VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Easy way of converting .AVI with AC3 sound to DVD-Mpeg WITH the AC3 sound.

Hi all, i just saw the topic about how to do this, i wrote this guide a while ago, thougt i share it with ya'll. I dont mean to offend the other guide-writer or anything, this is just how I do it...

Greetz and much0s rezpect0s!

GUIDE:

I just wrote this guide for people who want to make GOOD dvd's out of .avi files, with dolby

5.1 sound, and because i couldn't find an easy guide on how to do this.

This guide is maybe not fastest way to do this, but i've done it alot of times allready, and i

NEVER EVER got a dvd that resulted in audio/video out of sync or anything else...

Actually... it took me some time to realize how simple this actually is...

So here's the deal:

Tools required:

Virtualdub
    BeSweet
    Tmpgenc (-Plus)

Step 1 - Audio Part

--- I always do the audio part first ---

Open up Virtualdub and select the .avi file u want to use.

(note: if u have 2 .avi parts first join them using this guide:

http://www.polarhome.com:793/~afonic/join.htm )

Under file select: save .wav and rename the saved file to extension .ac3

(note: give it a name u can remember, because we have to convert this file later on to create a

proper one, without the wav header vdub puts in.)

When u got the original .ac3 from your avi, load up BeSweet:

*1 - Select the .ac3 file under input
    - Select where u want to save the NEW PROPER.ac3 file

(Note: Name the new file Proper.Ac3.Audio or something...)

*2 Make sure BeSweet is set to ac3 conversion, leave all other settings intact.
    (like in the pic.)

*3 Hit AC3 To AC3, leave it running, approx 8 mins.

Well u now have a PROPER ac3 stream. (to multiplex with the video later on.)

Step 2 - Video Part

Ok, back to Virtualdub again, open it up and select your avi file.

Then select under audio: no audio

Under Video: direct stream copy

Then file-> save as .avi

(note: name the new avi file NO.AUDIO.avi or anything)

--- so far: u created a new (usefull) .ac3 file and a .avi file with no sound? GOOD! ---

Step 3 - Converting the NO.AUDIO.AVI to .m2v.

First of all make sure what type of .avi u have NTSC/PAL
    (with avicodec for instance)

Note: If u want to add subtitles, i suggest to use direct vobsub, it will auto-load when

converting the video if you name your .srt/.sub or any known format to the same name as your

video. For more info: https://www.videohelp.com/edit#20

Ok, now start up Tmpgenc (plus).

1. Just use the wizard, select NTSC/PAL, hit next.

2. In the next screen, open your NO.AUDIO.AVI as video source.
    DON'T SELECT AN AUDIO FILE!!! Just leave it blank, hit next.

3. Select Other Settings (1) and under advanced set to Full Screen (keep aspect

ratio)
    (2)

Hit next.

4. Since u can only put about 4199,43 data on a dvd, set it to approx 95 % of disc capacity, to

make sure that when u mux the audio, the resulting file doesn't get to big for your dvdr-disc.

5. On the last page select, output video and audio as individual streams.

Hit OK. and wait until conversion finishes.

--- So far, u now got an ac.3 and a .m2v file ---

Note: U can delete the .mp2 file, cause it contains NO.AUDIO... remember

Now u can choose to go on and auther a dvd with the to elementary files, with dvdlab for

instance or u can multiplex 'em together for use with tmpgenc dvd author or something.

Optional: Step 4 - Multiplexing .ac3 + .m2v

Open up Tmpgenc again,close the wizard and select file-> mpgtools-> simple multiplex

Select your AC3 and your M2V file and hit run!

Couple of mins later u'll have an complete .mpg file, with (dolby 5.1) ac3 sound.

Succes!

If u have any comments or questions, just ask me!

Greetz, ElayZ
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ELOY Z.-
    thank you for your guide but:
    re-encoding ac3 (which is a highly compressed audio stream with lossy compression) to ac3 again results in rather poor sound quality -- at least not as good as what it should be...

better to just fix the stream - guides found on this site ....

also besweet is known for producing not quite to spec (or legal) ac3 streams .... great program otherwise ... can't beat the price non the less ..

your guide also doesnt really get into the fact that your method may produce out of sync audio ... or the source may or may not be 24fps or 29.97 fps or 25fps or what size is the source files (frame size) or the use of a bitrate calculator and the use of VBR (instead of the shown CBR) ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    why reencode the ac3?? have you tried just to fix the ac3? or do you get audio sync problems then??

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/186739.php
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, i tried fixing the stream, that didn't work, so i tried this and with me it works super, i don't get poor quality audio, and it runs great in sync, if i try to use that ac3 fix thingie, that works absolutly crap, even with the GUI... it just doesnt work...

