VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by willrob
    Or they think it's taking longer because they have the sound turned off and don't hear the "completed" tone.
    william
    Not me, read my posting again

So an hour+ later, it beeps, tells me its done, and I check the
    folder, now here is a side by side of both the output
    ( on the left0 and the original disk ( on the right):
    Not my fault that it Hades takes so long, I'm following the instructions,
    I wait for the chime telling me its done ( an hour and 10 minutes later)
    which I could have done 2 DVDBackup rips of two 7.0 GB DVDs
    in that same time frame.

I'd like to SINCERLEY know why it takes so long, and why it sucks
    wind like a fat kid in the boston marathon, as opposed to being lean
    and fast like ffmpegx. Both are gui wrappers for terminal processes,
    both utilize a set of Unix libraries, and both should smoke @$$
    on a dual G4. ffmpegx does, Hades does not.
    Why? Can it be Fixed? Can you call or ask for help from someone
    that knows more than you to make it work or why it doesn't?
    I'd like to throw my hands up and say " THis IS a killa app".
    but at this stage all I can say is " you'll get it next year kid."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by terryj
    ...It takes half this amount of time using DVD Backup!
    Funny, I don't remember taking DVDBackup from you. If you're so happy with this, then by all means, stick to it. We're merely providing an alternative. Choice is good, especially since, like you say, DVDBackup doesn't work on all DVDs.

And the line :

libdvdread: Elapsed time 0

sat there forever not doing ANYTHING. It would be nice if at the very least, you guys could figre out a way to count down percentages,
    like when using ffmpegx, where even if we got a slow tick
    of

libdvdread: Elapsed Percentage (1%)
    libdvdread: Elapsed Percentage (2%)
    libdvdread: Elapsed Percentage (3%)

that would be better than not knowing anything. Since it made the DVD
    disappear from the desktop, and it for the longest ( 35-40 minutes)
    did not even cause the drive to spin, whir, click, etc. I thought it had locked up or errored out! And why DOES it make the DVD disappear
    from the desktop any way? When it did, even the Hades app window
    said "no disk mounted", and I thought for a minute my SD was hosed!!
    Look, perhaps I haven't made myself clear enough. THERE WILL BE NO PROGRESS INDICATOR. This is not the prettiest Mac app ever made, it's just a tool to do a job if you need to, and it's pretty convenient for me, as I don't have to mess with DVD Player anymore, and it's still faster than OSEx DVD Image mode. To each his own, but this isn't going to be the perfect little Mac app you have hoped for. About the DVD unmounting, the ripping goes a lot faster when you unmount the DVD first. Sometimes, Hades can still be a bit slow, but at least it doesn't give up on some DVDs like DVDBackup and OSEx do. Anyways, Hades will forever have no progress indication, and will always unmount your DVD during processing, so there's no use complaining about it. Either live with it or use something else. libdvdread is accessed by the dvdbackup CLI app we use, and as such, we don't control how it displays.

So an hour+ later, it beeps, tells me its done, and I check the
    folder, now here is a side by side of both the output
    Notice how several of the smaller VOBs vary in size about roughly 2Kb,
    larger than the original files ( see red lines)
    Is there something to worry about here? OR is this caused by
    copying the files to an HFS+ disk?
    That seems like a plausible explanation. As long as it works, I wouldn't worry about it.

