VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    If you can't get DVD2OneX to process the output from Hades (as it seems to be an issue of improper mastering of that particular DVD release), you might try Hades in 'Main Title' mode instead of 'Whole DVD', if the main title alone is small enough to fit on DVD-R. If this is an episodic DVD (as in a DVD full of episodes in different titles), 'Main Title' mode probably won't work, however, and you might just have to figure out a way to split the episodes onto 2 DVD-R discs manually.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Due to the fact this was a popular topic and a rolling one at that
    I clipped the comments that got this topic locked.

The topic is back open and ready for discussion!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hades 032 does not detect a mounted DVD on my imac with the superdrive. Neither the DVD nor the path to the application has any spaces, when I try "mount", I get

Applescript error
    sh: line 1: diskutil: command not found (127)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whoa . . . Did you do a custom MacOS X install, unchecking the BSD subsystem or something? What version of MacOS X you running? You should definitely have diskutil installed on an OS X machine, no idea why you don't . . .
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I partitioned my hard drive when I bought the Mac and had to reinstall Jaguar first in oder to make the Panther upgrade work. I do not recall doing something specific except the X11 System and the MAC OSX Xcode Tools, which I installed . I have a native Apple application called Disk Utilities (that does partitioning and burn images).

Is there a way to ckeck if "diskutils" are installed? Can I install them without reinstalling the whole OS?
    I know, a lot of questions, but I guess these are the stumbling blocks if you switch your OS out of the windows world.

By the way, all other applications, including burning DVD work fine.

I appreciate your help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    type 'diskutil' without the quotes into the terminal. If you get an error, you don't have diskutil installed.
    If it isn't broken, take it apart and find out why.
    blog: deadsierra
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also, you can launch the terminal, and type the following line:
    Code:
    ls /usr/sbin
    That will list the contents of the sbin folder, in the usr folder of your root directory. See if the tool 'diskutil' is listed there. If not, I'd be interested in seeing what else you're missing from there, so it would be nice if you could post a list or picture of the list here, but only if you're actually missing diskutil.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I type diskutil in terminal, I get the following output about how to use the command.

Disk Utility Tool ?2002-2003, Apple Computer, Inc.
    Utility to manage disks and volumes.
    Most options require root access to the device

Usage: diskutil <verb> <options>
    <verb> is one of the following:
    list (List the partitions of a disk)
    and so on...

That seems pretty normal to me.

When I type ls /usr/sbin under an Administrator account, I get a list of commands including diskutil.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm more impressed by Hades each day. My "Apocalypse Now Redux" DVD is pretty scratched up and there are sections that don't play well in any DVD player. I ripped it with Hades, which had no issues even with the problematic sections. I then compressed with DVD2oneX and burned to DVD. The end result looks just as good as the original and has none of the glitches of the original! Sweet...

By the way, I was using Hades under 10.2.8 and recently upgraded to Panther 10.3.2. No issues with Hades (wish I could say the same for my printer).
    :: rockinsage ::
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rockinsage
    (wish I could say the same for my printer).
    Man i remember that!
    What type of printer do you have? *most* have 10.3 drivers out now... just wondering
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by siriuslink
    Any ideas? Thanks for your help
    Well, it looks like you have diskutil installed correctly; I have no idea why Hades would fail like that. Maybe diskutil failed to unmount your DVD because some other application was holding the DVD hostage. Try quitting any other DVD apps that might prevent you from unmounting the DVD, such as DVD Player, other DVD rippers, Toast, or any software that makes direct use of the DVD. Let me know if this doesn't work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rockinsage
    I'm more impressed by Hades each day. My "Apocalypse Now Redux" DVD is pretty scratched up and there are sections that don't play well in any DVD player. I ripped it with Hades, which had no issues even with the problematic sections. I then compressed with DVD2oneX and burned to DVD. The end result looks just as good as the original and has none of the glitches of the original! Sweet...
    As much as we'd like to, we can't take any credit for that. The underlying 'dvdbackup' (and libdvdread and libdvdcss) software really deserves the credit, so you can drop by the DVD-Create project site, and drop the developers a note on their mailing list or something. You might not get a response though, as the developers have been inactive for more than a year (so it seems). There is some encouraging news, in that geezerbuttz, a kind soul from Geneva, Switzerland whom I met on another forum (see 'dvdbackup progress' thread), has been hard at work improving dvdbackup, and making a new interface for it in Cocoa, possibly replacing Hades altogether. He's also releasing all his code, including that for the interface he's making. Should the new app turn out to be better than Hades (which is very likely, considering Hades is build with AppleScript Studio), development of Hades will cease, as we need two interfaces for dvdbackup about as much as I need a spare 3rd testicle. There might be some big news regarding this within a week, if everything goes as planned.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hey! Don't be knocking 3rd testicles ... they come in damn useful ... :P
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried everything Hades does not see my DVD
    I would like to unmount and mount the DVD manually in Terminal but I do not know how.

I am running out of ideas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unmounting in the terminal will do nothing to make Hades work. I think it's a different problem if Hades isn't even detecting the DVD. Give me as much information about this DVD as possible, including the DVD's name, the contents of its root directory, the region and edition, and any other information you might think worthy of note (like anything special about that particular DVD). Also, is it just a particular DVD, or does this go for all DVDs you've tried? As a last resort, you can always run dvdbackup manually in the terminal. See my original 'dvdbackup' thread for a link to the compiled binary executable. You will need some experience with the terminal, and there are instructions in the OS X Readme included with dvdbackup. Else, we can try to see what might be causing this.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    Unmounting in the terminal will do nothing to make Hades work. I think it's a different problem if Hades isn't even detecting the DVD. Give me as much information about this DVD as possible, including the DVD's name, the contents of its root directory, the region and edition, and any other information you might think worthy of note (like anything special about that particular DVD). Also, is it just a particular DVD, or does this go for all DVDs you've tried?.
    It does this with all DVDs I tried. My DVD is a
    PIONEER
    DVD-RW DVD-106D
    Firmware: A606
    RPC-2 (region locked)
    When I start Hades, the program scannes for mounted DVD, I tit OK and the program window opens with no DVDs mounted.

Where is the dvds root directory?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The root is the base directory, as in the drive's main directory. Typical contents are VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. But if it's with all DVDs, then there's some other problem. There is going to be another program out very soon that might fix this problem for you.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. My DVD root directory shows the audio and video-ts folder properly.

I will try the new version as soon as it will be available.

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got

Error reading MENU VOB
    Mirror of Title set 1 failed
    Mirror of DVD failed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hades is dead, you should be using MacTheRipper (MTR). If it has the same problem, try using DVDBackup, OSEx or YadeX instead. We would need much more info (on the DVD and your system) to actually be able to do anything about it. If MTR has the same issue, then post some info to the MTR threads.
    Quote Quote