VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread

Threaded View

1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks can be deceiving...

it needs a Drive that is capable,,,,Disks that are capable ,,, and software that is capable...

I'll keep my printer and sharpie

From the Prodinfo..

""
    Summary
    LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling is a new technology, invented
    by HP, that enables CD and DVD images and disc labels to be
    etched onto discs using the same drive that is used to burn the
    data. The technology requires three elements to deliver lasting,
    silkscreen-quality labels: 1) a LightScribe-enabled optical disc drive, 2) LightScribecompatible
    media, and 3) LightScribe-supported software applications. HPs intent is to
    create a market standard by licensing LightScribe to manufacturers in the PC and
    consumer electronics markets, including optical disc drive manufacturers, media
    manufacturers, software providers and PC and consumer electronics brands.

""
    Quote Quote  
  2. IS this not a further refinement of the yamaha cdr-f1 that burns onto the unused portion of a CDR, a design ?
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by parsonsj
    I'll keep my printer and sharpie
    Just keep'em for a while... but I think it sounds promising...

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I hate adhesive labels. After picking pieces of one out of my cars CD player for several hours I've been looking for something better that is still cheap enough to make it worth while. I'd love to have a color thermal CD printer, but it's way too expensive.

This only burns in black and white, but it might be interesting. I'd have to see a few real examples before deciding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just turn upside down a DVD, re-insert on the burner and "burn" a Label?
    It is promising if you ask me.
    When 8X DVD DL Recorders became mainstream (let say, 18 months from now?), it could be an excellent labeling technick
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now that's a sharp looking label Cool dude
    Quote Quote  
  7. Very nice, now only if it could do it in colour. Perhaps different colours on a temperature sensitive layer which could be determined by the intensity of the laser.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't buy a new burner just for this, but it would be a nice little added perk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This looks interesting!!

SLICK RICK
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Nobody likes a bunch of yackity-yack.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This looks OK. I have the Yamaha CDRW-F1 with with the DISC T@2 function, and it is really just sort of a gimmick. Beside it's hard to find discs with a dark enough dye.
    We'll be right back after these messages from Binford!
    Quote Quote  
  11. The method of using the burner's laser to create a label is however not a complete new invention as Yamaha accomplished this with the DiscT@2 technology too. But contrary of the DiscT@2 technology the LightScribe technology burns the label on top of the disc and not on the recording side.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It does sound nice.

Probably half my DVDs look as tho' they've been etched, have to kind of tilt them to read them.

Hope they put it on some other drives. Don't think I want an HP.

Can retire the Sharpie, too. Handwriting ain't for beans.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by gmatov
    It does sound nice.
    Can retire the Sharpie, too. Handwriting ain't for beans.
    Cheers,
    George
    Boy, that's the truth....
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  14. does anyone no when this will be out to buy or the price
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does the label take up part of the content?

With the YAMAHA example, you need to limit the data put on the disc and you use space on there not for media but for the LABEL

Is this the same deal..you lose part of the disc capacity to do PRINTING chores?
    Quote Quote  
  16. It looks nice. But if they charge an arm and leg to allow others to implement it on their units and media then its dead before it starts.

Would be nice esp if they could have an erasable label for RW disk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    shouldn't need to limit the data. it's on the other side of the disc.

I don't think it'll be expensive for the burner, just an additional feature. but the media may be slightly overpriced at first.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Knowing HP. They will charge an arm and ledge for the license rights to use it. Wish another company had cooked it up. Oh well!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think that this is really ground breaking technology. There are probably dozens of different ways and types of media that can be used to get the exact same effect.

I don't know much about the way that patents work, but my guess is that they won't come in to play to any great extent.

My predictions again: burners will stay the same in price, software will be readily available for free, media will be slightly higher priced.

time will tell
    Quote Quote  
  20. It depends on the nutty laws covering IP stuff. Since it basically put a layer of dye on the top side and have the laser burn it it may be easy or hard to patent/copywrite it.

I seem to remember a company that offers a laser printer/cutter under 1000 dollars. So the concept of laser art on a disk may be hard to patent like the different under/over burn stuff. Esp since the concept of dye based burnning disk is freely in use by just changing the chemical makeup of the dye.

Be nice if they could do a erasable top for RW disk.... Well I can dream.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Another Image. Looks like the resolution is equal to 1200 Dpi.

RG
    Quote Quote  
  22. There had better be some sort of interlock that forces you to flip the disk. Otherwise, I KNOW what I'll end up doing.

Seriously, looks pretty nice. I did wonder about "compatible media" as mentioned above as well. Suppose it wouldn't be anymore costly than printable disks though.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Stiltman,

When did you see my handwriting? No, I take that back, probably the last time you got a prescription from your doctor. I'm surprised I can read my own. And I don't type all that well, either.

This shouldn't cost all that much. It wouldn't require a second dye layer, like a dual sided.

Just a refocusable laser, instead of focusing to the middel of a 1.2 mm disk, focus on the surface and burn pits in the surface of the plastic itself. It MAY require a second laser, rather than focusing, but they're putting 2 lasers in now, to burn CDs on your DVD burner.

How much can it cost, down the road, when the novelty wears off, and the early adopters have all gotten theirs?

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone besides me missing the obvious?

We need special labeless DVD's that don't play on several players like we need more ring tones for our cell phones that you can't hear who you're talking to.

How about making a disc that'll play on EVERY player? I'll even play extra.
    I mean, how many years ago did they go to the moon?
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    leebo,

Where are you from? You sound like one of our local talk show hosts, with a bunch of cell phonr callers, who has a running diatribe against the phone cameras and the like. Make the goddamned phone work, then give me gingerbread.

Exactly the same as laser printing on the flip side, and the damned thing won't play, before, or after.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vivo en Los Angeles right now.

No, I'm just getting older and am more and more amazed at how the marketing of these "space age" devices centers on things like rings tones and pretty colors and it seems to work (though the devices don't always).
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a little more news on this (week old now):

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,114211,00.asp

HP estimates that a drive that supports the new technology will cost as little as an additional $10, and a disc will cost about a dime more.
    I guess due to the licensing, that pretty much eliminates any possibility of a legal firmware upgrade giving us the ability to use this on our current drives.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't buy a new burner just for this, but it would be a nice little added perk.
    Well, it looks nice. this way you dont need to buy labels or toner cartridges for your printer anymore, it seems very useful for me.
    Quote Quote