The avi's i use are just "normal" xvids/divxs in 23,blabla fps or 25 fps
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ElayZ
    Easy way of converting .AVI with AC3 sound for DVD-players WITH the AC3 sound.

Hi all, this is just quoting ElayZ's GUIDE, with ADDITIONS to specifically avoid possible audio sync problems without extra tools. Left out are the images to save space.

GUIDE:

I just wrote this guide for people who want to make GOOD dvd's out of .avi files for the to day's dvd players because i couldn't find an easy guide on how to do this.

This guide is maybe not fastest way to do this, but i've done it alot of times already, and

this way i got a dvd that did not result in audio/video out of sync or anything else...

Actually... it amazes me how complicated this actually is...

So here's the deal:

Tools required:

Virtualdub
    BeSweet
    Tmpgenc (-Plus)
    Tmpgenc Author

Step 1 - Audio Part

--- I do the audio part first ---

Open up Virtualdub and select the .avi file u want to use.

(note: if u have 2 .avi parts first join them using this guide:

http://www.polarhome.com:793/~afonic/join.htm )

Under Audio select Full processing mode, Conversion: 48000 Hz, High quality, 16-bit, Stereo.
    (Interleaving - Delay audi track plus or minus xxx ms, if your original avi does not look in sync)

Under file select: save .wav, running for approx 3 mins.
    Result is a linear PCM file and can be used straight away in Tempgenc Auth, but your DVD player might require AC3. Then you want to:

rename pcmwav to pcm48000wav.pcm, convert with Besweet to AC3

run the file in e.g. wmp10 to check if the length is equal within a sec to the length of the original avi, a simple indication for good sync.

BeSweet:

*1 - Select the .pcm file under input
    - Select where u want to save the .ac3 file

*2 Make sure BeSweet is set to ac3 conversion, leave all other settings as they were.

*3 Hit PCM To AC3, leave it running, approx 3 mins.

Well u now have a PROPER ac3 stream (to multiplex with the video later on).
    Run the length check with wmp.

Step 2 - Video Part

Ok, back to Virtualdub again, open it up and select your avi file.

Then select under audio: no audio

Under Video: direct stream copy

Then file-> save as .avi

(note: name the new avi file NO.AUDIO.avi or anything)

--- so far: u created a new (usefull) .ac3 file and a .avi file with no sound? GOOD! ---

Step 3 - Converting the NO.AUDIO.AVI to .m2v.

First of all make sure what type of .avi u have NTSC/PAL
    (with avicodec for instance or possibly from Virtualdub File info: 25 fps for PAL)

Note: If u want to add subtitles, i suggest to use direct vobsub, it will auto-load when

converting the video if you name your .srt/.sub or any known format to the same name as your

video. For more info: https://www.videohelp.com/edit#20

Ok, now start up Tmpgenc (plus).

1. Just use the wizard, select NTSC/PAL, hit next.

2. In the next screen, open your NO.AUDIO.AVI as video source.
    DON'T SELECT AN AUDIO FILE!!! Just leave it blank, hit next.

3. Select Other Settings (1) and under advanced set to Full Screen (keep aspect

ratio)
    (2)

Hit next.

4. Since u can only put about 4199,43 data on a dvd, set it to approx 95 % of disc capacity, to make sure that when u mux the audio, the resulting file doesn't get to big for your dvdr-disc.
    All within disc cap, try to change the bitrate (max 8000), for length vs quality, although I have no idea whether anything higher than the original avi (File-File Information) is useful.

5. On the last page select, name the output .m2v

Hit OK. and wait until conversion finishes (takes a few to 8 hours).
    Do the length check.

--- So far, u now got an ac.3 and a .m2v file ---
    Optional: Step 6 - Multiplexing .ac3 + .m2v
    Open up Tmpgenc again,close the wizard and select file-> mpgtools-> simple multiplex.
    Select your AC3 and your M2V file and hit run! Useful to check quality and sync.

Couple of mins later u'll have an complete .mpg file, with (dolby 5.1) ac3 sound.

Now u can author a dvd with this .mpg or preferably with the two elementary files .m2v and .ac3,
    use for instance tmpgenc dvd author to create the DVD files, check with wmp and burn (optional trial on RW dvd).

Succes!

Greetz, ElayZ,rahrah
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Just wondering if any of you have tried a little program I have been using for some time now with super results and very very very easy to use it works with ac3 files of any amount of channels or for sure up to 5.1 anyway. It is called VSO Divx to DVD. I have made many dvds using xvid or divx source files with great success. I have even gone as far as putting one whole season of tv episodes onto one dvd however I would not suggest it as the resulting quality has deminished alot. Give it a try once what could it hurt. Also another plus is it only takes aprox. 45 min at most to encode whole movie directly to video_ts folder then use nero to burn as dvd!!
    Later Gforce598
    Quote Quote