VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I did a search here for this stuff without any results. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this stuff?

http://www.krylon.com/product/cd_product_detail.asp?sgID=CD37

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've used both the Gloss and Matte. It works well and dries fast. My biggest problem has been getting it on evenly. It often splotches or orange peels. I'm still experimenting but it seems that holding the can back further than suggested helps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. you have to put on several light coats and it still doesn't give the best results finish-wise. we stopped selling the stuff recently. a lot of people complained that if you don't take it VERY light you can cause the ink to run.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the info. I picked up a can of the Crystal Clear by Krylon because I was unable to find the Preserve It stuff. Lets see how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Please report your findings as I am considering a switch to this Krylon #1303 as well...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I never use the stuff. Use a good printer and good paper. Keep the file on CD or DVD. When the print dies, you still have perfect digital to reprint it again.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth
    you have to put on several light coats and it still doesn't give the best results finish-wise. we stopped selling the stuff recently. a lot of people complained that if you don't take it VERY light you can cause the ink to run.
    What do you recommend instead of the Preserve It? I'm ready to give up on that stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  8. you do what lordsmurf said to do. there really isn't any type of coating you are going to be able to put on with good results. I've seen the best results with epsons permabrite inks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What the hell is this thread about?

When I first opened it, I thought it was a guy asking about coating a printed CD/DVD that had bee run through an inkjet printer with non-pigmented dyes, then it quickly deteriorated to "I keep them on CD/DVD" and I use Krylon, and it's the best, but you gotta do this or that, and whatever.

It's just plain goofy.

If you gotta, and I guess the guy who said his 15 month old could recognize the pictures on the DVD he wanted to watch next, so he had to print the thing with a photo printer, teach him to read A B C or 1 2 3, and Magic Mark them as such. If you just want to rival the pros, you ain't the pros, and you ain't never gonna do that..

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by gmatov
    What the hell is this thread about?

If you just want to rival the pros, you ain't the pros, and you ain't never gonna do that..
    Don't be such a flamin' hypocrite, George. The reason you are a member of this forum is to help you create a product that closely rivals the "pros". Whether it be playback quality or labelling or whatever.

Don't make me tell your mommy on you...

+++ end bash

My "constructive" contribution:

I've used Krylon 1301 clear gloss, "protective, non-yellowing finish - 12min dry time". This stuff works pretty well. I've used it as close to 15 minutes after printing (using Ritek/Maxell) without ink-run problems.

My trials and tribulations are for reasons of longevity. I'm just wondering if these Krylon printables will outlast my non-retouched printables. There is no doubt that printables have a porous, ink-absorbing top coating....I just wonder how that affects it's life.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't mind Brother George; behind his acerbic tone is a heart of gold..

Hawseman once again hits the nail on the head; there are people in this forum who give the Pros a run for their money, in fact, some of them Are the Pros..!

Not everyone throws their CD/DVDs out/in with the bathwater; but, even those who are looking to protect their printed disc images from dust and fingerprints will realize the benefits of a protective coating sprayed to seal the deal.

It took me ages to get my masking jig/system set-up, but the oohhhs and ahhhhs of appreciative clients makes it worthwhile....
    Quote Quote  
  12. All I really want to know is if anyone has found a spray (preferably gloss) that goes on easily and evenly with a light protection for DVDs. I've seen all the discussions of the various Krylon 130x and Protect It products but it seems they all are fairly difficult to apply with any consistency.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lamination?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Darkburst, it would appear you have your answer..
    I've found holding the can back 18 inches and making several passes produces quite acceptable results with Krylon 13xx products.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You're right, some of them ARE the pros, who do this for a living.

But I don't think any of them have chimed in with "Paint 'em".

More likely they would tell you to do what they did, buy a printer that is designed to do one thing and to do it well, and that is to print on optical media.

Way back when this subject came up before, it seems the best way to do the paint thing was to mount the disk on a spinning mandrel, preferably with the entire hub protected, and to spin it as you spray.

Spinning would allow you to make an even coat of paint, fling off any excess, and save the balance, as in heavy on 1 quadrant of the disk. If the disk is out of balance too much, playback problems, as we have learned from labels.

I don't know the MSDS of Krylon, either, so till I did learn of its possible toxicity, don't think I would give it to a 15 month old. They have a tendency to nibble on things.

Buy a cheap printer that you can mod to be a disk printer and use pigmented inks, meaning, I suppose, only the Epson inks. And a lexmark or whatever would have to be flushed thoroughly to not mix the inks and possibly congeal and clog the nozzles.

Look up CD printers in search and read the long threads, complete with full instructions on how to do it.

And a true printable has an absorptive gel coat, similar to photo paper into which the ink penetrates and bonds, the vehicle evaporating. The pigmented inks have a micropulverized pigment powder suspended in the vehicle ( the liquid portion) which also dissolves the gel coat so the "powder" can bond to the gel, the vehicle, again, evaporating.

I can't remember who was the inventer, but you should find him easily in a search. And his instructions were clear and concise, anyone with a modicum of manual dexterity should be able to do it.

Cheers,

George

Umbearto,

I do not have a heart of gold. I'm just your typical crabby old man. Walter Matthau used me as his role model, but he never could get the grumpiness quite right.
    Quote Quote  
  16. There you go George...I knew you could contribute some good info here....

Much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'd have the same objections to your linked spray, but this time add the 150 buck minimum order, not that you couldn't, probably, find a supply locally to buy 1 can from.

First, it's a laquer, and if it's a traditional laquer, contains laquer thinner, which, as you might know, will dissolve the enamel paint off a car less than about 6 months painted. I'd have to go out to the garage to check, but seem to remember that it eats Lexan polycarbonate, too, at least will fog the surface.

And, it's made from oil or natural gas feedstock, I think, today, so same caution about letting a toddler chew on it.

And then, there is the gist of the thread, above, where some of the guys are bemoaning the poor application. I have decent spray equipment, and use a lot of laquer on my woodworking projects, and, I gotta tell you, I do not spray for beans. Runs, globs, overspray, underspray. It takes a real knack to spraypaint properly, and a can is not even as easy as a spraygun. I don't have that knack.

Oh, well.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not knocking your advice, but what is the subject line of this thread?
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote