VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I dont know what it is about these Best Buy stores.....has anyone encountered whenever you purchase an expensive item like a TV, stereo or even a computer system, they seem to try to pressure you into getting their extended warranty? FOr example about 2-3 years ago I went in a BB store to buy a laptop....saw the one I was looking for and was prepared to pay for it (i paid cash for it btw), and the sales guy was asking me if I was going to get the warranty for it...I had declined it at the time and can you believe that they werent going to let me buy it?! The nerve of some idiots. I went ahead and got the warranty, since the laptop was at a good price at the time, but I hate it when they try to force you to buy something that you really dont need.....and besides, in 3 years the laptop I currently have now would be completely outdated by today's standards, so it would be a waste of time to take it in had it needed service to be told that they cant do anything about it and that its outdated. Thats why now I try to go to stores where you arent forced to get extended warranties when you dont need it in most cases. Usually if in a few years it breaks down its not really worth the cost to fix it; i'd just get a new one. Seems to me I tend to know more about some products than the sales people do...LOL Thats why I build my own computer systems...that way im not bothered by sales people that dont know A from Z when it comes to specs. They "think" they know their stuff to try to look cool and all, but if you really get technical with them they get lost fast..lol.

VTM
    I have the staff of power, now it's up to me to use it to its full potential to command my life and be successful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They suckered friends and family more than once. If they get pushy at a store, just push back and tell them "no, quit talking about it" and move on. I've had to do that often with them, Staples and Circuit City.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The salespeople get paid more if you buy an extended warranty, that's why they push it so much. They may get commission at a higher percentage if they also sell the warranty, which would explain why they would be more pushy if you were buying a more expensive item, but from my experience they try to sell the warranty on any and all items you buy.

I saw a consumer reports special on these types of extended warranties that these companies have. Basically they said that most hardware comes with at least a 1 year warranty anyway, and that if anything is going to go wrong with electrical hardware its probably going to happen in the first year, so really don't need the warranty. Its really only worth it if the product is expensive and/or is intended to have a very long lifespan like a tv, in which case the added insurance is worth it.

Most of the people at Best Buy don't really have any experience with the products they sell. Ask the guy in the movie department whether FS or WS is better, and 9 times out of 10 they will say that WS is only for widescreen tv's and that FS is otherwise better.

One time I asked if they had any DVD-r media since there didn't appear to be any on the shelf. The girl said, yeah there's some dvd media right there. I said no thats DVD+r I need DVD-r and she said there was only one type of dvd media and that there was no such thing as DVD-r/w.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Salesmen don't have to know anything. They just have to sell stuff.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adam
    One time I asked if they had any DVD-r media since there didn't appear to be any on the shelf. The girl said, yeah there's some dvd media right there. I said no thats DVD+r I need DVD-r and she said there was only one type of dvd media and that there was no such thing as DVD-r/w.
    Oh gosh....how STUPID can she be??? I think some sales people need to be reeducated...

VTM
    I have the staff of power, now it's up to me to use it to its full potential to command my life and be successful.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My son sells electronics at a big box store.
    He says the commision he receives from the extended warranty
    often exceeds his commision from the actual product.
    Also the sales managers at places like best buy and future shop
    track a salesman product and extended warranty numbers.
    The number of extended warranties you sell MUST be a certain
    percentage of your total sales. If they are not, you get axed.
    My son started out being a very helpful and respectful sales-person.
    He has since morphed into your typical snake oil peddler. LOL

kiki
    Quote Quote  
  7. a local bestbuy i goto sometimes gets $250,000 in sales on good holiday-days
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't have to know what you're selling to work there. You just have to sell it. They sure do push those extended warranties. They make money off everyone they sell. The other day I bought a mouse and they tried to sell me one. I told them no but they insisted. Saying, "If it ever breaks you can just walk in here and get a new one." I said no. So then they tried signing me up for AOL. I told them I got DSL and don't need it. Then they said, "Well, you can still AOL with broadband." I pointed it out on the label that it only applies to dial-up. That shut him up.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will say this first - when I find a really good salesperson, someone who is helpful, knows their gear, whatever, I make sure I get a manager and praise that person to their manager.

but when salespeople have gotten too jacked up about extended warranties, extra stuff I "need" or whatever, I've told them "if you say one more word about [x], I'm going to put this back on the shelf, and go to another store to buy it, after I tell your manager that your upselling cost the store my business."

"uh... gak... cash or credit, sir?"
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's why I don't bother anymore. I do my shopping online. No hassles, no wondering if what you want is on the shelf, no pushy salespeople, no taxes, free shipping, and they bring it right to my door.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Part of my job is retail sales and from what I see from my fellow staff in terms of helping customers amazes me in terms of their stupidity.

Generally when dealing with a customer I'm honest, like if they are going to buy something that is shoddy or overpriced I tell them and suggest something else or go to another store to get the better price.

My feelings are that if a customer gets good, honest service from me they are far more likely to come back again and again even if it means losing my store an initial sale by telling the customer not to buy a product.

I'm not paid commision though however the amount of stuff that I would help sell would outweigh the wage I am paid.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The big stores actually buy components without the normal Mfg warranty so as to sell you an extended warranty. Lots of money there.

Go to the site for a product you buy and check the warranty. It will most likely say "Except Best Buy".

I know this is so for Mag brand monitors. They come with a 3 year full warranty, first year instant replacement. On their site BB is 1 year warranty..

I have had the same with HDDs. A girl brought me a 'puter for repair, more than a year old, called the HDD company, they took the numbers, said it was sold to XYZ box builder, who bought their HDDs with a 1 year warranty, maybe 3 bucks less. Go see them.

Fortunately, in her case she bought the 3 year warranty, and they replaced both the HDD and the MoBo.

It is ridiculous, though. Buy a 9.95 toaster, they want to sell you a 10 buck instant replacement warranty.

For about 10 years I was called to buy a warranty for a gas stove I bought in, I think, 1976. One year, when the girl called, I stroked her a little, said I should have bought it, as my oven light had just recently burned out and it cost me 2 bucks for a new one. I think it was the last time she called.

The oven igniter eventually went too, a 25 buck part. 'Course they were out some 400 bucks because I was too pig headed to fall for it.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  13. @Videotechman..surprised you had that issue with Best Buy..they had a class action law suit against them about 4-5 years ago for that same shit. I remember reading about it and hearing about it. I know the BBB also got involved. Basically, Best Buy was doing the same thing they did to you..said that you couldn't purchase the product...but the employees were also told by top managemt to tell customers that the extended warranty HAD to be purchased along with the product..that's what the "manufacturer" demands. People were pissed but felt they didn't have much option if they wanted their products.

But as I said...It wasn't too long before action was brought against Best Buy...after all the negative publicity Best Buy really backed off the extended warranties....I noticed it first hand...but it appears that now they're up to their old tricks. Even if the sales guy doesn't get you...they have their cashier girls also hammer away at the register...because their system is setup with all the extended warranty info. So they hope to get you sooner or later.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I had the same problem with BB just after Thanksgiving. My mom and I went there to buy 2 LCD monitors. They asked me about 5 times if I wanted the extended (3 year) warranty. Each time I pointed to the box that showed the product (Samsung) already had a 3 year warranty....My mom bought the warranty as she was in a different line. I went back in and canceled the extended warranty and got her money back. It to an act of god and the manager to do it, but they did.......I later returned mine cause the picture wasn't up to my standards. My mom kept hers as it looks good at 800x600
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Didn't read the entire thread but I can say this. Sometimes the warranty is worth it... usually not though.

An example where it is, my Parents purchases a 32" Trinitron monitor, which just a few months out of it standard warranty started to make a horrible whineing noise. BB should be looking at it soon.