I would give it three stars ( out of four) for a beta, but the speed needs to be improved,
    and surely something similar to the percentage count I listed could
    be implemented so as you know SOMETHING is going, so I'll rate
    it a 2.5 stars for now. It does the job, ( and this was a problematic
    disc for DVDBackup, with it not being able to read many of the smaller VOB sets), but it could do the job better.
    The speed is not going to improve from here unless we change underlying tools, and I haven't found a good alternative. If you know of one, please let us know. For now, we're stuck with these capabilities. The percentage thing you mentioned cannot be implemented, unless you want to muck around in dvdbackup's code and change the way it displays progress. Feel free to, it's available online. You can give as many stars as you want, but this isn't VersionTracker, so I couldn't give a flying f**k (sorry to be crude, but it's the truth). As Hades progresses, the best you can hope for is a nicer interface, automatic naming of the output name for most DVDs, and chapter support possibly. There will be no progress indication. It will unmount your DVDs. It will process in the terminal. It will take as long as dvdbackup takes to do its thing. That's all this is, is a front end for dvdbackup, so we can't help it if dvdbackup doesn't have all the features you want, but it's the best thing we could find and get working. Be thankful to have the choice for those DVDs that won't work with the other extractors for OS X, and to not have to bother with DVD Player before ripping each DVD.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by willrob
    Or they think it's taking longer because they have the sound turned off and don't hear the "completed" tone. And if you leave the room and come back, it's hard to know if it's done yet. It's main widow lists what it's doing, but nothing really indicates it's completed. I eventually went to the location for the Video_ts folder and looked and found it was there.
    william
    You know it's done when the terminal displays a prompt, and your DVD is mounted again.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not my fault that it Hades takes so long, I'm following the instructions,
    I wait for the chime telling me its done ( an hour and 10 minutes later)
    which I could have done 2 DVDBackup rips of two 7.0 GB DVDs
    in that same time frame.

I'd like to SINCERLEY know why it takes so long, and why it sucks
    wind like a fat kid in the boston marathon, as opposed to being lean
    and fast like ffmpegx. Both are gui wrappers for terminal processes,
    both utilize a set of Unix libraries, and both should smoke @$$
    on a dual G4. ffmpegx does, Hades does not.
    Why? Can it be Fixed? Can you call or ask for help from someone
    that knows more than you to make it work or why it doesn't?
    I'd like to throw my hands up and say " THis IS a killa app".
    but at this stage all I can say is " you'll get it next year kid."
    You know what, I've got the solution for you, and it's right here. Now stop bothering me. If you need Hades, use it, if not, then be happy with what you've been using this whole time. I don't wanna hear about how long it takes, though, because that's out of our hands. Drawing a line between ffmpegx + ffmpeg is quite spurious because ffmpeg is a library that has new builds DAILY, major has NOTHING to do with improving the core of the program, he just makes a gui to make all our lives easier. you clearly lack the understanding necessary to why things work as they do between applescript studio gui's and the unix command line tools they access, dvdbackup source on the other hand is NOT updated on a regular basis and hades is limited to the improvement of its core applications. So, if you want a faster Hades, go ahead and contribute to the dvdbackup source, and make it the lightning-fast ripper of your dreams.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    You know what, I've got the solution for you, and it's right here. Now stop bothering me. If you need Hades, use it, if not, then be happy with what you've been using this whole time. I don't wanna hear about how long it takes, though, because that's out of our hands.
    "Wiseweasel" I totaly agree with you.
    For me "hades" just works fine under Panther, and could do some DVDs rip that "DVDBackup" could no more not realise.

Thanks a lot, for this application, even if it don't get any progress bar.

I love you and the "anonymous" developper.

Now, i'm just waiting for a new DVD2one update working without any trouble under Panther.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    You know what, I've got the solution for you, and it's right here. Now stop bothering me. If you need Hades, use it, if not, then be happy with what you've been using this whole time.
    geez, wease, get a woman or something.

you posted a program that you stated would be better
    than the rippers currently available.
    You posted it and asked for feedback of said program.
    Some posted instant gratification feedback pat on the backs, "Hey Awesome! Woo-Hoo.".
    Some only shook your hand and said "nice effort, I have some problems
    with it, here they are can you help with it?"
    I am one of those people.

Shake your hand sure:

the fact that it lets you bypass DVDBackup is a plus
    but not happily blow your *trumpet* or whatever.

