, I know that fourcc will allow you to change the header on a file, but how can you find out what the current header is? It is my understanding that the xvid rc3 header is a little different from the standard xvid header.
    I tried changing to xvid/xvid using fourcc but that didn't work either. I still got the codec not supported error. By the way, video start to play for a split second before the screen goes black and gives me the error.

Any suggestions? I'de like to find out the culprit here. Also, is there any way to determine whether my other non-working xvid files were encoded with the rc3 version?
    Quote Quote