It depends on what your getting and how bad having to replace it at the drop of a hate would hurt. I know when I finally can afford an iPod I'm getting it at Compusa to put a TAP PDA warrany on it. But thats because I work for TAP and can just fill out the replacment paperwork myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WHen I bought my camera at Circuit City they tried to sell me an extended Warrenty. When we bought my computer from them they did the same. But with the computer they called us a few times trying to sell it to us. So we told them to stop harrassing us and that if they called back we would call the BBB on them. They never called back
    Quote Quote  
  17. UK Major high street electrical retailers are just as bad. I once had a salesman tell me I needed the extended warranty for the Plasma TV I was buying because "refilling the gas when it leaks is very expensive".

I nearly fell about the place laughing. Plasmas do not leak gas (below 10,000 feet anyway, low atmospherice presuure could be a problem for them) and even if they did, there is absolutley no way they could be refilled.

Needles to say, I did not buy the warranty.

A recent report here in the UK shows that Dixons group (the largest electrical chain in the UK by far, owning Dixons, PC world and Curry's stores) make over 50% (I think that was the figure) of annual profits from sales of extended warranties.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Lots of points of view.... mostly negative from what I read...

Personally never had an issue with BB in the 5 yrs I've been shopping there...
    Also when in BB I don't rely on anyone but myself when I'm looking to decide/purchase... In dong so I think they know enough not to bother trying to pressure (although they do ask at least once as it is part of the deal-io) me into that stuff. I'll buy the extended if I think it's a worthwhile expense........

Check this for more...

http://www.bestbuysux.org/index1.html
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by VideoTechMan
    I had declined it at the time and can you believe that they werent going to let me buy it?!
    Thats illegal surely ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by defense
    @Videotechman..surprised you had that issue with Best Buy..they had a class action law suit against them about 4-5 years ago for that same shit. I remember reading about it and hearing about it. I know the BBB also got involved.

Even if the sales guy doesn't get you...they have their cashier girls also hammer away at the register...because their system is setup with all the extended warranty info. So they hope to get you sooner or later.
    I dont know what's worse.....dealing with annoying salespeople and cashiers, or going to the car dealership to go through the same thing, though at car dealerships more money is at stake there when it comes to getting a decent deal. It just amazes me how well those girls at the cashiers really try to talk you into getting a warranty...one asked me if I wanted to sign up with AOL....told them no I dont care for AOL, and I dont use dialup. Didnt say anything afterwards. I dont know if i remembered the lawsuit several years ago, but I do know that if BB keeps up with their practices, they are going to run alot of people away.

I can understand getting a warranty for a very expensive item, like a refrigerator, a new car (though you get the manufacturer warranty first) or something like that, but something small like a PS2 or even a microwave, I think the idea of pushing an extended warranty like that is very bad business practice. If my PS2 ever broke down, i'd just get a new one, and the microwave I bought when I was OTR trucking several years ago still works, and I have it now in my apartment. I remember buying a 25inch TV at a now closed down K-Mart store 2 years ago and was asked if I wanted a warranty. Told them no....if it broke down it would be better to get another one. Sure enough, the store, along with alot of the other KMart stores closed down.

And usually with stores, especially BB, when you bring it in for service then they give you a hard time saying they cant do this or that.....thats why it pays to read the fine print before doing anything. But unfortunately so many people out there dont, so to the stores these type are always hook-line-and sinker every time.

Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Originally Posted by VideoTechMan
    I had declined it at the time and can you believe that they werent going to let me buy it?!
    Thats illegal surely ?
    It is Craig.....a store cannot deny you to buy something if you want it, or say you can't purchase something unless you get the warranty with it....and with computers you know how they change every few months spec wise. Next time I go to stores like that I will be more watchful with these salesguys....thats why I do my best to avoid them, and if one approaches me, I just tell them Im just looking around and they leave me alone. Thats why sometimes I feel online shopping can be a viable option, but for really expensive stuff though im not sure about yet.