If you can't take a little honest feedback and criticism about the program, don't post it. This isn't the Suck Weasel's C*ck Message Boards,
    this is the dvdrhelp forum, and if you are going to put something out there, be man/woman enough to realize not everybody is going to pat your back, because it may not work like everyone expects or needs it to be, people have problems with it in their particular setup, and you should
    be helpful with those people.

You (or your silent partner) fixed the "No Spaces in the DVD" bug, which both tgpo and I pointed out yesterday. Great. I pointed out more
    suggestions, yes I repeated ONE that like seven people also pointed
    out, and we get it, THERE WILL BE NO PROGRESS BAR. But, it could
    definitely, like it or not, use a speed boost. Perhaps its my setup, perhaps
    its your app, but an attitude like yours isn't gonna help either of us
    enjoy your effort.

you clearly lack the understanding necessary to why things work as they do between applescript studio gui's and the unix command line tools they access,
    That may be, and I clearly acknowledge that. I also asked for help,
    not snide childish rants from a spoiled child who didn't get enough breast
    milk as a baby, as to why this is.
    Perhaps if you would take the time to enlighten me as to:

1. Why it is that this particular line tools in Unix are slower in processing
    than [other tools I have seen or used], then I can perhaps
    [in affect look at my particular setup] and make [the necessary
    adjustments to increase, even slightly] the speed in which they
    do their job [provided it can be affected by me]?

then I for one, can thus accordingly decide for myself if the tool
    is OVERALL worth using in replacement of DVDBackup, which I would like to do, or to use it in ADDITION to DVDbackup, for those times
    when DVDBackup doesn't work, which in THIS reality, is all
    that is all that is needed, period.
    seem fair?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I were a software developer, or the friend of an anonymous software developer, I wouldn't be bothered to acknowledge people who gripe about something that is (a) free, and (b) their choice to use or not use. First people complain when theres nothing, then they complain with it costs five dollars, then they complain when it doesnt look the way the want it to look, then they complain when it doesnt do what they feel it should do.

If you want the world the way you want it, go develop your own tools. If you're going to sit on your ass and rely on developers who risk major lawsuits from global entertainment companies, the least you can do is say "Thank you for the effort."

Then shut up and try not to be such a bitch this year.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM

then I for one, can thus accordingly decide for myself if the tool
    is OVERALL worth using in replacement of DVDBackup, which I would like to do, or to use it in ADDITION to DVDbackup, for those times
    when DVDBackup doesn't work...
    After reading all the posts in this thread, and using both programs, you still don't have enough information to make that decision?

The author(s) appear to be adding a GUI to "off-the-shelf" command-line code. I would not expect the author(s) to be able to supply any "tweaks" to the underlying code. But, thats just me.

Mike
    "Dare to be Stupid!" - Wierd Al Yankovic
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you posted a program that you stated would be better
    than the rippers currently available.
    You posted it and asked for feedback of said program.
    Some only shook your hand and said "nice effort, I have some problems
    with it, here they are can you help with it?"
    I am one of those people.
    I didn't say anything about it being "better". I didn't hear of any problems, just complaints I can't do anything about. What I want is bug reports, not feature requests. We've already established which features can and cannot be a part of Hades, and some people just won't drop it.

