VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using DVD Shrink 3.0 to back up my movies. Compressing them and then burning with Nero 5.5. Process is slow, but movies are coming out about 99% perfect.

Two issues I am having:

1) I am yet to back up a movie perfectly. At least two or three times when playing back a movie there are scenes that freeze up for six seconds and then resume play. I am assuming something went wrong in the burning process because I can rewind the movie and the glitch is at the exact same place every time.

2) I haven't been able to burn a movie in the past two days. I use DVD Shrink and then go to burn in Nero. I get 99% through the process and then receive the following message:

- Simulation started at 4x (5,520 KBs)
    - Sony DVD RW DRU-530 A
    - Track filing error
    - Simulation failed at 4x (5,320 KBs)

First question is, why was I able to burn for the past few weeks with no errors - yet now Nero 5.5 cannot close out a disk anymore. What could be the issue? I have tired a few different movies and neither were able to burn and close out the session.

Second, how can I eliminate the glitches in the final product? It may seem miniscule, but when watching a movie - three glitches per film get annoying. Is there any way to eliminate that?

I appreciate any help in this process. Thank you in advance for your advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well, according to your error messages u were trying to do a simulation....try burn instead if that was ur problem, if not use imgtools and turn the files that u get from dvdshrink into an iso and then burn with dvd decrypter, try that.

hope this helps, josh
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Josh - I am an idiot. I do not understand what you mean in saying I was doing a simulation. I have done the exact same thing for two weeks and it worked fine until this past weekend.

Opening the disk in DVD Shrink, backing up the disk, waiting two hours, opening up files in Nero, dragging them into the correct folder, starting burn process and waiting for completion. Again, burned probably 15 disks this way with no problem but the past two attempts have failed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What Josh meant was that your "error" message indicates that Nero was possibly set to run a simulation first followed by the actual burn. Check your Nero burn settings. A two hour rip/trascode session is extremely long for Shrink. I can do a whole DVD in about 60 mins and just the movie in 20-35 depending on length on a P4 2.4 machine. You have not mentioned the media you are using as well as whether the glitches occur near the end of the movie or elsewhere. If you are filling avery bit of space on that DVD-+R you will probably end up with glitches toward the later chapters especially with some of the cheaper media. Do the gliches appear on you Bench top DVD player as well as on your PCs DVD/Rom? Usually it will be a case of your particular table top machines having issues with your media. Try a lower speed instead of four. Make sure you are not running any background progs and your Burn Buffer does not empty out unless you have Burn Proof with Nero. You are only using Nero 5.5. Try updating to the latest or simply try another burning prog. I happen to like Nero only because it has worked perfectly well for me and my particular setup. Others prefer diffierent choices to burn. Once you find what works, stick to it. I've had very few problems with my resulting backups when played in all my machines ( 6 of them ) I've also used expensive as well as rock bottom cheap media. All have worked very well.

There a miriad of possible problems that can cause what you are experiencing. If things get too unbearable, don't ignore the possiblity of a Windows re install. I know an individual whose PC is dedicated only to the backing up of his vast and evergrowing DVD collection. He reloads windows every 2-3 month religiously. That's a bit too much for me but I just mentioned this as an example of what that DVD backup aficionado does routinely. One thing for sure, it will bring new life to your machine.

Good luck.
    No DVD can withstand the power of DVDShrink along with AnyDVD!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What Josh meant was that your "error" message indicates that Nero was possibly set to run a simulation first followed by the actual burn.

I originally tried to merely burn it but wasted a few non recordable disks so I did a test & burn this most recent time to avoid wasting more recordable media.

Check your Nero burn settings. A two hour rip/trascode session is extremely long for Shrink. I can do a whole DVD in about 60 mins and just the movie in 20-35 depending on length on a P4 2.4 machine.

Will do. Again, this is all fresh to me. I had merely done CD-R with Roxio until two weeks ago. Nero and DVD Shrink is all new to me and I don't have any friends who are doing DVD-R so I have no sounding board as to what I am doing here.

You have not mentioned the media you are using as well as whether the glitches occur near the end of the movie or elsewhere.

