VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What 'free' software do I use to convert an SVCD (MPEG2) to MPEG1?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Flaskmpeg is one. I suggest you get yourself TMPGenc at some point. It's free for 30 days at least.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have TMPGenc... But I don't know how to convert SVCD to MPEG with it.
    (By that I mean MPEG2 to MPEG1, I believe)

I will download flask...

What I'm trying to do is to create a dvd built from serveral mpg files
    (2 of which are svcd (mpeg2?)) and 2 avi files.

Nero Vision Express is complaining about mpeg 2 licencing so I thought I would convert them to mpeg1....

Still thought even without the to svcd files I get an error message
    Unable to prepare data for recording: Prepare session failed:
    Transcoding of videos failed.

Maybe this is due to the avi files?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should definitely use TMPGenc instead.

1. Open it up and cancel the progject wizard if it pops up. Then towards the bottom of the screen where is it says "Video Source" click "Browse" and find your SVCD mpeg.

2. Now click the "Load" button on the bottom right of the screen and select the file named "VideoCD (NTSC).mcf"(I'm assuming you live in North America, by the way). It's in the TMPGenc program directory if the file browser doesn't automaticaly start there(which it should).

3. Now just hit "Start" at the top of the screen to begin the conversion.

That's it, enjoy your new file. Post back if you have any problems, ok?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok I'll give it a shot with TMPGenc.
    Thanks for the instructions....

I guess if I'm going to DVD I probably would have been better off converting the avi and mpeg1 files to mpeg2, but then Nero Vision Express would still complain about mpeg 2 licencing... I understand you can purchase a coded from nero, but is there a free codec that nero can use to transcode to mpeg2? Like a Directshow coded?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, there isn't a free codec that Nero can use. However most people here will tell you to avoid encoding with Nero like the plague. Stick with TMPGenc templates for VCD, SVCD, and DVD until you learn more about encoding. When you burn with Nero, as long as you select the correct disc type for the kind of mpeg you have (i.e. VCD, SVCD, or DVD), you shouldn't have to worry about non-compliance errors or it trying to re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes I've been doing abit of reading TMPGenc.
    There appears to be two modules, one for editing and creating DVDs and the other seems to be a transcoder. Are both needed or is the editor stand alone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc is the standalone encoder, and TMPGEnc DVD Author is used for making all the necessary files for DVD such as IFO, VOB etc. and for creating menus. You should be able to take the mpeg you create with TMPGEnc and drop it into the DVD Video burn template in Nero without using a seperate authoring program.
    Quote Quote  
  9. And so I no longer need an MPEG2?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure what you mean, but let me try and clarify. As long as you use the VCD template settings in TMPGEnc you won't need a mpeg-2 plugin for Nero. You came accross the compliance error because your SVCD file does not fit VCD standards so Nero wanted to re-encode.

Should you want to make a DVD you can still use TMPGEnc to create a DVD mpeg(which is mpeg-2) if you have the "Plus" version. as long as you don't want to create any complex menus and chapters you won't need to use a DVD author like DVDLab or TMPGEnc DVD Author. You only need Nero to burn as DVD
    Quote Quote  
  11. There are a number of good reasons NOT to do what you are attempting, and several difficulties which you will encounter. I am not going into an explanation as it is all in the guides and FAQ.

Such as converting resolution, loss of quality due to no support for interlacing, aspect ratio problems, audio sampling rate upconversion, etc., etc., etc.
    Quote Quote  
  12. K.. Don't do it and don't ask why!
    Quote Quote  
  13. The answers are here for you. Repeatedly. If you haven't taken the time to find even a few of them, you are probably going to get frustrated and waste a lot of time.

But by all means, have at it. You can spend quite a bit of time and wasted effort learning the hard way what a little research and reading would teach you in a few hours.
    Quote Quote