VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    Does any one know how to play vcd's on a playstation 2?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think you need a chip of some sort
    Quote Quote  
  3. no he needs to search this forum to see that this question has been literally dug up every week and answer many times over...

IT CAN NOT BE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. No ps2 can not read VCD not even a chip or any thing will help for get about it. Ps1 can play vcd's
    Quote Quote  
  5. really can the ps1 play xvcds?

Might actually have a use for the one sitting in my closet

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  6. well I guess it needs the modchip to recognize the cd-r's because when I put mine in it didn't read them
    Quote Quote  
  7. ohh ok, i know that PSX can, i dont know about the PS-ONE model of the PSX (the really small one).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mike144k the ps1 only plays vcds if you have the vcd adapter which costs about $50. I doubt it would be able to handle xvcds with any bitrate much higher than the standard. It has a hard enough time just playing standard vcds.
    Quote Quote  

9. I do not wish to burst anyones bubble, but u can play VCD's on a PS2.
    You need to dowload some software, which rips VCD/AVI into PS2 movie format. But the thing is, it is not worth doing as it only enables 10-15 mins of film to be recorded onto one disc, due to the size of the conversion between avi <-> PS2 movie format, hence you would need roughly 6 cd's for one film .
    Quote Quote  
  10. yes yes we all know about the famed PSS file that supposely works..and as Ive seen with my own eyes..on one PS2, it absolutely did not work..and on the other PS2, it work for 5-10 mins then crapped out...so no bubbles burst here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-10-17 04:43:28, Gav wrote:

I do not wish to burst anyones bubble, but u can play VCD's on a PS2.
    You need to dowload some software, which rips VCD/AVI into PS2 movie format. But the thing is, it is not worth doing as it only enables 10-15 mins of film to be recorded onto one disc, due to the size of the conversion between avi <-> PS2 movie format, hence you would need roughly 6 cd's for one film .
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

I hate to burst your bubble, but if you are converting them to PS2 video then they arent VCDs are they.
    Quote Quote  
  12. *lol* .... it took me a whole day to get "all" the software which lets you play your converted mpeg2 files on the ps2. like a few others have said it will only play "x" amount of mins at the moment and it's not perfect either (probably something I have done wrong though) but until some clever person finds a way of making mpeg1 (which I have read will work), divx, etc, play on it then we will have to wait ! .. I personally wanted this software for my own projects and amusement, I now have the progs but require the "pss.mcf" template for tmpgenc which I am still looking for coz there's a hell of allot of dead links out there ! and I am sure this will help me convert my mpeg2 files properly as I am making them myself at the moment and I'm a bit of a newbie. with the new dvdr revolution taking off now though I don't really see much point in vcd myself ! why make a vcd/svcd/xscvd spread across 2/3 discs when you can put your film/films on a dvdr and make that boot up as a vcd (there's always a way) ? not sure how it'll work coz I don't own one yet but I think this is the way forward !

zaa™

Quote Quote  
  13. Firstly, if you had a DVD-R/W drive, you would be making DVDs, not "X/S/VCD on a DVD-R".

Thus, you wouldn't need any software to boot up as PS2s can play DVDs straight out of the box.

Secondly, the "DVD-R revolution" is a LONG way from being affordable -- thus the point of S/VCD authoring.

@Yeshi: adam's already answered this, but I'm just clarifying a point you raised. The commonly available PSX VCD adapter (which plugs into the parallel port) can only be used by those models which (obviously) have a parallel port. This excludes the PS One and the SCPH-900x series of PSX.

However, there is another adapter that you can get that allows you to play VCDs even on those two models. However, it requires you to do some soldering on the PCB.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  14. Well since were talking about ps2, follow the link to see the new mod chip for the ps2. Unfortunatly it does require a few solder points....32 i've been told.

http://www.hexcorp.com/
    Quote Quote  
  15. The Dreamcast can NOW play gorgeous Video CD's - I bought the player from http://www.playthegames.com for $35 - you can also get it from http://www.lik-sang.com for $30 w/ overseas shipping. It comes with a remote, IR reciever and a software disc, and works great. It also plays MP3's. You can now get a DC at Target brand new for $55. Plus with all the emulation of classic consoles ( NES, SNES, Master system, etc. ) it's more than worth it. Check out http://www.dcemulation.com for homebrew DC info......
    Quote Quote