VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am trying to make SVCD's of my DV-movies(home-made). I am using TMPGEnc 12h to convert. I have tried all possible setting(I think) but nothing will make the blocks go away. Is it any magic code I have missed out or something? My new Pioneer DV-535 is a super DVD-player, and should not be the problem. Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem? Please reply!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firstly how is the quality of your input source. You cannot make something that is pretty bad quality turn into something sharp crisp and good, just by putting it into TMPGEnc or anything else for that matter.

Secondly are you using the standard SVCD template?

Which other settings have you been experimenting with?

Are the scenes you are encoding into SVCD very fast movement pictures or very dark?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I have the same problem, and i use the same programs and the same standalone DVD. I had understand (at my own cost in time and media wasted!)if you have high motion in the video, more blockiness will appear. The only solution wich i have sucess is increasing the bitrate of the mpeg2 file, but it doesnt play in the pionner 535 above 2600 bps, so i search too for a better solution!
    A last word: i have try a lot of encoders (cce, lsx, etc), and i come to a conclusion-the best mpeg2 encoder is tsunami, no doubt about that!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    First of all(Aldus4), the quality of the movie is great. I have a Sony TRV-900 camera, and it produces high quality.

After capturing with Studio 7, I edit and play it back to my camera. Then I capture it again(with S7) to convert the movie. So far there has not been any compression(only the effects).
    And yes, it is a lot of movements and motions in my summer-vacation movies.

I have also tried to capture raw DV-material just to make sure it has nothing to do with the edit process. Same result though.

Then I try to convert the .AVI to MPEG using TMPGEnc.
    I have tried most of the templates, and even tested a lot of settings on my own(incresing and decresing bitrate). It seems like VCD with standard settings gives me less blocks, but then the movie is so poor quality that I rather not do it.

Strange thing is that I even tried the 2pass VBR who lasted for several hours, and that was the most horrible result ever.

Maybe I have to wait till I can afford a DVD-burner....?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: daggi on 2001-07-13 03:22:40 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have excellent SVCD from DV (SONY TRV120)
    Just use standard SVCD Template
    then:
    - Motion search to high.
    - Interlaced source / Bottom field first
    - 4:3 (NTSC)
    - Use floating point DCT

It won't get better than that - of course I can't wait for affordable DVD solution.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I used Sony TRV-530 DV to Videowave III and Convert using TMPEG SVCD template But Using CBR At 5000 k/bs And Played back perfect on Apex 703. There is another software that I will try later is the Campeg Encoder that captures to MPEG-2 in real time from the DV only source with no blockieness. You can set the birate manually up to 5 megabits for encoding from Dv source such as camera.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try to play around with the bit rate and the quality setting at tmpgenc. using a bitrate of 2520 on my panasonic 110 is ok.
    regards
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Essentially, I agree with most people here. Make sure your software is encoding to the DV codec. Just use TMPG, max bitrate (2500-2600). Also, I really don't know how good 12h is for SVCD encoding. The author claims that it's better but when compared to the last few releases (which were crap).

I use 12a for encoding to SVCD. Beta12 might be good too but I never tried it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I ran across this webpage - looks like a lot of experience
    documented for DV->SVCD

http://www.geocities.com/aussie01au/2years.html
    Quote Quote