(some more stupid shit I won't respond to)
    OK, that's it, your free license has been revoked. You are no longer entitled to use this application. So, this means that if you choose to still use it, you are doing so illegally, and I will ignore any of your comments about it. It's not a question of maturity or kindness, but of reality and my patience. Bug feedback is greatly appreciated, and I thank you for submitting the feedback on the space bug, as that is our fault. Progress indicators and speed of execution are limited by the tools we based Hades on, and are out of our control, and so I do not want to hear reports on these issues if they've already been addressed. You'll find, in life, that you get further by being courteous and respectful. While I know this, it's unfortunately necessary to put some people back in their place, when they expect me to solve all their problems for free. I never said Hades is "better" than any other tool, but merely an alternative. If you don't like it in it's current early beta stage, I understand that, and welcome you to continue doing whatever you've been doing up until now. I still want any bug reports people are having with Hades, but the progress indicator and speed issues HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED! There is nothing more to do about those, so drop it. If you find a better solution with open-sourced software, then please enlighten us all.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hey WiseWeasel, I tried Hades yesterday on a dvd that DvdBackup and OSex couldn't rip and Hades ripped it successfully. Thanks a lot. The disc was 4.07g and it took about 55 minutes to rip. I'm running 10.3.2. Keep up the good work, it's great for a beta!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    see, terryj, its like this .. a bug is something like i reported right off the bat, something i didnt even think was a "bug" but just a unix -ism, that hades ignored mounted dvd's that had spaces in their titles .. a bug that got fixed literally between the time i logged in that morning and by the time i sat down to lunch the same day ...

asking for things like progress bars that the cli and the gui do not aim to do, is whats unreasonable and is not a bug at all. If it was never meant to be a part of the application how can it be a bug?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't hear of any problems, just complaints I can't do anything about. What I want is bug reports, not feature requests. We've already established which features can and cannot be a part of Hades, and some people just won't drop it.
    I have already dropped the Timer/Progress bar issue, if you would look
    at what I said.

yes I repeated ONE that like seven people also pointed
    out, and we get it, THERE WILL BE NO PROGRESS BAR

(snip rant about revoking a free license to patently illegal software, which is ludicrious in and of itself)

speed of execution are limited by the tools we based Hades on, and are out of our control
    Thank you Weasel, for finally answering my question in regards to this.
    My question:

1. Why it is that this particular line tools in Unix are slower in processing than [other tools I have seen or used], then I can perhaps
    [in affect look at my particular setup] and make [the necessary
    adjustments to increase, even slightly] the speed in which they
    do their job [provided it can be affected by me]?
    has now been answered, and I now know that my setup is not at fault,
    and that there is nothing I can do to tweak its speed on my end.

I never said Hades is "better" than any other tool, but merely an alternative.
    true, I re-read your post in "DVD Backup disappointment" again throughly. I apologize.

If you don't like it in it's current early beta stage, I understand that, and welcome you to continue doing whatever you've been doing up until now. I still want any bug reports people are having with Hades, but the progress indicator and speed issues HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED! There is nothing more to do about those, so drop it.
    again, see above, and noted I now understand the issues about speed, which I need clarification on and now have gotten.
    I have stated throughout that I have thought this was a good beta release, and that with some improvements, it would be a first class app.
    Honest criticism.

NO bitching about costs, or that it is free, or their choice to use or not
    to use, which ANTNY if you could read and comprehend, you would have seen that, instead of throwing out the ol' "woe is the Shareware developer" rant I've seen on Versiontracker ad infintium.

Just straight and honest feedback on what I thought of the app,
    what things I noticed could improve said app, and in comparing it
    with its peers, what minor tweaks it could use to surpass those apps
    as the number one ripping app on the Mac. I never said
    I was going to create something better, nor did or do I want to.

I gave props were props is due, and thanked Wise for making an app that bypasses DVD Player and handles hard to pass DVDs.
    in case you missed it ANTNY;

the fact that it lets you bypass DVDBackup is a plus
    A praise for what it does well.

and
    It does the job, ( and this was a problematic
    disc for DVDBackup, with it not being able to read many of the smaller VOB sets)
    A praise for doing something its peer in the marketplace cannot do well,
    which I consider a plus.

I'm sorry Wise, I thought that if you recieved honest criticism, feedback,
    a complete report of HOW a user using this software might have
    questions or problems not understanding how it is working
    ( the disappearing DVD, the stalling of the app, the overall time
    it takes to rip in comparison to its peers already in place that many newbies and not so newbies were used to), seen through the eyes
    of a not so experienced end user, and
    apply those to making the software more user friendly ( READ: KISS),
    and thus AVOID the "constant headaches of the software developer
    answering repeated questions [ibid]", that this would in someway
    help as a CONTRIBUTION to making HADES a better product overall,
    than it is currently, so that it would stand up as a "viable" ( my word)
    alternative to its peers in the marketplace, but that was not your intention.

