VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I bought a 10 pack of DVDs from walmart. So far 3 of them have coastered. 3 have worked. Im thinking of returning them but of the 3 I have used I have used to back up a few movies. Dont really feel comforable returning boarderline illegal backups. Sure I think that its legal to backup copies of your own movies. Which they are. Im not sure if the letter of the law makes it legal. Is there anyway to destroy a DVD using software? Reburn it to destroy it. If that makes sense. I doubt there is. Maybe I should just replace the 3 used ones with 3 other blank DVDs. They are the same general brand. Memrex though not the exact same. Maybe I should just cut the lose and hope the next 4 work well. 70% is not such a bad ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't risk returning blank DVDs with some movies burned on there "illegally". You just never know what would happen if they did want to "make an example" of you. Just take the loss and move on, but saving yourself a couple of bucks at the risk of getting in trouble for piracy is not worth it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by K(c)offee
    Dont really feel comforable returning boarderline illegal backups. Sure I think that its legal to backup copies of your own movies. Which they are. Im not sure if the letter of the law makes it legal.
    No such thing as borderline illegal. Either it is or it isn't. If they're really your movies, then you're clear...

...but if you plan to return used DVDs to Wal-Mart and tell the employee that it's okay because they're "legal backups" then please tell me when and where you're going to do it. That's something I'd seriously like to see up close.

(and all kidding aside, unless you can prove that the media is defective, which you aren't so don't even try it, I can't imagine them even considering letting you return them.)

Is there anyway to destroy a DVD using software?
    Copy "Gigli" to it.

Maybe I should just replace the 3 used ones with 3 other blank DVDs. They are the same general brand.
    And risk getting the cops called for fraud? Don't. It's not worth it.

Maybe I should just cut the lose and hope the next 4 work well. 70% is not such a bad ratio.
    And don't forget that it might not be the media. There could be other reasons your burns are screwing up.
    Fight spammers ghetto kung-fu style! Join the Unsolicited Commandos! or the Spam Vampires!
    Quote Quote