I am using Memorex DVD-R blanks and my DVD writer is Sony DRU-530A. My OS is Windows Profesional and I just reinstalled it three weeks ago.

If you are filling avery bit of space on that DVD-+R you will probably end up with glitches toward the later chapters especially with some of the cheaper media. Do the gliches appear on you Bench top DVD player as well as on your PCs DVD/Rom?

Glitches are showing up when I watch the movies on my home DVD players - both are Sony. Haven't watched on my PC as I do not use it to watch movies. The glitches have also shown up in the first few chapters, middle chapters and in one case, when the credits were rolling.

Usually it will be a case of your particular table top machines having issues with your media. Try a lower speed instead of four. Make sure you are not running any background progs and your Burn Buffer does not empty out unless you have Burn Proof with Nero. You are only using Nero 5.5. Try updating to the latest or simply try another burning prog.

Will do. What is another burning program you recommend that you are having success with. I also have Sonic My DVD on here as it came with the new burner. Will this work? It seems to be tailor made for burning home VHS movies to DVD, but I do not know how to use it with DVD Shrink.

I happen to like Nero only because it has worked perfectly well for me and my particular setup. Others prefer diffierent choices to burn. Once you find what works, stick to it. I've had very few problems with my resulting backups when played in all my machines ( 6 of them ) I've also used expensive as well as rock bottom cheap media. All have worked very well.

Sounds like I need whatever set up you are running because nothing irks me more than glitches on a DVD when replaying it.

There a miriad of possible problems that can cause what you are experiencing. If things get too unbearable, don't ignore the possiblity of a Windows re install. I know an individual whose PC is dedicated only to the backing up of his vast and evergrowing DVD collection. He reloads windows every 2-3 month religiously. That's a bit too much for me but I just mentioned this as an example of what that DVD backup aficionado does routinely. One thing for sure, it will bring new life to your machine.

As mentioned, the reinstall was done less than a month ago as I had other issues and I've burned a dozen movies since so I think I am OK there. I am just baffled as to why things were rolling 99% smoothly and now I cannot close out a session.

Thanks for all the help. Extremely apprecaited.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    memorex dvd-r =/. i know memorex was a great band with cd's but i've heard a lot of bad stuff about there dvd-r's, several complaints, might wanna try different media man. i use ritek G04's and like them a lot, try going to www.rima.com and ordering a sample pack if u want.

josh
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Based upon my experience, I'd say it could be media or burn speed. Memorex -R media is well known for having issues, while the +R is much more reliable. To combat this before buying new media, try burning at 1x.

I agree that it should not take 2 hours to process your movie with shrink. Something u may look at is whether or not you have something running in the background at all times. SETI, being online, or some RAM monitoring software can slow down your system to a crawl and cause glitches in processing and burning. Some virus software actually tries to scan the DVD as u burn it. No doubt, this can slow down and interfere with the process also.

If you have more than 2 or 3 tiny icons loaded up at the bottom right of your screen, I bet you have some RAM resident programs hogging up your processor and ram. Some other suggestions are....

Use RW media until you get your technique down.
    Check the *Deep analysis* box in Shrink.
    Update your Nero and stop doing simulations
    Get yourself in the habit of viewing the newly burnt DVD on yer puter. Let it pass that test first before trying it on your standalone. If it won't play on yer puter, you can't expect it to play on yer Sony SA.

My 2 cents.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jtoolman2000 and I ... we are the lucky ones.

Check my details for what I have to play with.

I use cheap media too. But DVD-R 1X burns ... do take a while and allow more opportunities for something to go wrong. That is one reason I bought a Backup Battery System "UPS" ... not really powerful but good enuff to stop the reboots when the electricity flickers.

Simulation wize ... your error messages you posted ... has the word "Simulation"

I haven't experienced the problem your having. I get little pauses once in awhile ... they last long enuff to get worried and then the movie resumes.

One time ... day or two ago ... I used rewind/back space ... whatever it is we call it on my JVC 500BK remote control ... to go back a few seconds .... and LOTR played thru the trouble spot. Sometimes on other movies ... I get a pause and figure that was the spot where the dual layer kicked in.

Anything running in the background ??