For that I apologize.

I understand now that you are simply offering something, potentially patently illegal in the USA, and that more or less offered as an alternative, yet not a competing, viable alternative, with or to OSEX or
    DVDBackup. Enough said, I got it, Putting a period on it and moving on.
    in and of itself for that, I thank you for your efforts.

Now I have another general question, DIRECTED TO NO ONE IN PARTICULAR, but if someone feels so inclined to answer please do so:

In using Hades and backing up the Hulk, it gives the following error in
    Terminal:

Error writing TITLE VOB
    Mirror of Title set 4 faild
    Mirror of DVD faild
    Volume /dev/disk3 mounted at /Volumes/THE_HULK
    ## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (regR/carP/x!bt)

The folder is incomplete, only three VOB sets, and the IFO for Set 4.

My question, being as I am terminal and unix illiterate,and rightfully
    admidt so,
    what is the purpose of the last line?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry Wise, I thought that if you recieved honest criticism, feedback, a complete report of HOW a user using this software might have questions or problems not understanding how it is working
    ( the disappearing DVD, the stalling of the app, the overall time
    it takes to rip in comparison to its peers already in place that many newbies and not so newbies were used to), seen through the eyes
    of a not so experienced end user, and apply those to making the software more user friendly ( READ: KISS),and thus AVOID the "constant headaches of the software developer answering repeated questions [ibid]", that this would in someway help as a CONTRIBUTION to making HADES a better product overall, than it is currently, so that it would stand up as a "viable" ( my word) alternative to its peers in the marketplace, but that was not your intention.
    Feedback, fine; dicketry, take it somewhere else. Of course we want to make Hades as simple as possible, and appreciate ALL feedback on Hades usage. There's also a point where the same criticism is made over and over, especially when it has already been addressed, and it just becomes detrimental to the effort of finding legitimate issues, drowning them in useless whining (that's what it sounded like to me, re-read your first comments and put yourself in my place). There are just certain Mac-isms we take for granted in our applications that are not going to happen with Hades due to the tools it relies on, and so it will not be ideal for computer illiterate users, ever. That's fine, and we're ok with a limited market, especially since it's a free app, and there's no incentive for us to continue it beyond our desire to help the Mac video community.

In using Hades and backing up the Hulk, it gives the following error in
    Terminal:

Error writing TITLE VOB
    Mirror of Title set 4 faild
    Mirror of DVD faild
    Volume /dev/disk3 mounted at /Volumes/THE_HULK
    ## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (regR/carP/x!bt)

The folder is incomplete, only three VOB sets, and the IFO for Set 4.