VTM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Best Buy is a retail store, with all the trappings of a retail store. It's similar to kids at fast food chains asking you to supersize your meals. I don't even pay attention to them asking me if I want warranties with my hardware anymore. I always know what I'm going to get before going into Best Buy so I just go there, get it, and check out. I also make a decision beforehand regarding the store warranties. I've only got them on a few items: my USB-powered ZIP250 (in case the click of death happens to it), and my PS2 (which was returned shortly before the 3-year warranty was up because the drive was starting to go). All told both warranties cost me maybe $30. I haven't had any problems with the ZIP drive, but I did return the PS2. They didn't even check the thing out, they just gave me a new one after I showed them the receipt and the warranty slip. I think that was totally worth the money I spent and even the nagging from salespeople to get warranties for other items. But then sometimes it's like the car insurance you pay all your life and then never have to use.

BTW Best Buy employees don't make commission on sales, only on warranties. That's why you hear everyone talk of them.

Being in a retail setting I'm not sure what's worse though. Idiot salespeople or idiot customers. For the most part the local Best Buys here are staffed with some pretty competent people. I've actually learned a thing or two from them, like what the difference between power ratings are for UPSs. But at the same time I'm sure they see their share of people who walk in to the store asking for DVD +/- R media because their Sony 500 burner wants +/- media, not just + or - discs, or something just as silly you can imagine. In fact I don't think I could work at a store that sold computer hardware because of all the misinformation advertising sows on most products these days, not to mention how often people have their favorite manufacturers for things (like Maxtor and WD hard drives, they're pretty much the same damn thing) and won't hear otherwise. And sometimes they're just doing their job by being dumb. Maybe then the customer won't have a clue what to buy and end up getting the most expensive item figuring that will have the best chances of working
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Best Buy has hassled me with warranties before. I refuse to use them. If something breaks, I'll take it to an authorized repair center. Best Buy always wants to clean things, when that's not the problem. Also, after 4 breakdowns, they can replace your Best Buy item with another one, and it may be lower quality (though same price).

Buyer beware. In fact, don't buy anything there at all.
    Quote Quote  
  23. @ VideoTech man..your point is well made and most have been through it. It's unfortunate Best Buy is operating this way again. I guess they didn't get taken for enough the first time around, so maybe this time the financial hit will be worse with another law suit.

I will say one thing though...something that nobody mentioned is that the Best Buy extended warranties are excellent in terms of putting them into affect if you need to. One of my neighbors purchased an HP PC along with a all in one printer at Best Buy about 3 years ago. They got the extended warranties on both of the items. The printer and Pc I think had a standard "one year warranty"..the pc may of had more...and I think their extended warranty on the printer was for an additional year..maybe even two years. What happened though was about a year after they had the printer/fax/scanner...it broke. Under standard warranty..they were screwed...so they took it back to Best Buy with their extended rebate...and Best Buy told them they had a $400 CREDIT to get what they wanted..because that's how much the printer was purchased for at the time.

They couldn't believe it...the printer at that time was only $200 ..so they got the SAME, EXACT printer as well as another $200 worth of ink and paper and other things. I know this for a fact, because I happened to go with them at the time because I needed to get some things from Best Buy myself. I was really shocked when I heard that..because I thought Best Buy would just send the Printer off for repair to the manufacturer..but that's not the case..they really TAKE CARE OF YOU. I still have never purchased an extended warranty...but it really is worth it with them..because if something happens to the product...they'll really take care of you down the line.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by defense
    I will say one thing though...something that nobody mentioned is that the Best Buy extended warranties are excellent in terms of putting them into affect if you need to. One of my neighbors purchased an HP PC along with a all in one printer at Best Buy about 3 years ago. They got the extended warranties on both of the items. The printer and Pc I think had a standard "one year warranty"..the pc may of had more...and I think their extended warranty on the printer was for an additional year..maybe even two years. What happened though was about a year after they had the printer/fax/scanner...it broke. Under standard warranty..they were screwed...so they took it back to Best Buy with their extended rebate...and Best Buy told them they had a $400 CREDIT to get what they wanted..because that's how much the printer was purchased for at the time.

