VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got this USB device and I'd like to write a little review on it:

1. TV can be used with many system NTSC, PAL, SECAM.

The TV software that comes with the unit is great but that just about it.
    Tried to hook up S-VIDEO to it and play back video from sony camcoder the preview is jerky, seems that TV has problem reconstructing interlace lines and abviously has problems with high motion scene.
    The colour is washed out for both TV and S-Video (Composite) input - I had to increase the saturation to 3/4 in order to see the right colour.

2. The unit has audio IN and audio OUT. However in order to capture the audio from TV or from audio IN a sound card with a LINE-IN is required. Which is a problem for me since my laptop does not have line IN. That means that only Video signal is capture through USB not audio.

3. The remote is excellent and very fast and responsive.

4. Tried to capture DVD preset and quality (default to "fastest") 3995KB
    (wierd preset) The capture video is "less than OK" for me.
    As soon as i try the "highest" quality then the capture video will be
    So jerky and un-usable.

5. Tried capturing DVD-MPG2 640x480 6MB with quality
    setting "normal" and the quality is GOOD. The quality can be set to
    Fastest, Fast, Normal, High, Higher, Highest. Anything other than
    normal is jerky.

6. Tried capturing 720x480 6MB and quality "faster". The video is
    GOOD for non-motion video but as soon as there is a panning the
    VIDEO is jerky.

So the only acceptable settings for me are the DVD preset 720x480 3995KB (almost 4MB) quality "fastest" and MPG2 640x480 quality "normal". I have tried other possibities but the video quality is either blocky (pixelated) or jerky.

I am trying to get a LINE IN solution for my Laptop and I thought this unit will give me a LINE-In solution plus capturing capability and TV. But it does not. I have seen some USB sound devices but it would be nice to have LINE-IN and video-IN in a box.

I had ordered another USB device - its the Plextor CONVERTX2 PX-M402 found here

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/ConvertX2.htm

Any reviews, comments on Plextor CONVERTX2 PX-M402 (or the older model PX-M401) ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ADS has one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Previously posted by vcdforme:

The only one from ADS that does not require computer/laptop with a LINE-IN for capture audio is ADS DVD Xpress Video. Everything else requires LINE-IN.

The problem is i've read people complaining about overheating problem with DVD Xpress. Not sure it this is true.

Any info on this?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the ADS DVD-Xpress and it will do what you are looking for. A line-in is not required and even though it does run hot, I have been able to capture up to 2 hours of 720x480 Mpeg 2 at 8000mbs without any lockups. I have more trouble with the Video Studio 7 software than I do with the DVD xpress. I usually just use the cap wiz software to capture and then use VS 7 for menus and chapters.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi Xrayduke,
    Can you tell me a little more about the ADS DVD XPress unit.
    After capturing to full D1 MPEG-2 or half D1 MPEG-2, are the MPEG-2 files compliant so other software can process it (for authoring, demux, etc...)
    Any extra info is very welcome.
    ktnwin - PATIENCE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ktnwin,

I haven't captured anything to half D1 MPEG-2 yet but I have used the Video Studeo 7 SE software that came with the DVD Xpress and Sonic MyDVD with full D1 MPEG-2 without any problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IK have been looking at the TV-PTR device as a lower cost capture device that possibly eliminates the separate "rendering" step required by the ConvertX.

I have a ConvertX 401 and am using it with a 3GHz Pentium 4. It works fine and the software is fine for removing commercials, trimming, etc, (although the manual does not explain how). However it captures as *.mpg files which have to be separately "rendered" to obtain the DVD files for burning and the rendering takes as long as the capturing. (The ConvertX however does not allow you to "render" files too large for a DVD so these have to be split, rendered separately, and later combined with another program such as DVD Shrink.)

So, does the Kworld require a separate "rendering" step or can it both 1) render separately and 2) directly produce burnable DVD files?