My question, being as I am terminal and unix illiterate,and rightfully
    admidt so,
    what is the purpose of the last line?
    See, I knew you could do it. There's a real bug report. Yeah, we've been alerted to this problem, and have no idea how to fix it for now. It seems that releases from certain publishers make Hades do this. Please give as much info on the copy of the Hulk you have (edition, region, publisher, etc.) and we'll try to work this one out. For now, it's got us stumped. Our only solution is to use DVDBackup or OSEx for these DVDs for now. For coming back on topic, what the hell, I'll give you a free license to Hades again, so you can discuss it here without it being warez-related.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Please give as much info on the copy of the Hulk you have (edition, region, publisher, etc.) and we'll try to work this one out. For now, it's got us stumped. Our only solution is to use DVDBackup or OSEx for these DVDs for now.
    Region 1, Widescreen Special Edition, by Universal, a PVT purchased from Movie Gallery locally. Attempted a rip on Disc one ( in Full disc mode), 7.78GB, VIDEO_TS folder on disc contains 37 items, seven video sets total.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Wow, what a bunch of snivelers! Weasel, MUCH THANKS FOR YOUR EFFORTS! With no updates for DVDBackup, your friend and you have obviously put in a bunch of effort to make something that will one day be better than what we can use now. Is it perfect? Most likely not. BUT, I look at the really important issues, it's free, and you're really trying your damndest to make something good for people to help them out!!!! To all ingrates and complainers: PISS OFF! Weasel has been around for ages helping all of us out here (along with Galactica, tgpo, and the rest) and when he submits a project that can really help us out, he gets rewarded with a bunch of bitching? If he was advertising it as version 2.6, I might see it, but jeez, it's .3.2! give 'em a chance to make it great and don't whine if your FREE SOFTWARE isn't PERFECT! You don't like it? Don't use it, hell, go buy a PC and buy some crap program for that at 59.00 a copy.....I'll just say thanks for someone trying to help out the mac community!
    THANKS WEASEL!!!!! GREAT JOB!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Anonymous Author(s):

Nice job. Thanks for making this available to the Mac public.

Wise:

Dude, you deserve kudos for being the front man on this.

I just did a test backup of Apocalypse Now (Redux). Took exactly 29 minutes on my MDD dual-867, OS 10.2.8. Worked like a charm.

I have no complaints, only a question: During the "scanning for DVD's" phase, it seems to take an inordinate amount of time. Actually, I eventually just hit "OK" because I thought the app had frozen. I let it go for around 10 minutes before hitting "OK". After that, the options window did come up, and it was showing the DVD path/name properly. Is this normal behavior? I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have both a Combo and a aftermarket Superdrive installed. The DVD was loaded in the Combo drive at the time.

Again, great work.
    :: rockinsage ::
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On the DVDs I've done when it came up with the scanning window I just click the OK button. I didn't wait at all. It worked fine with the movie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wiseweasel and friend

so i have been running down the options avaliable to see what all they do and how they work....

INFO

I ran this on a commerical dvd of mine.

Code:
    Welcome to Darwin!
    commons10k2:~ galactica$ /Users/galactica/Desktop/Hades/Hades.app//Contents/Resources/dvdbackup -i /dev/rdisk2 -I
    libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.8 for DVD access

libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
    libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient

libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x000002a0
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x000034e0
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x0000ac40
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_0.VOB at 0x001c5c80
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x001c5ca0
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_0.VOB at 0x00380b20
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB at 0x00380b40
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_0.VOB at 0x0038cd60
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB at 0x0038cd80
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_0.VOB at 0x00394ae0
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB at 0x00394b00
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_0.VOB at 0x0039ed20
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB at 0x0039ed40
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_07_0.VOB at 0x003a75a0
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_07_1.VOB at 0x003a75c0
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_08_0.VOB at 0x003b3e00
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_08_1.VOB at 0x003b3ec0
    libdvdread: Found 8 VTS's
    Bus error
    commons10k2:~ galactica$
    BUS ERROR

What the heck is this................

So for kicks i ran the WHOLE DVD option, worked fine.
    The video_ts plays everything looks great.

what exactly is this INFO supposed to do!?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rockinsage
    I have ... a question: During the "scanning for DVD's" phase, it seems to take an inordinate amount of time. Actually, I eventually just hit "OK" because I thought the app had frozen. I let it go for around 10 minutes before hitting "OK". After that, the options window did come up, and it was showing the DVD path/name properly. Is this normal behavior?
    Yeah, it's normal. It doesn't actually start scanning for DVDs until you hit the 'OK' button. That first dialog window is completely useless, and I think we'll probably get rid of it eventually.
    Originally Posted by galactica
    BUS ERROR

What the heck is this................