They couldn't believe it...the printer at that time was only $200 ..so they got the SAME, EXACT printer as well as another $200 worth of ink and paper and other things. I know this for a fact, because I happened to go with them at the time because I needed to get some things from Best Buy myself. I was really shocked when I heard that..because I thought Best Buy would just send the Printer off for repair to the manufacturer..but that's not the case..they really TAKE CARE OF YOU. I still have never purchased an extended warranty...but it really is worth it with them..because if something happens to the product...they'll really take care of you down the line.
    I bet you that guy got fired.
    His name was MackemX

Quote Quote  
  25. I bet you that guy got fired.
    It wasn't a guy, it was a lady, and you'd be wrong. She's actually one of two people that are still working at the Aventura Best Buy. She's been the cashier on numerous occasions when i've purchased things. I'm pretty surprised she isn't a manager at least. Do you work for Best Buy? If so, they may do things different where you are..or may do things differently now..but I doubt it. But as I said..I was shocked as hell when I saw they were giving my neighbor a credit. I was thinking it would be a good idea just purchase that extended warranty on everything I purchase..and just "upgrade" for free in the future...of course..there was no guarantee that everything I purchase would become half price..or that the specific models would even continue to be manufactured in the future...so I never bothered.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One of my friends has worked at Best Buy for years now.

That's the deal. You get equal value if it breaks 4 times in that 4-year period. Though newer products can sometime be worse or more expensive, so it's not always a deal.
    Quote Quote  
  27. LordSmurf Wrote:
    One of my friends has worked at Best Buy for years now.

That's the deal. You get equal value if it breaks 4 times in that 4-year period. Though newer products can sometime be worse or more expensive, so it's not always a deal.
    That's a great policy...like I said..I never expected the guy to go on a mini shopping spree AND replace his printer. The printer didn't break 4 times though...so I guess the lady gave him the benefit of the doubt. He definitely made out nicely on that deal though.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Here In the UK, a manufacturer or retailer (not sure exactly whose responsible, but it is often the retailer or their repair dept that you deal with), standard consumer law allows up to 3 attempts to repair a faulty product, after that you must be offered a replacement. If the item in question is no-longer available the replacement must be of equal or greater value AND quality.

In the past, I have replaced a 8mm Video camera with a Super 8 Video camera at no extra cost to me.
    Also I once purchased a PII 300Mhz just after they were first released. Cost a fortune. It had a fault on the PSU which showed up after 3 months, caused overheating of the system, which would shut itself down safely, after 4 or 5 hours of use. The PC was otherwise fine. PC world (or rather their repair dept, mastercare) failed to fix it in 3 attempts. Repair men kept turning up with replacemnt processors! (On site warranty!) Anyway, took it back to the shop, 6 months old, and was toild they no longer stock this model. So we would have to accept 'goods to the value of' the original machine. Just take what you want from the store to that value. Fine, I got a PII 400 machine, twice as much Ram as the previous one plus bigger HD, a new inkjet printer, a steering wheel for racing games, loads of blank CD's, paper, printer cartridge etc and still left the store being owed about £3.50!!

This was not an extended warranty, just the normal manufacturers 1 year warranty and standard consumer rights.

PC stuff in particular comes down in price or up in spec so quickly that extended warranties are not worth the money. If it goes wrong in the 1st year, you are covered by the manufacturers warranty. Even after that you could have a claim under consumer law (have to show the fault was present at time of purchase though, can be tricky). It is often cheaper to take the risk of having to replace the unit after 12 months than purchase the overpriced warranty.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I have only heard this through friends and relatives (who have more money to spend on electronics than I do), but doesn't Sony have some kind of lifetime warranty deal where they will fix anything on one of their products for a flat $100 fee? I could be way off base here, but I know my cousin routinely has his 100 DVD changer sent away to be cleaned/repaired/etc, and never pays more than a hundred bucks. I'm pretty sure he's had a Sony unit replaced when they couldn't fix it, and it was a number of years old.

