VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. which is better, to run 2 pass vbr at highest bitrate or run the CQ feature? i split my movie in half and use 2 cds to make vcd per movie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CBR at the max bitrate is the best you can do, VBR is for when you want to save space by having a smaller file size.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  3. 2 pass VBR will give you better quality but CQ will encode faster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well in regard to the original question user jsl272003 says that he/she makes VCD

So if you stick to the VCD standard you will be using a CBR of 1150kbps for the VIDEO and 224kbps MP2 for the AUDIO

To create a VCD using different specs (aka different bitrates) then you are making what is called an XVCD and although you can get better quality that way ... good luck with compatibility amoung stand alone DVD players.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. ok let me explain a lil more what i am experienceing and what i am doing. ok so by standards i am making a xvcd. i have no problems playing them on either of my standalone player (sony and panasonic). what i do is i use the wizard and do my splitting with the source range. then i select 2 pas vbr with a max of 2526 and a min or 1151. then i select 80 min cdr and set the file size to 100% of disk space. this will raise the avg bitrate to whatever will fit on that cd. the problem i am experiencing is on some of my movies it runs perfectly fine, awesome quality, but in some places it gets blocky or the picture dissolves. i am wondering what i can do to correct this..that is why i was wondering which one was better. my avg bitrate and an 1 hr to 1 1/2 hour movie is about 2000 per cd.
    Quote Quote  
  6. By the looks of it, you may possibly be using an XVCD bitrate that is too high! First off, make sure that your source isn't blocky or whatever at the point you are aving your problems. To ensure smoothest XVCD playback, try not to deviate too much from the standard (1400kbps>bitrate>900kbps) for your avg bitrate. I persoanlly prefer the results of 2 Pass VBR over CQ, though CQ is considerably faster. Also 2 Pass is much better at estimating filesize and allocating, so if you won't be using your computer from anywhere between 4-10 hours, then go 2 pass vbr. For a 1 1/2 hour movie, I'd set the max bitrate to 1250, avg 900, min 300 for a 1 CD movie. Or try one of the KVCD or MVCD templates to try to squeeze a little size out of the quantisization/GOP structure. Try testing a few burns to figure out your maximum bitrate for your player - which can give you as much problems as too low a bitrate. Try to stay middle road.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well your question makes more sense now that we know that you are trying to create an XVCD

All I can tell you is that I tried my hand at XVCD back before I had a DVD burner and I never could get it to work with any of the then 2 different DVD players I tried.

Doing anything out-of-standard is a bad idea in my head.

If you want quality better than VCD then do SVCD or maybe try CVD

Otherwise get a DVD burner where you have more room to play around. For instance you can use 352x240/288 or 352x480/576 or 720x480/576 etc.

For exmaple ...

An XVCD in MPEG-1 at 352x240/288 with a bitrate of 2500 is not gonna work on many DVD players. But any DVD player can handle a DVD disc that has MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 at 352x240/288 with a 2500kbps bitrate.

It's just the way the players behave when playing a DVD disc VS a CD-R disc.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now that I kinda went on a rant about standards I suppose it is only fair that I weigh in with my view on 2-pass VBR vs CQ modes in TMPGEnc

I've never tested the two modes all that well myself. I tend to favor 2-pass VBR since you can more-or-less exactly determine the final size ala the AVG bitrate you set.

To me the problem with CQ mode is that you cannot accurately determine the final file size.

Some say CQ mode is better with low bitrates ala VCD, SVCD or CVD but I say what good is it when you can't determine the file size which is SO important when dealing with the limited space of a CD-R disc.

One trick I will give you that seems to work well with TMPGEnc ... when doing 2-pass VBR set your AVG exactly in the middle of what your MAX and MIN bitrates are. So for instance if you use a MAX of 2500kbps because you are making a SVCD and your AVG has to be 2000kbps to fit on the disc then use 1500kbps for your MIN.

For some reason it has been noted that TMPGEnc 2-pass VBR works best this way (with the AVG exactly between the MAX and MIN).

It is my theory that by doing this 2-pass VBR trick that you are "forcing" the 2-pass VBR mode to work somewhat similiar to CQ mode with the benefit of being able to determine the final file size.

Quote Quote  
  9. so would you use the wizard in tmpgenc or not?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jsl272003
    so would you use the wizard in tmpgenc or not?
    Why not? And I like the built in bitrate calculator.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  11. With TMPGenc the CQ mode produces better quality video than VBR. With CCE, its the other way round. I always use CQ for encoding and normally use the motion prediction search option as its quicker than "slow" and yields similar results.

Oh, and I have never used the wizard in my life!
    Quote Quote  
  12. what should be the settings in TMPGenc to convert a DVD to VCD
    (Less time and more than medium quality)
    i use wizard to import a DVD2AVI project file (from a guide in this site)
    i m newbie to DVD to VCD conversion

please help

SOrry if the question in wrong forum....if its in wrong forum then please to move it to the right as i am new here
    will be very thankful
    Quote Quote