VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm fairly new to the whole DVD Shrink thing and read the backup guide completely (although it was only for ver 2.3 and I have beta 3).

My question is, when trying to trim out the un-needed things (i.e. French and Spanish subtitles, etc) I notice there are a few large audio files as well AC3 2-ch English, AC3 6ch English and sometimes and "unknown" one as well. I want to know what they mean and which I can safely omit without making a coaster.

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Play the disk in PowerDVD. Change audio channels and note each one. Track 1 is track 1 is track 1.

Generally speaking you keep the English 5.1 track and that's it(assuming English is your language). Most of the other english tracks are director commentaries. You don't need to keep the 2 channel and 5.1 channel tracks, jsut keep the 5.1 track.

Subtitles are self explanatary.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've found that usually the "extra" audio tracks you refer to are director's
    commentary tracks. As for not making any coasters, the only thing i would suggest would be to play your dvd in your stand-alone home player
    and find out which audio tracks you need and don't need.

Then use shrink to compress your video, then before you burn it, play it on windvd, powerdvd, or whatever you use and see if it plays ok. If the audio is wrong like(like you hear the director talking,when the actor should be) just redo it until you get it right. Then No Coaster
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've found that usually the "extra" audio tracks you refer to are director's
    commentary tracks. As for not making any coasters, the only thing i would suggest would be to play your dvd in your stand-alone home player
    and find out which audio tracks you need and don't need.

Then use shrink to compress your video, then before you burn it, play it on windvd, powerdvd, or whatever you use and see if it plays ok. If the audio is wrong like(like you hear the director talking,when the actor should be) just redo it until you get it right. Then No Coaster
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please delete second post!! did it by accident. Sorry!!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. >Play the disk in PowerDVD. Change audio channels and note each one.

Guess I'm still new at it. I have Power DVD but don't know how to change audio channels.

>You don't need to keep the 2 channel and 5.1 channel tracks, jsut keep >the 5.1 track.

I am assuming AC3 - 2ch is the 2 channel, so is the AC3 - 6ch the 5.1?
    Quote Quote  
  7. PowerDVD: to change audio streams, right click with the mouse anywhere on the movie window and choose Audio Languages. Note you must be playing a movie to see the window.

ps: If you are keeping some or all of any extra's, some might only come in 2 channel, so click on each title to make sure it has at least one audio track checked. To check everything, use dvdshrink's Backup button to copy your new altered movie to a folder called VIDEO_TS. Then open powerDVD, choose open DVD from hard drive and open the VIDEO_TS folder. You can then test the whole movie and use any menus and extras you have kept.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use RW discs if you're worried about making a coaster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes AC3 6ch is 5.1. Just keep that one (the english one if you are english of course) and ditch everything else. You needn't worry about making a coaster, you could uncheck all of the audio tracks and still make a working DVD... just no audio... not very useful, but it's technically not a traditional dvd coaster.
    Quote Quote