Also, is any TV-PTR jerkyness due to lower speed processor? Is the jerkyness in the final movie or just in the display during capture?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.adstech.com

The ADS usb product line currently includes:

Instant Dvd (first ver) captures audio thru sound card, NOT RECOMMENDED

DvdExpress- hardware mpg encoder. encodes both audio and vid IN box

IDVD-2- hardware encoder/decoder. eencodes audio and vid IN box. jCurrently on sale at Circut City for $99 after rebate

IDVD +Dv same as IDVD-2 with added dv input

Due in March, TV deluxe, tv-tuner/pvr with all of above
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been looking at the Kworld X-Pert TV-PVR as a possible low cost way to eliminate some problems with the ConvertX and its bundled software.

The ConvertX 401 version and it works fine for capturing High resolution movies and the bundled software is satisfactory for removing commercials from movies, etc. What I don't like is the extra step required for converting the captured ".mpg" files to a burnable DVD product. Since even Windows Media Player can handle mpg files, this is only a DVD player issue.

The Interrvideo DVDCreator software will also not allow you to "make a movie" that is larger than what can burned to a DVD, so you have to manually split up large movies and later recombine the converted product using software such as DVD Shrink.

Can the Kworld X-Pert TV-PVR produce a directly burnable DVD format while capturing? If so, assuming you capture files to a hard drive, are there any imposed file size limitations (i.e.,for files larger than 4.7GB)?

Is it possible that any jitter or jumps in movie output are due to use of a slower processor?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Previously posted by DonMac:
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Can the Kworld X-Pert TV-PVR produce a directly burnable DVD format while capturing? If so, assuming you capture files to a hard drive, are there any imposed file size limitations (i.e.,for files larger than 4.7GB)?

Is it possible that any jitter or jumps in movie output are due to use of a slower processor?
    __________________________________________________ __________

Any MPEG2, as long as video resolution meets the criteria (for NTSC = 352x480, 704x480, 720x480) and audio 48Khz can be used to make DVD. It all depends on the authoring softwares. Sometimes authoring softwares do not like the files without them being demuxed first (split the audio and video streams).

The answer to first question is yes it can make DVD ready MPEG2 files at its DVD preset with bitrate at 3995KB. The quality is little bit less than acceptable provided there is not a lot of motion. Capturing bigger than 4.7 is no problem.

For the second question, I tested it with my Toshiba 2.6G laptop as well as a 2.80G PC (Hyperthread on Asus Main Board) they both gave the same results. The box says a minimum requirement of 2G processor.
    I am positive my CPU's and USB 2.0 ports are fine as I've been using LG 4048B IDE DVD burner inside USB 2.0 IDE box. I've been burning DVD+R at 8X (around 11MB/second) and never made any coaster at all.

Simply put, i was just wasting my time when I ordered and tested Kworld X-Pert TV-PVR.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying to decipher the software that came with my Kworld DVD Express USB 2.0 for about a week. So far, the final output to burn to DVD is jerky. I've tried all three settings--60, 120 and 180 and they all produce results not equal to the original VHS tape.

LynnsABCs
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Manokat for the info. Your comments as well as the others are sufficient to make me wait for another product. At least the ConvertX does produce good output, albeit with the extra time expense of rendering mpg files.
    Quote Quote  
  13. hi i need little help i am looking for ppl using this kworld dvd usb maker 2.0
    i have athlon 2200+ 1.3Ghz 256 RAM 64 mb shared ATI RADEON 320 card i try to capture movie from my dvd play er or my sataltie i am using the dvd plu software the picture is not clear its all blocks on the picture and when u view it in big screen mode or full screen u cant see anything but blocks blocks!
    can u tell me whats wrog?
    and why this happening?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wrote by khansalman2004:
    __________________________________________________ _________
    hi i need little help i am looking for ppl using this kworld dvd usb maker 2.0
    i have athlon 2200+ 1.3Ghz 256 RAM 64 mb shared ATI RADEON 320 card i try to capture movie from my dvd play er or my sataltie i am using the dvd plu software the picture is not clear its all blocks on the picture and when u view it in big screen mode or full screen u cant see anything but blocks blocks!
    can u tell me whats wrog?
    and why this happening?
    __________________________________________________ _________

Sorry to hear you are having the same problem as I did.

My simple advice for you is just don't waste your time trying to make it work as it will never work.

I returned that thing and got a Plextor PX-M402U.
    PX-M402U is a great MPEG2/DiVX capture device.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote