VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I compress dvd backups using nero recode, dvdxcopy, and dvdshrink, and when i play the vob files on my computer, the quality is okay (there are very small artifacts which can be overlooked). However, once I burn them to DVD and play them back of any of my 3 dvd players, those tiny artifacts are expanded into very distracting distorted rectangles. Can anyone shed some light on what is going on? My system is an AMD XP2400, ASUS a7n8x deluxe, with a Pioneer DVR-A06 (aka DVR-106d), and I have tried a variety of media with the same result.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you are trying to back up the whole disc (extras and all), then you will notice a quality loss. I do "movie-only" backups. That way, quality loss is minimal and hardly noticeable or unnoticeable in most cases. You should see that option in at least two of those programs. I've never used dvdxcopy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I am backing up only the movie, and the compression ratio is like 90-99%, so there should not be any artifacts at all. Even when the compression ratio is 100% there are still artifacts!
    Quote Quote