VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I downloaded the Terminator and divx codec and i watched it no problem. I wanted to make a DVD disc to play on my stand alone player, so I decoded it on TMPGEnc. Now what?? I can't find the file and don't know what to do next.
    Also, since I have dedoded it I can't play it on my computer any more. How can I put it on a CD with my burner and watch it on my DVD player?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: circleline on 2001-10-17 19:24:30 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  2. first of all, it is impossible to create it as a DVD. Unless you have a brand new$900 DVD Rom rewritable and the $10.00 discs to go with it.
    if you can't find the file do a file search with windows and search for "*.mpg ". That should locate any files on your system that are video files. Or open up TMPGEnc and see if the file is still listed in the Browse window and in the Output window will be the place where the file resides. If you encoded it as an SVCD it will not play in players like media player cause you need an mpeg2 codec or an mpeg2 player like WinDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks corwin, althought it's bad news. The file is in the output line of the TMPGE although I have no idea how to make my cd burner burn it. Is that possible?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is possible to convert a divx to a vcd to watch on your standalone
    I have just re-encoded hannibal div x as a vcd.
    Open up the div-x in Virtual dub. File, then open video file
    Now click the video tab and either leave as direct stream copy to leave the video as a div-x (for now) or (as I find easier for later) re-encode with the div-x codec and make sure the bit rate is at 910, crispness 100. To do this you need to change to full processing mode , then select compression. This re-encode makes the TMpeg encode about a third of the time - well it does if the original divx is at a bit rate of 1500 or so or done woth the neew version of the codec so it saves time in the long run.
    Go to the audio tab, select full processing, compression and select NO COMPRESSION. Click file and save as AVI. Give it a name and tell it which directory to put it in. The resulting file should be around 2 to 3 gigs.
    If only converting the audio this should take about 10 minutes or so. If doing the video too it will take around 2 hours. Remember to make sure that sync to audio is enabled under the options tab.
    Once it is converted to a manageable form, load up TMpegEnc, I use version 12 i.
    Browse to the converted file you have just created, the same file should be put in as the audio source as well (automatically).
    Go to load and select your preferred template,
    I use TIbrO VideoCD (PAL).mcf from the extra templates folder - well slightly modified.
    You can either set it to batch encode in which case you can set it to auto shut down when it's done or you can just tell it to start - remember to enter the output details for your mpeg. It will take approx 9 hours to re-encode depending on your set up and the file.
    Once it's done you will have to spilt the mpeg, this can be done with TMpeg or with VCDCutter - note VCD cutter version 4.01 or lower (4.0o3 don;t do it even registered ones)and it doesn't like splitting files to more than 2 so beware but it is quicker. It's longer with TMpeg but more precise - do it via file and MPEG TOOLS and then MERGE & CUT tab.
    When you have your two mpeg files you can fire up NERO and select NEW, VIDEO CD, drag the first MPEG from the right panel to the left making sure it goes into the MPEGAV directory. Burn the CD and repeat for the second part.
    This will leave the film in VCD format that you can watch on your stand alone (or on your PC). This is providing your standalone accepts cdrs.
    This is my longest answer to anyone so I hope it helps.
    let us know how you get on.
    Regards

scattergun
    Quote Quote  
  5. Dude,
    you sound like yu know what the f*** ur talking about
    but I'm the biggest newbie there ever was!!
    I'm lost at open the virtual dub.file!!! How do Ido that? Sorry man
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK here goes

First off I'm sorry cos I didn't fully read all your post before
    Find your original div-x file - not the TMPGEnc encoded one. The div-x should still be on your hard drive somewhere cos TMPG creates a (new)mpeg file from your original.
    By the way you might still be able to convert the div-x straight off, but it will definitetly take longer. Make sure you selct the correct template for VCD compliant mpeg - this is where you may have gone wrong initially. As an afterthought try and get a copy of xingmpeg player - cos this will play not compliant mpegs so you can check the output file.
    Do a search with explorer to find the file. It will likely have an extension of AVI or maybe DVX. Just do a search for *.AVI with explorer and hopefully you'll find it. I usually stick any downloads int the same directories so I know where they are -0 it's a godd idea cos then if you forget the file name it's still easy to find. The alternative is either do a search for something realting to terminator, cos I imagine the file yoiu downloaded will have a version of it in the title. For example search for *term*.* in explorer and see what you come up with.
    Once you have the file and Virtual Dub - can get from tools link on the left. Once you have unzipped it all to a directory on your hard drive you can run VirtualDub.exe or of course you can create a shortcut to this file first.
    When Virtual dub loads up you will see the usual kind of grey window based prog. Click file and then you will see top of the list is open video file, click this and browse to the avi/divx and then hopefully you can follow the rest of my post above.
    If some of the above is teaching you to suck eggs a bit I appologise.

After all this if it doesn't work I guess your best bet is to print out the how to guides on the left and go through them carefully bit by bit.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards

scattergun
    Quote Quote