VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, here I go again
    First of all, thanks to all of you who have helped me with my other posts.
    Since then I've been doing alot of tests in order to get the best quality out of an AVI file burned on CDr under teh SVCD format. Some things worked out, some didn't.
    In first place, I had the videos stopped every now and then while paying, and someone told me to put the variable bitrate (set at 2450 max.) to 2400 or lower, and the problem was sorted out. My DVD Player (Phillips DVD 951) played the SVCD without stopping at any point.
    OK, that's what I got with your help
    I tried the MPEG-1 (VCD) format, but its quality is too bad for me. I mean, my interest is to put on CD (VCD or SVCD) everything I got on VHS (not original tapes, I mean the ones recorded from TV and so), and after testing the VCD format and the SVCD format, the SVCD has clearly better quality. So the VCD format is dead for me.
    Now I have to find out what are the best settings to have the BEST quality a SVCD can achieve. That's my quest now. I don't care if I can fit only 15 minutes in one single CD. I want the best possible quality.
    To test the SVCD quality, I just captured clips from laserdiscs and DVDs. I have found the image quality NOW isn't as great as it was when I put stuff from VHSs. I guess this is logic, am I right?. I'm just trying to understand the process and limitations of this format.
    SO I captured over a minute of Mariah Carey's extended version of the "EMOTIONS" videoclip, and put it into SVCD, and well..., the quality isn't as great as I expected. (it was captured from laserdisc). It seems that the main problem is that this videoclip has many changes of images (sorry if I'm not clear..., I'm a spanish language spoken person. I'm trying my best to be clear. Is this the problem? The images that change constantly and pretty soon?
    You can clearly see the compression on this video.
    Can I fix this, by changing the parameters on the LSX MPEG Encoder 3.5 "MPEG 2 VCD NTSC format" profile?
    Besides, another problem:
    I have realized I can't fast-forward on a SVCD, although I'm adding the "scandisk.dat" file on the VCD. AND, what it suprises the most to me, is that I have an original Mariah Carey VCD, and this function is available for it. Should I copy the files on Mariah's VCD to each and every SVCD I make? Will it work (Of course I'm not talking about the video files).
    And last..., IS there a way to track a whole concert, and then record it (as I usually do with audio CD) as CONTINUOUS TRACKS? I mean, without silences in between the songs?
    Cause If I track a concert, then I got the SVCD (or VCD) stopped each time a video (song) finishes, instead of playing the whole concert without stopping.
    Well, I hope this was clear enough for some of you to help me
    Should I chose another AVI to MPEG-2 encoder? (I'm using the LSX-MPEG Encoder 3.5)
    Thank you SO much, and I'll be online until an answer appears to answer to it immediately

Cristian

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no help? Please help if you know how can I sort out this problems. Thanks so much
    Quote Quote  
  3. read some of the other threads.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yeshi on 2001-10-16 20:55:54 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can't seem to find an answer to my questions in the other posts. I'll keep on waiting for someone who knows about this to help me.
    Thanks anyway for your answer

Cristian
    Quote Quote  
  5. can't help you much cause i've just started working with SVCD. my question is why get down to 15 min on a cd? i guess 15 isn't so bad if you have a changer but wouldn't you go through ALOT of cd's? my quest is to get 45 min SVCD on a cd with better quality than i've been getting with 45 on a standard VCD...good luck.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You'll never be limited to 15 mins per disk for svcd. In order to have that small of a playtime you'd have to use a way non-standard bitrate, and most dvd players wouldnt even be able to play it, and furthermore, all that extra bitrate does absolutely nothing for captured material.

cristiangatti: First off keep in mind that your final svcd will only be as good as your source. Always try to capture in a higher resolution than what your converting to. You may even want to convert to a lower nonstandard resolution like 352x480 or 352x240 (for ntsc.) It will still play correctly on your dvd player even though its technically not a svcd anymore.

lsx isnt that great of an encoder. I'd strongly recommend getting TMPGenc and least trying one encode out with it. You will probably see a big quality increase just with the standard settings. Try messing around with the noise filters as well.

As for the multiple videos... Join them into one single mpg is they arent already. Use a program like TSCV or I-Author to create entrypoint chapters. This way it plays seamlessly but you can still jump to specific chapter markers. Instructions on how to do this are in the AUTHOR section.

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again
    alucard2050: no, my intention is not to put just 15 minutes in one single cd: I meant the most important thing to me is to get the best possible quality out of an avi file burned on cdr on svcd format
    adam: I much appreciate your post and will try this programs you mention here to see what happens
    Again I thank you VERY much for your time and help
    I'll keep you updated about the results I get
    Kind regards

Cristian
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi Cristian!

You should absolute concider experimenting with TMPGEnc. I have found the latest version(v.2...) to be very good in quality. My problem is at this moment what bitrate I can use on my Yamaha s510 player.
    Even if i select 2520 as the MAX bitrate I can see afterwards in a bitrate viewer that the bitrate almost hits 3000! This is a prob. I'll hopefully find out soon... The program can be a bit complicated at first but there are serveral good guides both here and at other sites.
    A good tip is encoding a small part (5-10min) in 1-pass VBR to test the quality and compability with your DVD-player and when your satisfied run the final encoding in 2-pass VBR. It's a noticable improvement in quality!
    Also think of the source and connections from your LD player to your capture card. Use s-video connectors if it's possible with your equipment!
    Hope this helps you in some way, I haven't been at this for so long either!

Regards,
    el-Dia
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi el-dia
    I'll working all day long with TMPGEnc and will post the results at night Hopefully this one will give me better results than the LSX-MPEG Encoder 3.5
    Kind regards

Cristian
    Quote Quote