VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need to rip a few scenes from various DVDs I have and then edit them together on to one DVD. I see a zillion different file formats: AVI, MPEG, DiVX and so on. Which ones are considered to have superior picture quality? I want to lose as little quality as possible. I had thought that it was possible not to lose any quality at all when ripping from a DVD and burning to another DVD. Is this a fallacy? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nikkoforever
    I had thought that it was possible not to lose any quality at all when ripping from a DVD and burning to another DVD. Is this a fallacy?
    Not fallacy...fact.

You can take a file from one DVD and make an exact bit-for-bit copy onto another. This does not mean that an entire commercial DVD can be copied exactly. Commercial DVD's are 2 layer, meaning that they have double the capacity of a DVD recordable. If you're just copying parts of a DVD then exact copies are possible.

BTW, to answer your subject question....It's best to rip the mpeg files from the DVD and keep them in their original form, no conversion should be done at all. That is the format you need when you go to put them back onto a DVD-R. They will probably appear as VOB's which will contain the mpeg video as well as the audio track(s).
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  3. Use DVD shrink 3.1. There are MANY guides available either here on the left, lordsmurf, or Afonic's place.

DVD Shrink will let you pop in your DVD, go to "Re-Author" and just cut it down to the parts you want to keep. Rinse, repeat as was stated in another post.

This way, no re-encoding or any other mumbo jumbo that will degrade the MPEG-2 on the DVD.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I like Xvid, the codec also got top marks from Doom9.org
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ronnald
    I like Xvid, the codec also got top marks from Doom9.org
    That's fine for playing on a computer but the original poster wants to put the dvd rip back onto DVD-R.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Rinse and Repeat was Moi.

It's like this. You can use DVDShrink to rip a particualr scene from a DVD. You can also use DVDDecryptor to rip a chapter(usually the same thing, but not always). Just save the rips in marked folders (seperate folder for each rip). When your done you have all these pieces of a DVD that are 100% the same as the original (no re-compression).

Now, you take TMPG Author, and create a new DVD. You then import 'DVD Video' and import what you ripped. You now have a DVD of your favorite scenes with no re-encdoding required. You can re-shrink the whole thing if it's a tad too big.

I'm particualy fond of my best of DVD's.......
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Gazorgan, you should make a guide.
    Quote Quote