Wouldn't that make extended warranties for Sony products redundant? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, 'cause I don't have that much experience with them.

As far as regular extended warranties, I guess I can see them for certain things. Some LCD monitors I've been looking at only have 6 month warranties. But with most, I think it's cheaper just to replace it, and most mfr's warranties are just fine.

Maybe it depends on the store, but I've only been hassled about ext. warranties at Best Buy a handful of times, and I shop there all the time. Sucks to be told you can't buy something without the ext. warranty tho'.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Unicron80
    I have only heard this through friends and relatives (who have more money to spend on electronics than I do), but doesn't Sony have some kind of lifetime warranty deal where they will fix anything on one of their products for a flat $100 fee? I could be way off base here, but I know my cousin routinely has his 100 DVD changer sent away to be cleaned/repaired/etc, and never pays more than a hundred bucks. I'm pretty sure he's had a Sony unit replaced when they couldn't fix it, and it was a number of years old.

Wouldn't that make extended warranties for Sony products redundant?
    Well, having been a veteran of Sony (16 years of slavery with them), I saw a lot over those years. I think the warranty you're talking about is called the "Sony Partnership" - their name for the extended warranty plan. Mostly, it was a scam. People got a coupon to have a "checkup" on their unit during the extended warranty period, and would show up a day before the warranty expired wanting the "checkup". Usually nothing was wrong, they just wanted the unit checked out. We'd clean it and make sure it ran properly and just give it back to them. They paid big bucks for a cleaning. Your cousin paid a hundred bucks for a cleaning, which consists of wiping the lens with a q-tip - not a very good deal, I'd say They do have a flat rate repair schedule for almost all products that are out of warranty, except reel to reel tape recorders, no matter the problem, whether it's just a blown fuse or a entire motherboard or chassis has to be replaced. Most of the time it was something simple and the company came out ahead on this system. The flat rate repair schedule varied depending on the product category. I think it was between $49.00 - $175.00 depending on what was being repaired. However, that excludes CRT's in TV's and most cosmetic parts.

However, if there was something actually wrong, during this period of time if they brought it in more than three times, they would be offered a replacement. They could continue the warranty after expiration as long as they renewed before the previous Partnership warranty expired. I don't remember any "lifetime" warranty for a hundred bucks (unless that's something they started doing in the past 5 yrs) - that would be a losing proposition for them, as the unit is bound to fail someday - and they aren't going to replace a $4,000 WEGA plasma set for a upfront fee of a hundred bucks for a lifetime. It's an ongoing thing where you pay every year (or three years, in some cases).

If you continued to pay for years, and began having multiple problems with something you've kept under warranty, you could make out on this deal, much like the BB warranty. However, I don't think it'd be worth it for most products. They've done the cost/benefit ratio and know that even if they lose on a few units, they'll more than make up for it in ones they never have to replace or repair. I think this is true of most ext. warranties on nearly everything.

The other problem was, it encouraged fraud. Some customers would claim that the unit malfunctioned - but we couldn't replicate the problem in the shop, they would bring it back the requisite three times and demand replacement. Or they'd take it apart and break or bend some mechanical part, or short out something while it's on, and say it failed again. Very easy to cheat, very hard to prove they broke it. The worse part is we knew they did it, and yet we as technicians were charged with a "repeat repair" and it goes against our record come time for our salary review. This went on more often than you'd think.

Anyway, for the most part, these extended warranties are not worth the money, and I wouldn't even consider it unless the product was very expensive and costly to replace. Most electronics are reasonably reliable, and if they're going to fail, they usually fail within the first year. After three years, most aren't worth keeping/repairing anyway, time to buy a new one. Use the money you saved not buying the warranty to put toward a new one.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.
    Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny
    Quote Quote