VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Haven't been on this forum in a while. I have made over 100 VCD's but I have also another project which I would like to get some suggestions on. I have several peices of large DV .avi files that I would like to keep in order to go back later to edit & still maintain high quality. I thought of converting them to DVD w/TMPGEnc and then if re-edit needed, convert with DVD2AVI. Looks okay but does suffer some quality loss. What is the best (low cost) solution does anyone suggest? (i.e. several HDD's, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW etc.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I assumed you want no quality loss. There are two ways:

1) if you have a digital camcorder, you can record those DV AVI to DV tapes. The only problem is it take times to output and recapture them (transfer rate about 3.6 MB/sec)

2) use backup tape cardtrige (DLT for example), this is more expensive but the speed is wonderful (not limited to 1X real play time as with DV camcorder)

ktnwin - PATIENCE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks ktnwin. I had not considered tape drives. I think eBay about $200-$400 for large storage. I have been considering DVD-RW. Does anyone have any experience with this? (storing mpeg2, mpeg1 and VCD). HP just announced a new DVD-RW drive and I am thinking (hoping)the price should go down soon (around $600 now).
    Quote Quote