VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have made recordings of the same type of programming (NHK sumo tournament) over many nights in a row. The first six hours onto a Maxell DVD-RW (VR mode) at SLP and the next six hours onto a Maxell DVD+RW at SLP. The DVD+RW recording quality seems superior. Has anyone noticed any recording quality differences between DVD formats and/or brands. I am using a Sony RDR-GX7 recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The only true way to test this is to record the same EXACT programming using the same exact SW settings (if possible). So try taking the 1st 6 hours and recording to both media types (with it being RW you can erase it later) and then compare. Otherwise it is apples and oranges...

Since it is all digital, there should theorhetically be no difference if the source data is identical. How well a device reads a DVD may cause difference...
    Cendyne/Pioneer 105 & 104 with a Dazzle* Hollywood DV-Bridge.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by vortexiv
    I have made recordings of the same type of programming (NHK sumo tournament) over many nights in a row. The first six hours onto a Maxell DVD-RW (VR mode) at SLP and the next six hours onto a Maxell DVD+RW at SLP. The DVD+RW recording quality seems superior. Has anyone noticed any recording quality differences between DVD formats and/or brands. I am using a Sony RDR-GX7 recorder.
    I think you should ask this question in the DVD Recorders section intead of the Media section, since other than different video sources, the main difference is more likely due to DVD-VR vs. DVD+VR format using the SLP mode on your Sony model, not necessarily due to media difference between DVD-RW and DVD+RW. Since the current Sony model is the only one which can record both DVD-VR and DVD+VR format, your question may be of interest to potential buyers of standalone DVD recorders.
    Quote Quote