VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've hit a problem encoding a file with an older version of toolame so I went to get the latest. I can only find the latest version (0.2l) as source.

But it's a command line app - so I thought "I know some C, how hard can it be to compile?"

Well too tough for me it seems

Has anyone got an tips on how to do this, where to start?

I'm using MS VC++ 6.0 - I created an empty console project and added all the source files to it.

First it had a problem with functions defined as INLINE - so I just commented the INLINE parameter and that seemed to work.

Next it's complaining about FILE not being a valid keyword - when it is! It's defined in stdio.h which is included in the app.

I thought maybe I'd need to compile under cygwin or something but looking at the previous exe, I don't think it's a cygwin exe - plus it was distributed on its own and cygwin exes need dlls for the runtime support don't they?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I did eventually find a pre-built version and guess what? It was built with cygwin! (cygwin.dll included)

Still it ought to be possible to to build a native version - I'm still interested in this if anyone has any comments.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    toolame is a native UNIX app written to be compiled with gcc. Compiling it as a native win32 console app would require porting, as you found. Somebody did the work to make a native win32 build for an old version, but nobody has done it with the current version. There isn't really much point now that cygwin is pretty mature and stable.
    A man without a woman is like a statue without pigeons.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well I'd still like to know how to do it if possible
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hay Shuggie,

why don't you just build a "shell" for it. Everyone does it these days ???

What features are you looking for or at, to do w/ toolame ??

If it's just a command-line, list the switches, and I'll try and chaulk up a
    winda :P

What'doo you say ?

-vhelp
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not really interested in writing a gui - since there's already one available.

What I wanted was to port the source so it'll compile natively, so I don't have to install cygwin.
    Quote Quote