So for kicks i ran the WHOLE DVD option, worked fine.
    The video_ts plays everything looks great.

what exactly is this INFO supposed to do!?
    That's odd. The info option just lists info about the DVD, like number of titles, chapters in each title, etc. It's not too useful for users (we use it to determine how to extract titles from DVDs with Hades). If you're knowledgeable about unix at all, you can dig into the Hades app package and launch the dvdbackup executable in the terminal, and it will list the options you can use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so does bus error tell you anything?!

just curious is all, doesnt seem to effect anything since all the rips work so far!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't tell me anything, but maybe the developer can make something of it, but I doubt it. Hard to make heads or tails out of it without a lot more info, and even then, the error is pretty vague. Does the 'info' option work on other DVDs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    must be something related to that disk
    what are the chances the one i pick to test it is the one with the prob!

hahahah no matter
    5 other disks and they all give me a load of info.

8)
    Quote Quote  
  23. Wise Weasel & (unknown) Developer: Thank you For Creating a GUI Wrapper For the dvdbackup Library. Hades is NOW My Default Ripper. I think it's as Fast as The Other 2 Rippers - And I'm TOTALLY OK with No Progress Bar. What Counts for ME is that Hades CAN Rip DVDs I've Bought that The "Other Two" Rippers Couldn't Handle ! Thank You Again: GREAT Work, Sea Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  24. >>> WiseWeasel & Co.
    ...Welcome to the "wonderfull world" of developing and support...

Now my "2 cents" on errors...

"## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (regR/carP/x!bt)" error pops up when some UNIX binaries trying to access to some QuickTime codecs /like MPEG2 component for instance/...Binary needs help from QT codec to read /decode/ file properly...

"BUS" error is error in drive reading...

I hope this will be helpfull to You and Your buddy...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice, thanks Serbian! Yeah, (s)he (developer X) had encountered that component manager problem before when making a little tool that accessed the QT API, but it's got us stumped here, since we don't touch anything related to QT with Hades. What's more, it seems to be related to DVDs by certain publishers and not others, which is truly baffling, if it has something to do with QT. It's a doozie. dvdbackup seemed to work so well, it would have been a shame to NOT write an interface for it, since it was easy to get running in MacOS X (except for that blasted component manager thing). I've posted my compiled version of dvdbackup, along with instructions on usage and compilation, including static linking to libdvdread and libdvdcss in another thread, and people are more than welcome to see if the command line app gives the same errors, and if anyone has any C knowledge, they might even be able to see what's causing it, as dvdbackup is pretty tightly written and well laid out. My guess is the problem is coming from libdvdread or libdvdcss, but it's tough to say for sure. Anyways, I (and developer X) appreciate your support.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Hades handles the infamous Matrix DVD just fine. Though I have a PAL, region 2 version, I got the same problems with DVD Backup and OSEx that people spoke of, I believe. But Hades had no problems. What's more, it did from my region 1 drive.

Should mention that first I tried Main Feature only, which ripped normally and then gave me a VIDEO_TS folder, but I got an error when I tried to open it with the Apple DVD player (no valid media file). So I tried again to copy the whole disc and then everything came out fine.
    Quote Quote  
  27. >>>Wise & Friends..

As soon as I find some spare time Ill check the C code..If I find something, Ill let You know for sure...

Also, I forgot to mention, KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK and MUCHO THANX for NICE and VERY usefull GUI...
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wiseweasel...

did you ever get Hades to back-up Six Feet Under Disc 3?? just curious.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have that DVD, so I can't try. Hades doesn't work on all DVDs, though, and try DVDBackup or OSEx, or even DVDExtractor 0.9b for MacOS 9 should Hades fail.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I was able to rip Six Feet Under 3 with DVDBackup with no problems but I was unable to size it down with DVD2OneX. Kept stopping at the same point so I always thought the disk was corrupted (there was, in fact, a little stutter in the episode at the point where the encoding stopped). I'm overseas at the moment so I don't have the original to try with Hades. I'd be interested to know if the results are any different.
    Quote Quote