I don't surf the net or my computer while burning. Edonkey is on ... downloading files but that is it.

Well anyways good luck ... I use Nero 6302 to burn DVDs ... and Nero Recode 2 ... to rerender them.

I did use DVDShrink 3 B5 but I like the disable feature.

I don't need five movie trailers ... like Jeepers Creepers 2 has on it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same stutter problems in films using my standalone player my solution was to use 90% Compression Maximum which resulted in perfect non stuttering DVD-R's , I appreciate this can seem unecessary for some disks but for my situation it made all the difference . I can only presume by standalone player could not cope with the full bandwith which makes little sense until I tried the 90% Compression bit .
    Quote Quote  
  10. You might try DVDinfoPRO, you can run read error tests, also you can find out the manufacturer code. A glitch in the same spot each play tends to make it unlikely that your player is the problem. Once you have the code from your discs, you can check DVD Media at left, also DVD Players.

Apart from media, why not take the suggestion to use IMGTools to make an ISO image and burn with DVDDecrypter? In settings you can specify burning with DVDDecrypter. IMGTools classic is freeware.

This is a process of elimination, often. If a different burning method works, there's your answer. Or it could be bad media, or too many things running on an old machine, or outdated firmware, or software conflicts or... whatever. Up to you to find out.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might try DVDinfoPRO, you can run read error tests, also you can find out the manufacturer code. A glitch in the same spot each play tends to make it unlikely that your player is the problem. Once you have the code from your discs, you can check DVD Media at left, also DVD Players.

I downloaded these programs, but I am still lost. I am not sure how to run error tests or how to find out the manufacturer's code.

Apart from media, why not take the suggestion to use IMGTools to make an ISO image and burn with DVDDecrypter? In settings you can specify burning with DVDDecrypter. IMGTools classic is freeware.

I have IMGTools now and DVDDecrypter. I ran the disk in Decrypter but then didn't know what to do with it afterwards.

I attempted to burn in Nero 6 (was using 5.5 until yesterday when I got the newer version) and a strange window appeared that is not in 5.5.

Usually I just drag all the files into the Video_TS folder and we are good to go. Now I drag those files and a window pops up asking where I want to save a particular image file. Again, no clue what to do with this. Tried to save it to a few places, but as expected I was wrong and the burned disk didn't work.

Again, things were working fine (albeit extremely SLOW) the past few weeks, and now I have sort of crapped out and cannot close out a disk 100% with DVD Shrink and Nero. I wouldn't mind getting back to that system but with Nero 6 there is that new "save image" step that is throwing me off. Where should I save that to?

As always, thanks to all for their patience and advice.

Is there any supplemental reading anyone recommends to help someone as green as me understand this process a little better?
    Quote Quote  
  12. when i first started backing up dvds i had the same issues as u.
    1st and most important thing: do buy a couple dvd-rw discs! i would've made countless coasters if not for using rewriteable media, so the extra cost is well worth it. i always burn to rewritable first just to c if the transcode and ripping went well and also allows me to preview what the shrunk dvd will look like.

i use dvdshrink (its great for the novice... and i still use it) and started out burning with nero but for the life of me, i couldn't get my standalones to read the nero burnt discs. since u want something simple. i suggest trying copytodvd2.34 or better to do your burn. all u do after dvdshrink does the ripping is open copytodvd, point it to your shunk video_ts.ifo file and it does everything else. check it out here:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/141024.php#dvd9dvdshrink

all my dvd's have burnt and played perfectly since then. i highly recommend trying a new burning software.

the stuttering problem is something i am encountering too now tho and it's with a new brand of discs i'm using. from what i read in past posts, it's usually indicative of bad media. i use memorex +r media and haven't had a bad burn with the dvdshrink and copytodvd combo, but this new media i've bought is showing stuttering near the end of everydisc.
    hope this helps.
    vR
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I noticed a difference between DVD Shrink 3.0 and version 2.3

2.3 has the option to determine your level of compression where it doesn't seem 3.0 allows that. Think that is a great feature - to determine how much you have to compress to make everything fit perfectly.

Does 3.0 just automatically determine what level of compression you need?
    Quote Quote