VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a new Toshiba notebook and have just purchased a Pioneer DVR-S606 DVD/CD Writer (external drive).

As soon as I plug into USB it detects new hardware, and then I get this message come up;

A problem has been deected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable driver or check with manufactures for driver update. Try changing video adapters.
    Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable Bios from memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Technical information; Stop: 0x0000007E. cdr4_xp.SYS - address F79b9ad9 based f79b8000. Datestamp 3e230329

I haven't a clue what ANY of this means. I went to Toshiba's website, but couldn't find any updates. I don't know how to check the other things. I'm new to all of this. But everytime I plug it in, this message comes up. Please, can anyone help me out?
    Quote Quote  
  2. To find out what this error message means go to GOOGLE and enter:
    stop: 0x0000007E.
    This will give you all the information needed to trouble shoot this problem.
    You may also look up cdr4_xp.SYS.

I suspect that you have recently upgraded a previous version of Windows to XP.

I will need a little more info on your system to go further.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The computer came with Windows XP, it's only four weeks old.

Windows XP Home Edition. Version 2002. Service Pack 1
    Toshiba Pentium (R) CPU 4 2.80GHz 2.79GHz. 480MB of RAM
    Quote Quote  
  4. Did you look up the stop error, and follow the check list of things to do?

I suspect a bad install of XP Home.

If you made recovery disks try doing a repair. I think cdr4_xp.sys maybe corrupted.

Check the pioneer site for updated drivers.

Check the toshiba site and verify that the pioneer will work.(a call or email to tech support).

My experience with toshiba laptops is that they can be fussy with other branded products.
    Quote Quote